Poll results for NEW_JERSEY_SCIENCE_FICTION_FANS

  • NEW_JERSEY_SCIENCE_FICTION_FANS@yahoogro
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 1, 2006
      The following NEW_JERSEY_SCIENCE_FICTION_FANS poll is now closed. Here are the
      final results:

      POLL QUESTION: Which of the following Science Fiction Writers would you
      count as among your own personal favorite science fiction
      writers?
      Please vote for as many as you wish. After you have voted
      please post your thoughts on your favorite science fiction
      writers. Also, if you happen to be a science fiction
      writer yourself please post something about that.

      CHOICES AND RESULTS
      - Philip K. Dick, 5 votes, 10.42%
      - Isaac Asimov, 6 votes, 12.50%
      - Fred Pohl, 5 votes, 10.42%
      - Keith Laumer, 2 votes, 4.17%
      - Philip Jose Farmer, 3 votes, 6.25%
      - Ursula Le Guin, 1 votes, 2.08%
      - Roger Zelazny, 4 votes, 8.33%
      - Norman Spinrad, 2 votes, 4.17%
      - Andre Norton, 4 votes, 8.33%
      - Piers Anthony, 5 votes, 10.42%
      - Jack Chalker, 2 votes, 4.17%
      - David Brin, 3 votes, 6.25%
      - Eric Blair writing as "George Orwell", 3 votes, 6.25%
      - None of the above, 1 votes, 2.08%
      - A writer you will post something about, 2 votes, 4.17%

      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEW_JERSEY_SCIENCE_FICTION_FANS

      http://help.yahoo.com/help/us/groups/
    • NEW_JERSEY_SCIENCE_FICTION_FANS@yahoogrou
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 1, 2008
        The following NEW_JERSEY_SCIENCE_FICTION_FANS poll is now closed. Here are the
        final results:

        POLL QUESTION: Should NEW_JERSEY_SCIENCE_FICTION_FANS do singles events for
        Single Science Fiction fans?

        Please choose as many answers as you wish.

        CHOICES AND RESULTS
        - YES, 6 votes, 13.64%
        - NO, 0 votes, 0.00%
        - YES Singles Brunches at Restaurants on Weekends, 6 votes, 13.64%
        - YES Singles Dinners at Restaurants, 6 votes, 13.64%
        - YES Singles Movie Events, 6 votes, 13.64%
        - YES Singles House Parties, 4 votes, 9.09%
        - YES Singles Lunches at Restaurants on weekends, 6 votes, 13.64%
        - I will post my thoughts on this idea at the club website, 3 votes, 6.82%
        - I will help to publicize Sci-Fi Singles Events, 3 votes, 6.82%
        - I will invite friends to go to Sci-Fi Singles Events, 4 votes, 9.09%

        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 1, 2008
          The following NEW_JERSEY_SCIENCE_FICTION_FANS poll is now closed. Here are the
          final results:

          POLL QUESTION: Planning for Future NEW_JERSEY_SCIENCE_FICTION_FANS events
          could use your input. Please vote for as many selections in
          this poll as your wish. If you are willing to host an event
          or events at your home the location must be easy to find,
          parking must be easily available, the location must be
          smoke-free and feline free for those amongst us who
          are allergic to cats and or to tobacco.

          CHOICES AND RESULTS
          - I am willing to attend a planning meeting or meetings, 2 votes, 3.45%
          - I would be happy to join a writers critique group, 3 votes, 5.17%
          - I want to see more singles events for sci-fi fans, 3 votes, 5.17%
          - I think we should go to see sci-fi movies at movie theaters, 3 votes, 5.17%
          - I will post my ideas on what we should be doing, 3 votes, 5.17%
          - I am willing to host an event or events at my home, 0 votes, 0.00%
          - I would like get togethers at restaurants followed by other events, 3 votes, 5.17%
          - We could go to restaurants and then to SFABC events together, 3 votes, 5.17%
          - I think a regular movies and dinner group would be nice, 2 votes, 3.45%
          - I have a great video/DVD sci-fi collection and can host parties at my home , 0 votes, 0.00%
          - I think we should have a regular sci-fi discussion group somewhere, 3 votes, 5.17%
          - I would like to post my own sci-fi short short stories , 3 votes, 5.17%
          - I would be happy to constructively critique posts of short short sci-fi stories, 3 votes, 5.17%
          - I will post my thoughts on what got me into sci-fi, 3 votes, 5.17%
          - I have a great idea for a club field trip and will post it, 1 votes, 1.72%
          - I will post my thoughts on my favorite science fiction writer(s), 3 votes, 5.17%
          - I will post my thoughts on my favorite science fiction movie(s), 3 votes, 5.17%
          - I will post my thoughts on my favorite science fiction tv show(s), 3 votes, 5.17%
          - I think writing and acting in a short short sci-fi play would be fun, 3 votes, 5.17%
          - I could act in one but am not sure that I could write one, 0 votes, 0.00%
          - I could write one but am not sure that I could act in one, 1 votes, 1.72%
          - I am a sci-fi writer of sorts and will post details on that, 3 votes, 5.17%
          - I want to become a sci-fi writer and could use help in becoming one, 2 votes, 3.45%
          - I will post my thoughts on what I think the future of sci-fi will be, 2 votes, 3.45%
          - I will post my thoughts on how we can get more women to come to sci-fi events, 3 votes, 5.17%

