Upcoming Events

  • mrarbus
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 4, 2006
      Upcoming Events
      Science Fiction lunch and Movie Saturday August 5th, 2006
      We will choose what movie to see at the lunch. Join us for lunch
      Saturday August 5th, 2006 at 12:30 p.m. in Parsippany,
      New Jersey at Veggie Heaven, a Vegan Chinese
      Totally Vegetarian Kosher Restaurant. The restaurant is located in
      Parsippany, New Jersey at 1119 Route 46 East #8A Parsippany, New
      Jersey after which we will be going to see a movie AT THE
      Parsippany Cinema 12 3165 Route 46 East Parsippany, NJ 07054 973-335-
      7466 which we will chose at the lunch. We do not charge anything for
      any of our events.
      When we go to a restaurant you pay only for what you order plus tax
      and tip. Reservations are NOT required for this event. The
      restaurant is a 100% non-smoking restaurant, is moderately priced,
      has brown rice, does not use MSG or animal products, is Kosher and
      totally vegetarian, has plenty of free parking and is easy to reach
      from nearby highways.

      Here are the directions to Veggie Heaven It is a Vegan Chinese
      Totally Vegetarian Kosher Restaurant. The restaurant is located in
      Parsippany, New Jersey at 1119 Route 46 East #8A Parsippany, New
      Jersey, in a shopping center which has plenty of parking and is near
      Route 80.
      The telephone numbers of the restaurant are 973 335-9876
      and 973 263-8331 the zip code, if you are using Mapquest, is 07054.

      From the West (I-80)Take I-80 East and exit at the Lake
      Hiawatha/Whippany exit. Make a left at the light at the exit go past
      the entrance ramp which would put you back onto Route 80 going west
      and make a left turn into the shopping center.

      From the South (I-287) Take I-287 North to the exit for I-80

      EASTBOUND / Route 46 EAST BOUND. Bear to the left when exiting I-287.
      You will be on the I-80 service Rd. Continue to the first exit which
      is the Lake Hiawatha/Whippany exit then follow directions above.

      FROM THE GARDEN STATE PARKWAY TAKE EXIT 145 TO ROUTE 280 WEST THEN
      Take the NEW
      RD exit- exit number 1. 0.15 miles Keep RIGHT at the fork in the
      ramp. 0.07
      miles Stay straight to go onto NEW RD. 0.63 miles Turn LEFT onto US-
      46 W.
      DRIVING WEST ON ROUTE 46 Continue for two traffic lights (second
      light is
      Parsippany-Troy Hills Shopping
      Center)which is at the INTERSECTION of Route 46 and Beverwyck Road AT
      WHICH YOU COULD TURN RIGHT TOWARDS LAKE HIAWATHA, INSTEAD OF TURNING
      RIGHT HOWEVER TURN LEFT AT THAT INTERSECTION ONTO SOUTH BEVERWYCK
      ROAD,THEN TURN RIGHT INTO THE SHOPPING CENTER ITSELF WHICH IS BEFORE
      THE WEST BOUND RAMP TO ANOTHER HIGHWAY DO NOT TURN RIGHT INTO THE
      BANK BUT TURN RIGHT BEYOND THE BANK AND INTO THE SHOPPING CENTER,
      VEGGIE HEAVEN
      IS NEAR THE HEALTH FOOD STORE AND IS IN THE MIDDLE OF THE SHOPPING
      CENTER, WHICH
      HAS PLENTY OF PARKING IF YOU GET LOST CALL THE RESTAURANT FOR
      DIRECTIONS The
      telephone numbers of the
      restaurant are 973 335-9876 and 973 263-8331 the zip code, if you
      are using Mapquest, is 07054. The restaurant is a non-smoking
      restaurant and moderately priced. The restaurant states that it does
      not use MSG and does not use any animal products at all.
      It is certified Kosher by United Kosher Supervision P.O. Box 317
      Monsey, NY 10952 Phone: (845) 352-1010 Fax: (845) 352-0316
      Rabbinic Administrator: Rabbi Yaakov SpivakFor directions to the
      movie theater click on
      http://www.clearviewcinemas.com/
      To get to the Parsippany Cinema 12 from the Chinese Restaurant
      go out the east exit of the shopping center the Chinese Restaurant
      is in, make a
      right turn then another quick right turn onto the interstate highway
      labeled
      Route 80 West, stay in the right hand
      lane, you will come to the first exit on your right which is Route
      46 take that
      exit merely make a right turn at that exit but not a very very sharp
      right turn
      you want to go straight to the stop sign and make a left at that
      stop sign onto
      Route 511 towards Parsippany Road, which is the first traffic light,
      do not turn
      left onto
      Parsippany Road at that right, turn right instead onto Parsippany
      Blvd. Then just past the next traffic light make a quick left turn
      into the east
      entrance to the shopping center which houses Cinema 12. There should
      be a sign
      that says Cinema 12 there. Go west until you come to the Cinema 12
      parking lot,
      park, and meet us in the
      lobby of the Parsippany Cinema 12 movie theater. You will know us
      because you will have just had lunch with us at the Chinese
      Restaurant.

      We do not charge anything for any of our events.

      When we go to a restaurant you pay only for what you order plus tax
      and tip. Reservations are NOT required for this event. The restaurant
      is a 100% non-smoking restaurant, is moderately priced, has brown
      rice, does not use MSG or animal products, is Kosher and totally
      vegetarian, has plenty of free parking and is easy to reach from
      nearby highways.

