SCIENCE FICTION ASSOCIATION OF BERGEN COUNTY NEW JERSEY Founded in 1984 by Phil

  • crazyhistorian
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 1, 2007
      SCIENCE FICTION ASSOCIATION OF BERGEN COUNTY NEW JERSEY Founded in
      1984 by Phil who still is the Director

      Second Saturday of each Month Meeting usually with a speaker at 8:00
      PM Discussions Before Meeting at 6:30 PM about 10 p.m. or 11 p.m.
      many members usually adjourn to a nearby non-Kosher diner until
      about midnight or 1 a.m. or so your first meeting is generally free
      members pay $2 for each monthly meeting they attend plus an annual
      membership fee

      not affiliated with NEW_JERSEY_SCIENCE_FICTION_FANS but highly
      recommended by NEW_JERSEY_SCIENCE_FICTION_FANS
      CALL PHIL AT 201 447-3652 FOR DETAILS
      The next SFABC monthly meeting will be on Saturday night September
      8th, 2007 at the Saddle River Valley Cultural Center
      Directions to meeting site:

      ...............Saddle River Valley Cultural Center
      ......................305 West Saddle River
      .......................Upper Saddle River
      ....................Bergen County, New Jersey

      The Cultural Center looks like a classic little white church, steeple
      and all. The parking lot is not too large, but it's okay to use the
      much bigger lot of the Methodist Church diagonally across the street.

      Important Note: The Cultural Center is on WEST Saddle River Road.
      One block further over is EAST Saddle River Road. Unlike streets in
      New York, East does not turn into West. The roads are on opposite
      banks of the Saddle River which is nothing more than a stream at this
      point.

      FROM ROUTE 17 NORTHBOUND:

      ..........Exit ROUTE 17 NORTH at the sign which reads SADDLE RIVER /
      WOODCLIFF LAKE. (This is the exit after Sheridan Avenue, Ho Ho
      Kus.) This exit puts you onto EAST ALLENDALE AVENUE heading East.
      Stay on road for about 1/2 mile and turn left at the first traffic
      light onto WEST SADDLE RIVER ROAD. Drive north for 1-3/4 miles.
      Shortly after passing a brick Catholic Church, the Church of the
      Presentation, on your left hand side you cross into Upper Saddle
      River. The Cultural Center is on your left hand side. If you come
      to a traffic light you have slightly overshot and hit LAKE STREET.

      Note: You will see a sign marked WEST SADDLE RIVER ROAD on Route 17
      northbound well to the south of where you have been told to leave
      17. If you take this exit, you will eventually get where you want to
      be, but it will take you a lot longer to get there.

      FROM ROUTE 17 SOUTHBOUND:

      ..........Exit ROUTE 17 SOUTH at SADDLE RIVER / WOODCLIFF LAKE exit.
      This puts you onto EAST ALLENDALE ROAD heading East. You drive under
      the highway. Then follow the directions from Route 17 Northbound.

      Note: This way takes you a little bit longer than the exit for UPPER
      SADDLE RIVER, but it spares you making hairpin turns on steep hills
      at night in bad weather on an unfamiliar road.

      FROM THE GARDEN STATE PARKWAY NORTHBOUND:

      ..........Take Exit 172, GRAND AVENUE, MONTVALE. (This is the last
      exit in New Jersey and is just past the Montvale Service Area). Turn
      left at the exit ramp and head west on GRAND AVENUE. There are a lot
      of small towns in this area, and the road that you're on will keep
      changing its name. At different points it is called GRAND AVENUE,
      MONTVALE ROAD, RAMSEY ROAD and LAKE STREET. At the second traffic
      light you will be at the intersection of LAKE STREET and EAST SADDLE
      RIVER ROAD. It has two landmarks that anyone in the area will know
      about: a 7-11 type store called Elmers and a Texaco station. Keep
      driving west. Do not turn. Turn left at the next traffic light onto
      WEST SADDLE RIVER ROAD. The Cultural Center is 1/10 of a mile down
      the road on your right.

      FROM ROCKLAND COUNTY VIA ROUTE 59:

      ..........Follow ROUTE 59 until you come to Norris Pontiac in Monsey
      and turn south at the traffic light unto ROUTE 306. This road is
      also called EAST SADDLE RIVER ROAD. Head south towards New Jersey.
      (Note: Although the maps show this road as Route 306, and that's
      what everyone calls it, after you make the turn, the sign reads ROUTE
      73. Don't ask me to explain it.) Stay on ROUTE 306 for 2.3 miles
      Note that there is a long stretch between the first and second
      traffic lights.

      ..........Turn right at the second traffic light which is the
      intersection of EAST SADDLE RIVER ROAD and LAKE STREET. A Texaco
      station and Elmers are at this corner. Proceed west and turn left at
      the next traffic light onto WEST SADDLE RIVER ROAD. The Cultural
      Center is 1/10 of a mile down the road on your right.

      ..........Anyone wishing to receive email reminders for any of the
      monthly S F A B C activities listed below should contact Philip De
      Parto at <SFABCPhil@...>.

      SFABCPhil@...
      SFABCPhil AT gmail.com

      CALL PHIL AT 201 447-3652 FOR DETAILS

      We think that the speaker for the Saturday night
      September 8th, 2007 SFABC event will be
      Barbara Campbell, author of Heartwood and Bloodstone

      "Although I began my career in musical theatre, I've been writing
      fiction for several years. My first novel was published in May 2005.
      You can read more about Heartwood and the other books in the series
      Trickster's Game in the Novels section of my Website. My Biography
      includes descriptions of some of my earlier works (including such
      family favorites as Claudine) as well as photos from my increasingly
      distant youth.

      If you have questions about me or my work or want to share your
      thoughts about writing, feel free to contact me using the link
      below. As this site continues to grow, I hope to post some of your
      comments and questions."
      http://www.barbara-campbell.com/