Hello and Intro

  • HMSL2@aol.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 7, 2006
      Hi,

      Thought I would say hello and introduce our family to those who don't already know us.

      I am Laura and my Dh Brian. Our family lives in Maine and includes our four children Dustin 14.5, Cassidy 6, Nicholas (who will be 4 on Saturday night May 27th) and Cameron who is almost 2.

      We enjoy the outdoors to include surfing, 3D archery and motorized activities. We all enjoy computers,Ebay, Runescape, web design,animals,building,bikes and live to play!

      Dh is a Mechanic , builder, hunter (though 10 years in the woods has been more walking/bonding/talking with the kids than hunting :)

      I wear many hats to include raising Brittany's (spaniels has been dropped from the name but some still us it), small business selling children's toys and list and site owner of Southern Maine Unschoolers .com and OR (the new name) Unschooling Maine .com

      We found unschooling when our oldest left school in 3rd grade. It's been a great journey and one we are so glad we found.

      I just paid for my entry to the convention and am excited to see some friends from 04 and the hotel which we enjoyed last time.

      Where are others from?

      Laura

    • Deb
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 8, 2006
        Hi Laura. I'm Deb, DH is Rick and Joshua will turn 8 the weekend
        after the conference. We're in CT, land of the free as far as
        homeschooling goes in New England. I WOH fulltime as a software
        tester for a CAD/CAM software developer. Rick is a fulltime at home
        dad, who I think had a Brittany when he was growing up - he and his
        dad used to hunt when they lived in PA. We're into books, movies,
        videogames, computer games, Star Wars (and the various related type
        movies like ThumbWars and SpaceBalls). Joshua has never been
        schooled - we bumped into homeschooling before he was born and
        unschooling not long afterward. As my MIL tells it, I called her and
        said "You're going to have a grandbaby and we plan on homeschooling"
        and she was thrilled! We found homeschooling by doing research for
        *her* to deal with issues related to DH's two youngest sibs (he has
        3 sisters, one is 2 yrs younger, one is 15 yrs younger and one is 17
        yrs younger) - she pulled them out of middle school and high school
        and homeschooled them for the remainder of their 'school years'.
        Rick will be taking a class shortly in computer game programming
        using C++ and DirectX and he has done web design for fun and profit
        along the way as well.
      • HMSL2@aol.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 8, 2006
          Wow! Your MIL sounds neat!

          I have heard that CT is a good place to be.

          Did you attend the 04 convention?
          Laura~Maine

          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 8, 2006
            --- In NEUConference@yahoogroups.com, HMSL2@... wrote:

            > Wow! Your MIL sounds neat!
            >
            > I have heard that CT is a good place to be.
            >
            > Did you attend the 04 convention?
            > Laura~Maine

            Yup - that was our first conference of any kind. We spent most of
            our time at the pool. DS loved climbing and jumping off the big rock
            in the pool courtyard. I spent a lot of time in the pool catching DS
            as he jumped off the side over and over and over again. DH is a big,
            furry person, kind of like Santa Claus before he went gray.

            Yeah, MIL is pretty cool. She wishes she knew about homeschooling
            when DH was little (let's see, he would've started K around 1973 -
            hsing was pretty 'invisible' back then). The school actually told
            her not to let him read (when she called to ask for ideas since he
            was already learning to read on his own before K) because he'd learn
            it 'wrong'. She ignored them. She doesn't quite
            understand "unschooling" but she knows her grandboy is wonderful and
            growing and learning. My folks don't understand at all, no frame of
            reference, but they don't interfere with us and they too think that
            their grandboy is wonderful and smart and all that (they live 3 hrs
            away).

            CT is cool because there is NO homeschooling law at all (home
            education, home schooling, is never mentioned). One law applies to
            all parents "educate, or cause to be educated, your children" - how
            you choose to do it is your own business - public school, private
            school or at home. Our battle right now is that the state DoE is
            giving incorrect info to districts, telling them ("unofficially")
            that they can hold up a withdrawal until the parent complies with
            any requirements they see fit to impose, even when the parent has
            followed the letter of the law by delivering (by hand or by
            certified mail) a letter of withdrawal.

            --Deb