      Here are the directions to Veggie Heaven It is a Vegan Chinese
      Totally Vegetarian Kosher Restaurant. The restaurant is located in
      Parsippany, New Jersey at 1119 Route 46 East #8A Parsippany, New
      Jersey, in a shopping center which has plenty of parking and is near
      Route 80. The telephone numbers of the restaurant are 973 335-9876
      and 973 263-8331 the zip code, if you are using Mapquest, is 07054.

      From the West (I-80)Take I-80 East and exit at the Lake
      Hiawatha/Whippany exit. Make a left at the light at the exit go past
      the entrance ramp which would put you back onto Route 80 going west
      and make a left turn into the shopping center.

      From the South (I-287) Take I-287 North to the exit for I-80

[...]

      This event is sponsored by NEW_JERSEY_SCIENCE_FICTION_FANS
      You do not have to belong to NEW_JERSEY_SCIENCE_FICTION_FANS
      to attend however. Anyone who is 21 or over may attend.
      There is no charge for this event. You pay only for your
      own meal at the restaurant, plus tax and tip, and you pay only for
      your own ticket at the movies. We never see your money.
      You pay the restaurant and the movie cashier yourself directly.

      Please introduce yourself when you join
      NEW_JERSEY_SCIENCE_FICTION_FANS and periodically as new members
      keep joining. We plan to get together at restaurants and to go to
      movies. All of the restaurants we want to go to will be non-smoking
      restaurants in New Jersey. All of the movies we want to see will be
      Science Fiction movies. We will see them in movie theaters and if
      people are kind enough, on people's home VCRs, or DVD players, for
      the technologically advanced among us. We will NEVER charge money
      for any of our events. Everything will be strictly Dutch Treat.
      Buy your own movie tickets. Buy your own meals at Restaurants.
      Hopefully a typical event would involve going to a Science Fiction
      Movie and then to a Restaurant to discuss the movie we just saw. We
      also hope to go individually or as a group to any other worthwhile
      events people may know of in New Jersey. If we go to someone's
      home, bring your own potluck yummies to munch on. No money changes
      hands. Please do. Post your ideas for club events. Please do
      come to events. Escape From Your Computer! All of our events will
      be both Smoke-Free and Feline-Free for the cat allergy victims
      amongst us. So if you let us use your home for an event make sure
      it is both Smoke-Free and Feline Free. No drugs or booze will be
      allowed at any of our club events. Please forward the URL and sign
      up info below to everyone who should get it.
      NEW_JERSEY_SCIENCE_FICTION_FANS-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
      This club is for everyone 21 or older. Younger fans should find
      another club.
      Please forward the URL and sign up info below to everyone who should
      get it. Thanks NEW_JERSEY_SCIENCE_FICTION_FANS-
      subscribe@yahoogroups.com
      To start sending messages to members of this group, simply send email
      to NEW_JERSEY_SCIENCE_FICTION_FANS@yahoogroups.com
      or post at the web site.
      The world of science fiction online and in real life appears to be
      expanding in New Jersey.

      the item immediately below is from
      "Janet Lehr" <janetlehr@...>
      Thursday, August 24th 7:30pm Nessah Israel Congregation
      142 S. Rexford Drive Beverly Hills, CA 90212 (310) 273-2400
      In France
      The commemorative event in Paris will take place after the summer
      vacation. Further details about the date and the place will follow.
      In Norway
      Few private meetings will be held throughout the country. For
      further information: gro-wen@...
      In Israel
      Tens of thousands are expected to participate in a series of events
      throughout the day Program:
      Yearning…
      At 8:00 Gathering at the Kissufim(Yearnings) border
      Message from the youth of Gush Katif
      Departure for Jerusalem with the Gush Katif Sefer Torah
      Remembering…
      From 10:30 to 16:00. Binyanei A'huma Convention Center.
      Featuring:
      Personal testimonies, films, theater play, artistic photographs
      exhibition, conferences.
      Gathering together…
      From 15:30 at the Atsmaut Park
      "Remember the past Build the future"
      The public is invited to an exhibit of Gush Katif and North Shomron,
      depicting 35 years in the life of the pioneers and their
      accomplishments. The exhibit will focus on the development of Gush
      Katif in agriculture, education, community and Torah life together
      with the traumatic moments of the struggle and the expulsion
      throughout the plight of the expellees during this past year.
      We wish to express the beauty of Gush Katif as well as the strong
      spirit that leads us to rebuild and dream again.
      We will complete the writing of the Gush Katif Sefer Torah
      Procession to the Kotel (Western Wall)
      We pledge…
      At 19:00 at the Western Wall.
      Prayer for the welfare of our soldiers and the residents of Northern
      Israel
      The Gush Katif Sefer Torah will be kept at the Kotel until B'H, Am
      Israel returns to Gush Katif and to all parts of Eretz Israel.
      We ask you to join us and participate in the writing of the Gush
      Katif Sefer Torah. The Gush Katif Sefer Torah will be kept at the
      Kotel until B'H, Am Israel returns to Gush Katif and to all parts of
      Eretz Israel.
      end of item from Janet Lehr
      some useful urls:
      http://www.israelforum.com/board/showthread.php?t=7249&page=1

      http://openweb.tvnews.vanderbilt.edu/1974-5/1974-05-15-CBS-2.html
      http://www.israelnationalnews.com/news.php3?id=71935
      http://www.algebra.com/algebra/about/history/Maalot_massacre.wikipedi
      http://www.israelnewsagency.com/islamicterror.html
      http://www.aish.com/jewishissues/israeldiary/Awaiting_the_Wounded.asp
      http://www.bnaibrith.ca/publications/audit2002/audit2002-02.html
      http://christianactionforisrael.org/isreport/oct01/silence.html

