Author / Book Executive Michael R Underwood Talk on Saturday, 5/11/13

  • Philip
    Message 1 of 1 , May 1 8:18 AM
      THE STARSHIP LOCAL

      A NEWSLETTER OF THE SCIENCE FICTION ASSOCIATION OF BERGEN COUNTY
      ..........136 MANHATTAN AVENUE * WALDWICK, NEW JERSEY 07463
      ...........................PHONE: (201) 447 - 3652

      .....................MAY MEETING PREVIEW:

      ......................Saturday, May 11, 2013
      ...6:15 PM: Animation Associates: 9 (Tim Burton Animated Film)
      ...............6:30 PM: Ice Nine Discussion: Currently Cool

      ...................8:00 PM: MICHAEL R UNDERWOOD
      ...Fantasy Writer / North American Sales & Marketing Manager for Angry Robot Books

      We expect to have a fun and informative General Meeting of the Science Fiction Association of Bergen County on Saturday, May 11. 2013. Our speaker will be author / and publishing executive Michael R Underwood. He will talk and answer questions about writing and developments in the world of publishing. We hope you join us there.
      We will hold the gathering at the Saddle River Valley Cultural Center, 305 West Saddle River Road, Upper Saddle River, New Jersey 07458. There will be videos and discussions before the meeting. Directions appear below.

      PRE MEETING EVENTS:

      Get more out of your evening by arriving early to take part in our pre meeting activities (and leave time to join us after the meeting).
      Our Animation Associates will present 9, and animated feature by Tim Burton and Timor Bekmambetov. The film features the voices of Elijah Wood, Jennifer Connelly, Martin Landau and Christopher Plummer and starts at 6:15 PM.

      If you want to talk about the coolest news in books, movies, television, comics and more, join our Ice Nine discussion at 6:30 PM. You never know what you will discover.

      MICHAEL R UNDERWOOD, FANTASY AUTHOR / ANGRY ROBOT BOOKS N A SALES & MARKETING MANAGER

      Michael R Underwood is the author of the urban fantasy e-book, GEEKOMANCY, available from Pocket Star. CELEBROMANCY, a sequel, is due out later this year. Mr Underwood is also the North American Sales and Marketing Manager for Angry Robot Books, a U K Publisher which expanded into the United States within the past several years.

      On the Web:

      Official Site: http://michaelrunderwood.com/

      Other Links:
      ..........Angry Robot:
      http://angryrobotbooks.com/
      ..........Michael Underwood at Angry Robot
      http://angryrobotbooks.com/?s=michael+underwood
      ..........Wikipedia: Angry Robot Books
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angry_Robot
      ..........Geekomancy at Barnes & Noble
      http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/geekomancy-michael-r-underwood/1110049211

      ABOUT THE ASSOCIATION:

      Meetings of the Association are held on second Saturday of the month and feature talks, slide shows and other presentations by experts in science ficiton, fantasy, horror and related fields. The Association sponsors six online Google discussion groups and a number of in-person activities devoted to various aspects of science fiction and similar matters, including events focused on books, movies, television, animation, horror, games and similar areas of interst. We also produce a monthly newsletter listing talks, conventions, discussion groups and other activities pertaining to science fiction and kindred genres. We invite you to contact us through our website:

      .........................htttp://www.sfabc.org

      THE STARSHIP LOCAL......Volume 11, Number 5...Copyright 2013

      .........................................Philip J De Parto

      THE STARSHIP LOCAL is the monthly meeting notice of the Science Fiction Association of Bergen County. Its purpose is to communicate basic information about the activities of the organization to devotees of fantasy, horror and science fiction. All Material by Philip J De Parto unless otherwise acknowledged.
      We also publish a more extensive newsletter, THE STARSHIP EXPRESS, for the members of our organization. If you are not a member and would like to recieve the EXPRESS, mail a check for $ 10.00 made payable to Philip J De Parto, 136 Manhattan Avenue, Waldwick, New Jersey 07463.

      DIRECTIONS:
      Saddle River Valley Cultural Center
      305 West Saddle River Road
      Upper Saddle River
      Bergen County, New Jersey 07458

      The Cultural Center looks like a classic little white church, steeple and all. The parking lot is not too large, but it's okay to use the much bigger lot of the Methodist Church diagonally across the street.
      Important Note: The Cultural Center is on WEST Saddle River Road. One block further over is EAST Saddle River Road. Unlike streets in New York, East does not turn into West. The roads are on opposite banks of the Saddle River which is nothing more than a stream at this point.

      FROM ROUTE 17 NORTHBOUND:

      Exit ROUTE 17 NORTH at the sign which reads SADDLE RIVER / WOODCLIFF LAKE. (This is the exit after Sheridan Avenue, Ho Ho Kus.) This exit puts you onto EAST ALLENDALE AVENUE heading East. Stay on road for about 1/2 mile and turn left at the first traffic light onto WEST SADDLE RIVER ROAD. Drive north for 1-3/4 miles. Shortly after passing a brick Catholic Church, the Church of the Presentation, on your left hand side you cross into Upper Saddle River. The Cultural Center is on your left hand side. If you come to a traffic light you have slightly overshot and hit LAKE STREET.