          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 2, 2008
            The following NEW_JERSEY_SCIENCE_FICTION_FANS poll is now closed. Here are the
            final results:

            POLL QUESTION: Which of the following Science Fiction Writers would you
            count as among your own personal favorite science
            fiction writers? Please vote for as many as you wish.
            After you have voted please post your thoughts on
            your favorite science fiction writers.
            Also, if you happen to be a science fiction writer
            yourself please post something about that.

            CHOICES AND RESULTS
            - Philip K. Dick, 1 votes, 5.26%
            - Isaac Asimov , 4 votes, 21.05%
            - Fred Pohl, 2 votes, 10.53%
            - Keith Laumer, 1 votes, 5.26%
            - Philip Jose Farmer, 1 votes, 5.26%
            - Ursula Le Guin , 0 votes, 0.00%
            - Roger Zelazny, 1 votes, 5.26%
            - Norman Spinrad , 1 votes, 5.26%
            - Andre Norton, 1 votes, 5.26%
            - Piers Anthony, 2 votes, 10.53%
            - Jack Chalker, 1 votes, 5.26%
            - David Brin, 2 votes, 10.53%
            - Eric Blair writing as "George Orwell", 1 votes, 5.26%
            - None of the above, 0 votes, 0.00%
            - A writer you will post something about , 1 votes, 5.26%

            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 15, 2008
              The following NEW_JERSEY_SCIENCE_FICTION_FANS poll is now closed. Here are the
              final results:

              POLL QUESTION: How often do you get together in person
              with other science fiction fans?
              For instance, do you attend events
              sponsored by the SFABC, such as their monthly meetings
              which are usually held on the second Saturday night
              of each month?

              THE SCIENCE FICTION ASSOCIATION OF BERGEN COUNTY, NEW JERSEY
              201 447-3652 SFABCPhil@...
              SFABCPhil AT gmail.com
              http://www.sfabc.org

              CHOICES AND RESULTS
              - I plan movie and dinner outings for sci-fi fans, 1 votes, 16.67%
              - I show sci-fi films at work after hours, 0 votes, 0.00%
              - I am going to start a meet-up sci-fi group, 0 votes, 0.00%
              - I have pot luck sci-fi dinners at my home, 0 votes, 0.00%
              - I invite sci-fi fans to get together at restaurants, 1 votes, 16.67%
              - I go to SFABC Monthly Meetings , 1 votes, 16.67%
              - I go to lots of SFABC Meetings during each month, 0 votes, 0.00%
              - I talk to people in the sci-fi section of book stores, 1 votes, 16.67%
              - I try to meet sci-fi fans at work, 1 votes, 16.67%
              - I sometimes go to SFABC meetings, 1 votes, 16.67%

              Message 6 of 7 , Jun 7, 2008
                The following NEW_JERSEY_SCIENCE_FICTION_FANS poll is now closed. Here are the
                final results:

                POLL QUESTION: Should the Department of Homeland Security
                DHS, also ask Science Fiction Fans,
                as well as Science Fiction Writers for help?
                DHS Asks Science Fiction Writers to Foresee
                Possible Terrorism
                click on
                http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEW_JERSEY_SCIENCE_FICTION_FANS/message/1068
                for details

                Several items here on this topic,
                can we get some discussion going about it?
                What about asking science fiction fans to do this?
                Seems to me science fiction fans read so
                many different writers that science fiction fans
                could be EVEN MORE EFFECTIVE than
                science fiction writers would be,
                I happen to be a fan and an amateur writer ,
                what do you think?
                Should Uncle Sam ask for help from science fans
                as well as from science fiction writers?
                PLEASE VOTE FOR AS MANY CHOICES AS YOU WANT