      A key element of Jewish survival is that Jews meet Jews, single Jews
      meet single Jews, marry, and have children who are raised as Jews.
      to that end we support Jewish singles events and Jewish singles
      groups.
      in some age ranges many more women than men show up at singles
      events.
      however, many science fiction fans are Jewish and many of them are
      single
      most science fiction fans are men
      if you are a single woman and you show up at a science fiction event
      you will be noticed
      the item immediately below is from
      NEW_JERSEY_SCIENCE_FICTION_FANS-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
      This item NEWSLETTER OF THE SCIENCE FICTION ASSOCIATION OF BERGEN
      COUNTY NEW JERSEY SFABC is from a group we are not affiliated with
      but very much enjoy and recommend highly
      OUR GROUP IS, AS MENTIONED NOT AFFILIATED WITH SFABC, BUT WE HIGHLY
      RECOMMEND IT
      OUR GROUP IS NEW_JERSEY_SCIENCE_FICTION_FANS
      Please introduce yourself when you join and periodically as new
[...]
      BELOW IS THE NEWSLETTER OF THE SCIENCE FICTION ASSOCIATION OF BERGEN
      COUNTY NEW JERSEY THE STARSHIP LOCAL
      A NEWSLETTER OF THE SCIENCE FICTION ASSOCIATION OF BERGEN COUNTY NEW
      JERSEY
      .......136 MANHATTAN AVENUE * WALDWICK, NEW JERSEY 07463
      ....................PHONE: (201) 447 - 3652
      http://www.sfabc.org

      .............IMPORTANT! NOTE CHANGE OF MEETING DAY!
      .....................AUGUST MEETING PREVIEW:
      ........7:00 PM: Discussion: Currently Cool (Ice Nine)
      ..8:00 PM: TIM HARPER AND JAMES POTTER OF LONG DASH PUBLISHING

      ..........You are invited to join us at the general meeting of the
      Science Fiction Association of Bergen County on FRIDAY, August 11,
      2006 at Bennett Books in Wyckoff, New Jersey. The store is in the
      Columbia Savings Bank Mall, Corner of Franklin and Godwin Avenues,
      Wyckoff, New Jersey (201) 891 - 8444. Directions appear on page
      two.
      PRE MEETING EVENTS:
      ..........Anyone who has recently enjoyed a good book, movie, or TV
      show is invited to the discussion of Currently Cool at 7:00 PM.
      This is the successor to the Cool Stuff discussion we conducted in
      June but has a cooler name (Ice Nine) and a way cooler moderator
      (Barry Weinberger). This becomes a regular pre meeting event and
      the Final Frontier moves to the first Tuesday of the month as a
      stand alone event. Ice Nine is best known as the super cold ice
      from Kurt Vonnegut's CAT'S CRADLE.
      TIM HARPER AND JAMES HARPER OF LONG DASH PUBLISHING:
      ..........Tim Harper and James Potter are the principals of Long
      Dash Publishing (formerly BooksByBookends), a print on demand
      publisher in Hackensack, New Jersey, which uses InstaBook technology
      to print and bind a trade paperback in as little as twenty minutes.
      ..........The company focuses on several distinct niche markets.
      First time authors who want to get their book into print are the
      most common customer for the enterprise, but there are other people
      who can benefit from the venture's print on demand capability. The
      firm offers editorial, copyright and ISBN registration services for
      an additional fee.
      ..........Additional information can be found at
      <http://www/longdash.com>.
      ABOUT THE ASSOCIATION:
      ..........The S F A B C normally meets on the second Saturday of the
      month and features talks, slide shows, and other presentations by
      people in the science fiction, fantasy, horror and related fields.
      The Association sponsors a number of special interest groups
      focusing on different aspects of science fiction and related
      matters, including activities devoted to books, movies, television,
      animation, horror, and other events. We also produce this
      newsletter and invite you to visit our website at:
      ......................http://www.sfabc.org

      THE STARSHIP LOCAL.......Volume 4, Number 8........
      ...........................Philip J De Parto