      Note: You will see a sign marked WEST SADDLE RIVER ROAD on Route 17 northbound well to the south of where you have been told to leave 17. If you take this exit, you will eventually get where you want to be, but it will take you a lot longer to get there.

      FROM ROUTE 17 SOUTHBOUND:

      Exit ROUTE 17 SOUTH at SADDLE RIVER / WOODCLIFF LAKE exit. This puts you onto EAST ALLENDALE ROAD heading East. You drive under the highway. Then follow the directions from Route 17 Northbound.
      Note: This way takes you a little bit longer than the exit for UPPER SADDLE RIVER, but it spares you making hairpin turns on steep hills at night in bad weather on an unfamiliar road.

      FROM THE GARDEN STATE PARKWAY NORTHBOUND:

      Take Exit 172, GRAND AVENUE, MONTVALE. (This is the last exit in New Jersey and is just past the Montvale Service Area). Turn left at the exit ramp and head west on GRAND AVENUE. There are a lot of small towns in this area, and the road that you're on will keep changing its name. At different points it is called GRAND AVENUE, MONTVALE ROAD, RAMSEY ROAD and LAKE STREET. At the second traffic light you will be at the intersection of LAKE STREET and EAST SADDLE RIVER ROAD. It has a landmark that anyone in the area will know about: a 7-11 type store called Elmers. Keep driving west. Do not turn. Turn left at the next traffic light onto WEST SADDLE RIVER ROAD. The Cultural Center is 1/10 of a mile down the road on your right.

      FROM ROCKLAND COUNTY VIA ROUTE 59:

      Follow ROUTE 59 until you come to Norris Pontiac in Monsey and turn south at the traffic light unto ROUTE 306. This road is also called EAST SADDLE RIVER ROAD. Head south towards New Jersey. (Note: Although the maps show this road as Route 306, and that's what everyone calls it, after you make the turn, the sign reads ROUTE 73. Don't ask me to explain it.) Stay on ROUTE 306 for 2.3 miles Note that there is a long stretch between the first and second traffic lights.

      Turn right at the second traffic light which is the intersection of EAST SADDLE RIVER ROAD and LAKE STREET. Elmers, a 7-11 type store, is at this corner. Proceed west and turn left at the next traffic light onto WEST SADDLE RIVER ROAD. The Cultural Center is 1/10 of a mile down the road on your right.

      ASSOCIATION EVENTS
      MAY 2013
      05/02/13..........Thursday
      ..........Infinite Images Video
      ..........RED RIDING HOOD
      ..........Webber / De Parto Residence, 7:30 PM
      ..........Waldwick, New Jersey

      05/04/13..........Sunday
      ..........Fantasy Gamers
      ..........Dungeons & Dragons
      ..........Webber / De Parto Residence, 2:30 PM
      ..........Waldwick, New Jersey

      05/07/13..........Tuesday
      ..........Final Frontier
      ..........BUFFY, THE VAMPIRE SLAYER Retrospective
      ..........Panera Bread, 8:00 PM
      ..........Ramsey, New Jersey
      ....................6:30 PM: Optional Dinner
      ....................Panera Bread, Ramsey

      05/08/13..........Wednesday
      ..........Monsters of Horror Book Group
      ..........NIGHT SHIFTED by Cassie Alexander
      ..........Barnes & Noble Cafe, 8:00 PM
      ..........West Nyack, New York

      05/09/13..........Thursday
      ..........Special Activity
      ..........Screening: THE HUNGER GAMES
      ..........Public Library, 7:30 PM
      ..........Allendale, New Jersey

      05/11/13..........Saturday
      ..........General Meeting: Michael R Underwood, Fantasy Author / Angry Robot Books Manager
      ..........Saddle River Valley Cultural Center
      ..........Upper Saddle River, New Jersey
      ...............6:00 PM.....Doors Open. Set Up.
      ...............6:15 PM.....Animation Video: 9 (Tim Burton Animated Feature)
      ...............6:30 PM.....Ice Nine Discussion: Currently Cool

      05/16/13..........Thursday
      ..........Young Fantasy Reads
      ..........IN THE HAND OF THE GODDESS by Tamora Pierce
      ..........Barnes & Noble, 2nd Floor, 7:30 PM
      ..........Paramus, New Jersey

      05/21/13..........Tuesday
      ..........Topic Discussion Group
      ..........Libraries & Book Stores
      ..........The Fine Grind Coffee Bar, 8:00 PM
      ..........Little Falls, New Jersey
      ..........Optional Dinner Beforehand
      ..........Jose Tejas Mexican Restaurant, 6:30 PM

      05/26/13..........Sunday
      ..........Writers of the Weird
      ..........Critique Session
      ..........Webber / De Parto Residence, 4:00 PM
      ..........Waldwick, New Jersey
      ..........Optional Dinner Afterwards
      ..........Matthews Diner, 7:30 PM

      05/31/13..........Friday
      ..........Month End Book Group
      ..........SHATTERED aka CRASHED by Robin Wasserman
      ..........Paramus Park Food Court, 7:30 PM
      ..........Paramus, New Jersey