                CHOICES AND RESULTS
                - YES DHS SHOULD ASK SCIENCE FICTION FANS FOR HELP TOO, 1 votes, 4.17%
                - NO SCIENCE FICTION FANS ARE NOT AS CREATIVE AS SCIENCE FICTION WRITERS, 0 votes, 0.00%
                - I DO NOT KNOW BUT I WOULD LOVE TO DISCUSS THE ISSUE, 1 votes, 4.17%
                - I WILL POST MY THOUGHTS ON THE ISSUE, 2 votes, 8.33%
                - I THINK THEY SHOULD ASK SPY NOVEL FANS AND WRITERS TOO, 1 votes, 4.17%
                - I THINK THEY SHOULD ASK HISTORIANS, 1 votes, 4.17%
                - HOW ABOUT ASKING COMIC BOOK WRITERS, 1 votes, 4.17%
                - THEY SHOULD ASK GAMERS, 0 votes, 0.00%
                - THEY SHOULD ASK RELIGIOUS STUDENTS AND TEACHERS, 1 votes, 4.17%
                - THEY SHOULD WORK WITH ISRAELI INTELLIGENCE, 1 votes, 4.17%
                - THEY SHOULD ASK POLITICIANS, 1 votes, 4.17%
                - THEY SHOULD ASK CONVICTS, 1 votes, 4.17%
                - THEY SHOULD ASK PRISON GUARDS, 1 votes, 4.17%
                - THEY SHOULD ASK PSYCHIATRISTS, 1 votes, 4.17%
                - THEY SHOULD ASK MENTAL PATIENTS, 1 votes, 4.17%
                - THEY SHOULD ASK DRUG ADDICTS, 1 votes, 4.17%
                - THEY SHOULD ASK UNDERCOVER DRUG AGENTS, 1 votes, 4.17%
                - THEY SHOULD ASK JOURNALISTS, 1 votes, 4.17%
                - THEY SHOULD ASK PHOTOGRAPHERS, 1 votes, 4.17%
                - THEY SHOULD ASK ARTISTS, 1 votes, 4.17%
                - THEY SHOULD ASK MUSICIANS, 1 votes, 4.17%
                - THEY SHOULD ASK COMPOSERS, 1 votes, 4.17%
                - THEY SHOULD ASK SCULPTORS, 1 votes, 4.17%
                - THEY SHOULD ASK SINGERS, 1 votes, 4.17%
                - THEY SHOULD ASK DANCERS, 1 votes, 4.17%

                Message 7 of 7 , Jan 1, 2009
                  The following NEW_JERSEY_SCIENCE_FICTION_FANS poll is now closed. Here are the
                  final results:

                  POLL QUESTION: What do you think about this news article?
                  Please choose as many responses as you wish and please
                  also post your thoughts.

                  FBI aims for world's largest biometrics database
                  Saturday December 22nd, 2007

                  The FBI is embarking on a $1 billion project to build the world's largest computer database of biometrics to give the government more ways to identify people at home and abroad, the Washington Post reported on Friday.

                  The FBI has already started compiling digital images of faces, fingerprints and palm patterns in its systems, the paper said.

                  In January, the agency -- which focuses on violations of federal law, espionage by foreigners and terrorist activities -- expects to award a 10-year contract to expand the amount and kinds of biometric information it receives, it said.

                  At an employer's request, the FBI will also retain the fingerprints of employees who have undergone criminal background checks, the paper said.

                  If successful, the system, called Next Generation Identification, will collect the biometric information in one place for identification and forensic purposes, the Post said.

                  (Reporting by Rachelle Younglai; Editing by John O'Callaghan)

                  CHOICES AND RESULTS
                  - 1984 is here, 0 votes, 0.00%
                  - sounds like Philip K. Dick's EYE IN THE SKY, 0 votes, 0.00%
                  - now on to room 101, 0 votes, 0.00%
                  - how many fingers Winston?, 0 votes, 0.00%
                  - necessary to stop terrorists, 1 votes, 100.00%
                  - norman spinrad where are you now that we need you?, 0 votes, 0.00%
                  - maxwell smart and control vs. chaos, 0 votes, 0.00%
                  - his bow tie is really a camera, 0 votes, 0.00%
                  - shoe phones vs shoe bombers , 0 votes, 0.00%
                  - shoe flies don't bother me, 0 votes, 0.00%
                  - live free or die, 0 votes, 0.00%
                  - when the Sturch (made famous in A Woman A Day) gets this what will they do with it? , 0 votes, 0.00%
                  - Hitler would have loved this, 0 votes, 0.00%
                  - Hitllary Clinton will love this if she is elected and hate it if she loses, 0 votes, 0.00%
                  - come on folks this is serious we are in big trouble, 0 votes, 0.00%
                  - ok ok so stop the world I want to get off, 0 votes, 0.00%
                  - forget about it, 0 votes, 0.00%
                  - Putin probably has it already, 0 votes, 0.00%
                  - Just think what bin Laden could use this for, 0 votes, 0.00%
                  - maybe Huckabee Dickory Dock has this already?, 0 votes, 0.00%
                  - fight the future, 0 votes, 0.00%
                  - fight the power, 0 votes, 0.00%
                  - power to the people, 0 votes, 0.00%
                  - game set and match, 0 votes, 0.00%
                  - end game game over hasta lasagna don't get any on ya, 0 votes, 0.00%

                  http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEW_JERSEY_SCIENCE_FICTION_FANS