      THE STARSHIP LOCAL is a monthly newsletter of the Science Fiction
      Association of Bergen County. It is designed to communicate basic
      information about the activities of the organization to devotees of
      fantasy, horror and science fiction. All material by Philip J De
      Parto unless otherwise acknowledged.
      We also publish a more extensive monthly newsletter, THE STARSHIP
      EXPRESS, for members of the Association. If you are not a member
      and would like to receive the EXPRESS, mail a check for $ 8.00 for
      the electronic version or $ 12.00 for the print version. Checks
      should be made payable to Philip J De Parto, 136 Manhattan Avenue,
      Waldwick, New Jersey 07463.
      .............................-- 1 --
      ...........................DIRECTIONS
      ..........................Bennett Books
      ...................Columbia Savings Bank Mall
      ..............Corner of Franklin and Godwin Avenues
      .......................Wyckoff, New Jersey
      ........................(201) 891 - 8444
      ..........Bennett Books is roughly six miles south and three miles
      west of our regular meeting site, the Bergen Highlands United
      Methodist Church in Upper Saddle River, New Jersey. If you know how
      to get to either the De Parto/Webber residence or to Matthew's Diner
      (the usual post-meeting hang out), you are 90% of the way to the
      meeting site.
      ..........This set of directions was composed by Philip De Parto who
      will be home at (201) 447 - 3652 until 6:00 PM on the day of the
      meeting. You can either call for directions or rendezvous at his
      home to form a car caravan.
      FROM THE BERGEN HIGHLANDS UNITED METHODIST CHURCH:
      ..........Exit the Church's driveway and turn left, driving south on
      West Saddle River Road. Turn right on Allendale Road, the first
      traffic light you encounter. Follow the road for about a mile until
      you encounter Route 17. Drive under the highway and make the first
      right, onto Route 17 South. Then follow the directions from Route
      17 South.
      FROM ROUTE 17 SOUTH:
      ..........Follow Route 17 South past the Allendale Road Exit and
      past the small sign for Cameron Road. Exit at the sign for Sheridan
      Avenue and turn right as you come off the exit ramp.
      ..........You are now on Prospect Street. Head west for six blocks,
      about 7/10 of a mile. You will come to the traffic light that marks
      the corner of Prospect and the Franklin Turnpike. There is a Gulf
      Station at the corner. Turn left onto the Franklin Turnpike.
      ..........Follow Franklin Turnpike south for one block and turn
      right at the traffic light which marks the intersection of Franklin
      and Wyckoff Avenue. (Note: you will know you have overshot your
      mark if you pass Matthew's Diner, St. Luke's Church and the
      Hermitage).
      ..........Drive west on Wyckoff Avenue (which changes its name to
      Franklin Avenue) for three traffic lights (2-1/2 miles). This is
      the intersection of Franklin and Godwin Avenues. There is a Dairy
      Queen at this corner.
      ..........Drive through the light and make the first right into the
      strip mall containing Columbia Savings Bank and CVS. If you pass
      the sign for the Boulder Run Mall and drive over railroad tracks,
      you've gone a little too far west.
      FROM ROUTE 17 NORTH:
      ..........Follow Route 17 North past the Hollywood Avenue, Ho-Ho-Kus
      sign. Take the second Sheridan Avenue exit (Sheridan Avenue West
      Waldwick/Ho-Ho-Kus). Go underneath the highway and make an
      immediate right. A small sign says Waldwick.
      ..........Follow the road as it curves left. Do NOT bear right, as
      you will find yourself on Route 17 South. Just past the U-TURN, you
      will pass a Stop Sign directed at the people exiting Route 17 South.
      ..........Go to the above directions of "From Route 17 South." Start
      at the second paragraph which begins, "You are now on Prospect
      Street." Follow the directions from that point.
      .............................-- 2 --
      ASSOCIATION ACTIVITIES AT A GLANCE:

      ........................West Nyack, New York.
      08/09/06...Wednesday....That's SF 2! SHAOLIN SOCCER.
      ........................Webber/De Parto Residence, 7:30 PM.
      ........................Waldwick, New Jersey.
      08/11/06......Friday....Ice Nine: Currently Cool.
      ........................Bennett Books, 7:00 PM.
      ........................Wyckoff, New Jersey.
      08/11/06......Friday....SFABC General Meeting: Long Dash Publ.
      ........................Bennett Books, 8:00 PM.
      ........................Wyckoff, New Jersey.
      08/15/06.....Tuesday....Topic Discussion: Martial Arts.
      ........................Borders Books, 8:00 PM.
      ........................Wayne, New Jersey.
      08/17/06....Thursday....Special Activity: Dinner and a Browse.
      ........................New City Diner/Barnes & Noble, 6:45 PM.
      ........................New City/Nanuet, New York.
      08/27/06.....Tuesday....Writers Critique Group.
      ........................Webber/De Parto Residence, 4:00 PM.
      ........................Waldwick, New Jersey.
      Upcoming Events
      "Hazak, hazak v'nithazek
      Following the recitation of Leviticus 27:34, we will chant "Hazak,
      hazak, v'nithazek," "May we go from strength to strength." This
      traditional declaration marks the conclusion of reading each book of
      the Torah. Once an expression of support for the Torah reader
      himself at the end of each aliyah, it now marks our transition as we
      shift from the strength we derive from reading one book to the
      strength we will derive from the next."
      The Jewish Standard - http://www.jstandard.com
      Singles
      http://www.jstandard.com/articles/1371/1/Singles
      Jewish Standard
      By Jewish Standard
      friday [aug. 4]
      Singles weekend SawYouAtSinai hosts a Shabbos Nachamu weekend at the
      Sheraton Parsippany for modern Orthodox singles, 20 to 35. Rates
      start at $245 a person. E-mail Candice@... or visit
      www.SawYouAtSinai.com.
      sunday [aug. 6]
      Hike The Mosaic Outdoors Club offers a moderate six-mile, four and a
      half-hour hike in the Palisades. Bring water, lunch, daypack, hat,
      money, and hiking books. $5 for members, $10 for non-members.
      Cancelled if it rains. Registration by July 31, Michael, (212) 678-
      7881 before 9 p.m.
      Hike The Mosaic Outdoors Club offers a slow-to-moderate hike in
      Morris County Park in Morris Park. Visit the Morris County Parks
      Commission Website for directions. Bring water, lunch, and wear
      hiking books. Meet in the parking lot at 10 a.m. $10 for non-
      members. Registration, Hiker_Dood@....
      Singles cruise Jewish singles, 30 to 47 and 40 to 57, meet at 11:30
      a.m. at Lincoln Harbor, 1500 Harbor Blvd. in Weehawken, for a two-
      hour cruise around Manhattan. The cruise, which features buffets,
      (including vegetarian selections), DJ entertainment, and dancing, on
      Spirit Cruise's skyline lunch cruise, leaves at noon. $40 with paid
      reservations by Aug. 3, $45 at the gate. Free parking. (201) 569-
      7900, ext. 435.
      wednesday [aug. 9]
      Empowering love In honor of Tu B'av, Jewish Singles 30-47 and 40-57,
      of the JCC on the Palisades in Tenafly, meet with empowerment coach
      Diane Young to discuss "The Gift of Love," 7:30 p.m. $4 for JCC
      members, $6 for non-members. (201) 569-7900m ext. 460.
      thursday [aug. 10]
      Good vibes The JCC in Manhattan offers a workshop "Good Vibe-
      rations!" with Ari Fridkis, 7 p.m. $15 for members, $20 for non-
      members. (646) 505-5708.
      friday [aug. 11]
      Club Getaway The Mosaic Outdoors Club offers a discount for a J.
      Weekend at Club Getaway, through Aug. 13. (800) 6-GETAWAY or
      www.clubgetaway.com. Mosaic Club membership required for discount.
      www.mosaic-gny.org.
      Let us not forget our people in Israel. Please email me urls such as
      this one:
      http://www.hatzalah.org.il/north.php
      and others you may find so that we may help.
      We also need to not only know the enemy
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/KnowTheEnemy/

      We need to be brave and strong in the face of the enemy. "We
      say hazak, hazak, v'nithazek: be strong, be strong, and strengthen
      one another

      Singles 30-47
      Brunch and Cruising on Spirit Cruises
      Sunday, August 6 • 11:30 am
      Singles 40-57 are invited
      Don't miss this 2 hour lunch cruise around the tip of Manhattan.
      Enjoy bountiful buffets with selections (includes vegetarian)
      entertainment and the beautiful views of New York/ New Jersey. Meet
      at Lincoln Harbor (1500 Harbor Blvd, Weehawken, NJ) at 11:30 am,
      cruise leaves at noon. Free Parking.
      Reservations Required, call ext. 435.
      $40 if paid by August 5 • $45 after this date based on availability

      The "GIFT "of Love
      Wednesday, August 9 • 7:30 pm
      Singles 40-57 are invited
      Join other singles for this fun and interactive workshop with Diane
      Young, an Empowerment Coach. Discover how giving yourself Gratitude,
      Intuition, Forgiveness and Trust, the GIFT of love, makes it easier
      to share that love with others.
      Tu B'Av (the fifteenth day of the month of Av) is observed today and
      is an auspicious time for matching singles together.
      $4 JCC members • $6 Nonmembers

      Walk with Jeff and Lunch
      George Washington Bridge
      Sunday, August 20 • 9:30am
      Cancelled in event of rain
      Meet at the JCC at 9:30 am for carpooling to the Bridge or meet at
      the The Fort Lee News Bar at 10am (140 Main Street). We'll walk
      across the bridge and back followed by lunch at the News Bar
      restaurant (at your expense).
      $3 JCC members • $5 Nonmembers

      Happy Hour at In Napoli in Fort Lee
      Tuesday, September 19 • 5:30-7:00pm
      Unwind and relax while socializing with other singles at In Napoli
      (116 Main St). Enjoy drinks and finger foods. 2 drink minimum.
      $3 JCC members • $5 nonmembers
      Comedy Night at the JCC
      Saturday, September 16 • 8:30pm
      A great night of comedy is here to start of the fall year. Two
      great comediennes will entertain and make sure you laugh Featuring
      Dave Goldstein of NBC's "Late Night with Conan O'Brien and Opening
      act for Dennis Miller and Nancy Lombardo of Saturday Night Live.
      Beer and Munchies. Don't miss this funny evening.
      Reservations required, call ext. 435.
      $18 if paid by September 14, $20 at the door

      For more information contact:
      Esther Mazor, Singles Director x460
      emazor@...

      To register please contact:
      Stephanie Cangro, Singles Administrative Assistant x435
      scangro@...
      http://www.jcconthepalisades.org/articlenav.php?id=83
      Singles 40-57
      Brunch and Cruising on Spirit Cruises
      Sunday, August 6 • 11:30 am
      Singles 30-47 invited
      Don't miss this 2 hour lunch cruise around the tip of Manhattan.
      Enjoy bountiful buffets with selections (includes vegetarian)
      entertainment and the beautiful views of New York/ New Jersey. Meet
      at Lincoln Harbor (1500 Harbor Blvd, Weehawken, NJ) at 11:30 am,
      cruise leaves at noon. Free Parking.
      Reservations Required, call ext. 435.
      $40 if paid by August 5 • $45 after this date based on availability

      The "GIFT "of Love
      Wednesday, August 9 • 7:30 pm
      Join other singles for this fun and interactive workshop with Diane
      Young, an Empowerment Coach. Discover how giving yourself Gratitude,
      Intuition, Forgiveness and Trust, the GIFT of love, makes it easier
      to share that love with others.
      Tu B'Av (the fifteenth day of the month of Av) is observed today and
      is an auspicious time for matching singles together.
      $4 JCC members • $6 Nonmembers

      Progressive Dinner at Papa Razzi in Paramus
      Wednesday, August 16 • 7:30pm
      Celebrate the first day of summer at this elegant yet comfortable
      restaurant (298 Garden State Plaza, Paramus). Menu includes a choice
      of salads, choice of three entrees (including fish dish), soda,
      coffee and dessert.
      Reservations required, call ext 435.
      $28 if paid by June 19 • $30 after and at the door (includes tax and
      gratuity)

      Singles Schmooze
      Sundays, August 20 & September 10 • 6:30 pm
      Spend a casual evening getting to know other singles through
      discussions on various topics determined by the participants.
      Led by Jeff and Elaine
      $4 JCC members • $6 Nonmembers per session

      Comedy Night at the JCC
      Saturday, September 16 • 8:30pm
      A great night of comedy is here to start of the fall year. Two great
      comediennes will entertain and make sure you laugh Featuring Dave
      Goldstein of NBC's "Late Night with Conan O'Brien and Opening act
      for Dennis Miller and Nancy Lombardo of Saturday Night Live. Beer
      and Munchies. Don't miss this funny evening.
      Reservations required, call ext. 435.
      $18 if paid by September 14, $20 at the door

      For more information contact:
      Esther Mazor, Singles Director x460
      emazor@...

      To register please contact:
      Stephanie Cangro, Singles Administrative Assistant x435
      scangro@...
      http://www.jcconthepalisades.org/articlenav.php?id=84
      Singles 50+

      Sizzling Summer BBQ
      Sunday, August 13 • 4:00 pm Rain or Shine
      Enjoy great food like hot dogs, hamburgers, veggie burgers, salads
      and more along with socializing and games. Wear sneakers!
      Reservations required, please call ext. 435
      $15 with paid reservations by August 10, $20 after and at the door.

      Walk with Liz to Summit NJ
      Sunday, August 20 • 9:30 am
      Cancelled in event of rain (call ext. 460. on day of walk if
      questionable weather)
      Meet at the JCC at 9:30 am to carpool ($3 carpool fee) to the Reeves-
      Reed Arboretum or meet at the parking lot at the Arboretum at 10 am.
      Enjoy a walk through the gardens, and includes a hike on dirt paths.
      Lunch in nearby Chatham or Madison NJ, for those interested, will
      follow. Wear sneakers or good walking shoes. Bring water, sun
      screen, hat etc.
      No Fee

      Wine Tasting at Its Finest
      Monday, September 11 • 7:30 pm
      Whether you are a novice or a connoisseur don't miss this wonderful
      evening of wine tasting. Socialize and learn while our wine expert,"

      Stuart Greenwald, of Teaneck Wine Cellars, guides us through a
      selection of quality kosher wines. Wines you might consider for the
      upcoming Rosh Hashana holiday. Enjoy cheese and crackers as well as
      apples and honey.
      Reservations required, call ext. 435.
      $13 if paid by Sep 8, $18 at the door

      Brunch and Cruisin' on Spirit Cruises
      Sunday, September 17 • 11:15am
      Don't miss this 2-hour cruise around the tip of Manhattan on the
      Skyline Lunch Cruise, which includes bountiful buffets with
      selections (includes vegetarian), spirited DJ for dancing and
      listening pleasure and beautiful views as you cruise on New York/New
      Jersey's most entertaining Dining cruises. Meet at the Port Imperial
      Piers in Weehawken at 11:15 am, cruise leaves at noon.
      Reservations required, call ext. 435.
      $38 if paid by September 14, $43 after this date (based on
      availability)

      For more information contact:
      Esther Mazor, Singles Director x460
      emazor@...
      To register please contact:
      Stephanie Cangro, Singles Administrative Assistant x435
      scangro@...
      http://www.jcconthepalisades.org/articlenav.php?id=85
      Directions to the JCC (Jewish Community Center) on the Palisades *
      411 E.
      Clinton Avenue * Tenafly, NJ 07670 * 201•569•7900
      these directions were found at:
      http://www.jcconthepalisades.org/template.php?section=AD

      FROM GARDEN STATE PARKWAY NORTH
      Exit 161 to Route 4 East. Continue directions from Route 4.

      FROM GARDEN STATE PARKWAY SOUTH
      Exit 163 to Route 17 South to Route 4 East.
      FROM NEW JERSEY TURNPIKE
      Exit 18 to Route 46 East to Grand Avenue. Proceed North past Route 4
      and continue as described below (from Route 4).

      FROM I-80 EAST
      To Garden State Parkway North to Exit 161 and then to Route 4 East.
      FROM ROUTE 4
      Exit at Grand Avenue/Englewood. Follow Grand Avenue North about 1
      mile, where it
      becomes Engle Street. Continue on Engle Street past Englewood
      Hospital. 2nd
      Traffic light past hospital make right onto E. Clinton Avenue. JCC is
      approximately 1 mile on left.

      FROM NEW YORK CITY & LONG ISLAND
      Go over George Washington Bridge to Palisades Parkway North. Get off
      at Exit 1,
      Englewood Cliffs & Palisades Avenue. Make right and go to 1st light.
      At light
      make a right onto Route 9W No. At 4th light make a left onto E.
      Clinton Avenue.
      JCC is ¾ mile on right.

      FROM SOUTH OR WEST
      Take New Jersey Turnpike (95) No. or Route 80 East to Broad Ave.
      Exit. Bear
      right onto Broad Ave. toward Englewood. Broad Ave. will become Dana
      Place. Take
      Dana Place to end. Make right onto E. Palisades Ave. At 3rd block
      (on left) make
      left onto No. Woodland Street to end. Make right onto E. Clinton
      Avenue.
      JCC immediately on left.

      FROM NORTH
      Take Palisades Parkway South and get off at Exit 2. Make left off
      ramp onto
      Route 9W South. At 3rd light make right onto E. Clinton Avenue. JCC
      is ¾ mile on right.

      FROM TAPPAN ZEE BRIDGE
      To Exit 13 So. (Palisades Parkway So.) to Exit 2. Proceed as above
      from North.

      FROM CONNECTICUT (Stamford)
      Route I 95 So. to 287 West to Tappan Zee Bridge. Proceed as above.
[...]

      From the West (I-80)Take I-80 East and exit at the Lake
      Hiawatha/Whippany exit. Make a left at the light at the exit go past
      the entrance ramp which would put you back onto Route 80 going west
      and make a left turn into the shopping center.

      From the South (I-287) Take I-287 North to the exit for I-80

[...]

      From the West (I-80)Take I-80 East and exit at the Lake
      Hiawatha/Whippany exit. Make a left at the light at the exit go past
      the entrance ramp which would put you back onto Route 80 going west
      and make a left turn into the shopping center.

      From the South (I-287) Take I-287 North to the exit for I-80

[...]

      One book which dealt with Jewish fantasy and science fiction authors
      was:
      Wandering stars; an anthology of Jewish fantasy and science fiction.
      by Jack Dann
      Type: English : Book : Fiction
      Publisher: New York, Harper & Row [1974]
      ISBN: 0060109440 OCLC: 730681

      Many science fiction writers from Isaac Asimov to Robert Silverberg
      have been Jewish.
      I hope to see as many Jewish science fiction writers as possible
      discussed at
      the various
      science fiction online and real life clubs in New Jersey and
      elsewhere.
      Many science fiction fans are Jewish. Not all, but many.
      Many science fiction fans are also male. Not all, but many.
      A free fantastic Jewish singles resource
      can be found at the url below

      http://www.thejewishpeople.org/

      You may post your own introductions there, with our without photos
      of yourself and may also search for other Jewish singles there
      by state, gender, age range, etc.

      Everything there is free.

      We have no connections whatsoever to the site,
      but if you do post your photo there you may wish to
      include the url where your photo may be found at that
      site, in your introductions, and responses to other introductions,
      that you post at our Yahoo Jewish singles groups.

      Please state that you are Jewish, Single, 21 or over, when you apply
      to join our Jewish Singles Yahoo Groups

      Post message: JewishSinglesOfNJ@yahoogroups.com
      Subscribe: JewishSinglesOfNJ-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

      Post message: JewishSinglesinNJforIsrael@yahoogroups.com
      Subscribe: JewishSinglesinNJforIsrael-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

      Post message: JewishSinglesFromEverywhere@yahoogroups.com
      Subscribe: JewishSinglesFromEverywhere-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

      You do not have to be single to join :
      Post message: OperationCSPAN@yahoogroups.com
      Subscribe: OperationCSPAN-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
      Help to counter anti-Israel, anti-Semitic callers to
      CSPAN programs such as Washington Journal, by making your own pro-
      Israel, pro-Jewish, pro-Zionist, calls to those same CSPAN programs.

      We highly recommend http://www.jewsforjudaism.org/
      "the Jewish community's leading response to the multi-million dollar
      efforts of cults and evangelical" (Xtians) "who target Jews for
      conversion."
      (Meshugeneh means crazy in Yiddish (so-called Messy an eck Jews,
      they spell
      it somewhat differently, are not really Jews, they are Xtians
      pretending
      to be Jews to convert Jews to their Xtian religion.)
      Photo is from a satellite in space showing Israel and the part of
      the world Israel is in.
      Please also do your part to help Israel by joining pro-Israel groups
      both on line and in real life.
      Some pro-Israel on line groups are listed below:

      Post message: IsraelAndAmericaTogetherForVictory@yahoogroups.com
      Subscribe: IsraelAndAmericaTogetherForVictory-
      subscribe@yahoogroups.com

      Post message: IsraelMustLive@yahoogroups.com
      Subscribe: IsraelMustLive-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

      Post message: IsraelNowAndForever@yahoogroups.com
      Subscribe: IsraelNowAndForever-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

      Post message: IsraelTheBestFriendAmericaHas@yahoogroups.com
      Subscribe: IsraelTheBestFriendAmericaHas-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

      Post message: OperationCSPAN@yahoogroups.com
      Subscribe: OperationCSPAN-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
      c-span, also known as C-SPAN provides much valuable information.
      However, we are
      distressed that programs like
      Washington Journal on c-span seem to provide a forum for
      anti-Semites and enemies of Israel and the Jewish people in
      general who seem to not only call into that t.v. show, but get
      through, and get
      on the air, where they are seldom interupted or cut off by the show's
      moderators. We feel that a 2 minute delay could enable the show's
      moderators to
      screen out the anti-Semites and enemies of Israel and the Jewish
      people, however
      no such 2 minute delay seems to be in place. Moreover the moderators
      of that
      show and others do not seem to be of a mind to cut off the anti-
      Semites and
      other enemies of Israel and the Jewish people in general who
      regularly call into
      that show and others
      on c-span. We have therefore created this Yahoo Group in the hopes
      that members
      of the group will become regular viewers of c-span and will call in
      regularly to
      Washington Journal and other c-span call in t.v. shows, to support
      Israel and
      the Jewish people and to counter the anti-Semites and other enemies
      of Israel
      and the Jewish people whose calls are regularly aired on c-span. We
      also hope
      that members of our Yahoo Group will contact their U.S.
      Senators and members of Congress and President Bush at
      http://www.whitehouse.gov to see what can be done about
      the situation at c-span.

      Post message: PeopleForIsrael@yahoogroups.com
      Subscribe: PeopleForIsrael-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

      Post message: PeopleWhoSupportIsrael@yahoogroups.com
      Subscribe: PeopleWhoSupportIsrael-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

      Post message: WeAreForIsrael@yahoogroups.com
      Subscribe: WeAreForIsrael-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

      Post message: WeStandUpForIsrael@yahoogroups.com
      Subscribe: WeStandUpForIsrael-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

      Post message: AmericansForIsrael@yahoogroups.com
      Subscribe: AmericansForIsrael-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

      If you know of other pro-Israel on line groups and/or pro-Israel
      groups that meet in real life please post the information about them.

      Time to Post Your Introductions
      Even if you have previously posted an introduction please post
      another one from time to time as new members keep on joining.
      Please state that you are Jewish, Single, 21 or over, when you apply
      to join our Jewish Singles Yahoo Groups, and in your introductions,
      and when your reply to other posts at our Jewish Singles Yahoo
      Groups.
      Some helpful hints on introductions:
      Because our Jewish Singles Yahoo Groups strip out attachments please
      do not include attachments in your introductions. If a photo of you
      is available on the net please do include the url for that photo, if
      you are not shy about it. Another option would be to offer to email
      your photo in your introduction.
      Some Hints for email personal introductions are below. Please feel
      free to post your reactions to them and your own ideas.
      "likes fine dining", or words to that effect, are a total turnoff.
      They imply that you want to be taken out to eat, and that you are
      not serious about being a partner in a relationship of equals.
      Do not forget to note in your introductions whether you are a smoker
      or not. Non-smokers need to meet non-smokers. Do not waste the time
      of a non-smoker if you are a smoker. If you smoke, say so. If you
      are a non-smoker say so.
      Are you allergic to cats? If so, say so. Do you have a cat or cats?
      If so say so in your introductions. People who are allergic to cats
      will have no luck getting people who have cats to part with those
      cats. So do not waste time trying to build a relationship with a
      person who is allergic to cats if you are a cat lover or vice versa.
      How observant are you? Please say something about that in your
      introductions.
      Do you keep Kosher? Please say something about that in your
      introductions.

      Please state that you are Jewish, Single, 21 or over, when you apply
      to join our Jewish Singles Yahoo Groups, and in your introductions,
      and in
      your replies to other introductions, etc.
      Post message: JewishSinglesOfNJ@yahoogroups.com
      Subscribe: JewishSinglesOfNJ-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

      Post message: JewishSinglesinNJforIsrael@yahoogroups.com
      Subscribe: JewishSinglesinNJforIsrael-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

      Post message: JewishSinglesFromEverywhere@yahoogroups.com
      Subscribe: JewishSinglesFromEverywhere-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

      We have no connection with any of the events listed in this post.
      Please state that you are Jewish, Single, 21 or over, when you apply
      to join our Jewish Singles Yahoo Groups
      the item immediately below is from
      Roberta Karstadt-Spencer <roger@...> roger@...
      THE CIRCLE OF SINGLE JEWISH FRIENDS
      Dear Friends,
      Enclosed please find advanced information about our next event. I
      hope early notification makes it easier for you to plan ahead.
      Looking forward to seeing all of you!
      The Circle of Single Jewish Friends
      Roberta (908) 668-8450 roger@...
      Activity: Meet and Eat Lunch
      Date: August 20, 2006 (Sunday)
      Time: 12:00 P.M.
      Location: Home Town Buffet
      561 US Route 1 South
      Edison, NJ
      Price: Cost of the meal off the
      menu/tip, plus $3.00
      For more information, please contact Roberta at roger@...
      or (908) 668-8450.
      Please contact Roberta ASAP so seating can be arranged.
      The Circle of Single Jewish Friends is continuing its movie group.
      If you would like to meet at the mall to see a movie and follow it
      up with a snack and a stimulating discussion, please contact Roberta
      at roger@...
      or (908) 668-8450.
      Arrangements will be made to suit the interests and schedules of the
      participants.

      items below are from:
      SFSNNJ
      Newsletter
      August 2006
      Sunday Monday Tuesday Wednesday Thursday Friday
      Saturday

      6 7 8 97:30p SFSNNJ: That's Science Fiction!Film:
      NausicaaBorders @ Garden State Plaza 10 116:30p SFSNNJ: The
      Dawnhill CampaignBorders @ Ramsey Interstate Shopping Plaza 126p
      SFSNNJ: Face the FictionGuest Speaker: Jonathan Maberry Borders @
      Garden State Plaza
      13 148p SFSNNJ: Suspense CentralTitle: The Green & The Gray by
      Timothy ZahnBorders @ Garden State Plaza 158p SFSNNJ:
      Tripping the Write Fantastic Author GroupAuthor: HomerBorders @
      Garden State Plaza 168p SFSNNJ: Films to ComeBorders @ Ramsey
      Interstate Shopping Center 17 18 19
      20 21 228p SFSNNJ: Themes of the FantasticFuture Meets The
      Past - Time travel Back in SF and Fantasy Borders @ Wayne Town
      Center Mall 23 24 25 26
      27 28 29 30 31