IN-18 Nixie clock with caller ID

  • Chris Burtis
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 24, 2008
      Well after what seems like an eternity I think my caller ID (CID) nixie
      clock is finally done.

      Pictures:

      Short windows media video (1.5mb)
      http://members.cox.net/cburtis/Nixie_clock2.wmv

      Thanks to everyone for all of the help!! This list really does have some
      great people.

      I used a Copeland Communications CC-2401K2A-CS5 socket modem for the caller
      ID. This was after spending months trying to build a CID circuit by
      sourcing very old chips. This was really a loosing battle.
      The socket modem is great because it is DSP based, has AGC and is very
      reliable. It even has a caller ID monitor mode with an interrupt pin to get
      the PICs attention when a call is coming in. Great stuff! The
      documentation was a challenge but after a few phone calls I got it sorted
      out. In the video I called our home phone with my cell but used
      spoofcard.com to spoof the CID to protect the innocent.
      Since I used 2 Nixie power supplies from All Spectrum I thought I would use
      their phone number. I hope you don't mind Moses. :)
      For the curious, here is some info on the caller ID format. This small
      document was invaluable!
      http://www.melabs.com/resources/callerid.htm

      I used a 1302 RTC with a TXCO and super cap for the time. I originally
      wanted the CID info to set the time but CID does not send seconds so that
      idea was dropped. Time is set with standard set / advance buttons.
      Since I decided to direct drive the 10 IN-18 tubes I front ended the Russian
      type 74141 chips with 74HC595s to conserve PIC IO pins. I also used a
      74HC595 to drive the colon LEDs. The LEDs are amber in color and shoved
      into little brass tubes to display them. That worked well.

      The PIC code is written in Pic Basic Pro which is an absolute pleasure to
      work with.

      Anyhow, it now has a home on top of our home entertainment center and it's a
      lot of fun when a call comes in. I finally look forward to the phone
      ringing. ;)

      Chris
    • daddyvan2005
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 24, 2008
        [edited by A.J. - please trim quoted material]

        http://ph.groups. yahoo.com/ group/NEONIXIE- L/photos/ browse/454d

        Short windows media video (1.5mb)
        http://members. cox.net/cburtis/ Nixie_clock2. wmv
        <snip>
        -----

        Excellent job Chris! Very beautiful clock for sure. It's sure a big beast with those 18's but a real center piece. I can see the effect of the phone ringing as you miss the call because your watching the display.
        Dennis

      • Jon
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 24, 2008
          --- In NEONIXIE-L@yahoogroups.com, "Chris Burtis" <chris@...> wrote:

          > Well after what seems like an eternity I think my caller ID (CID)
          nixie
          > clock is finally done.

          Wow! That is a seriously good project - well done!

          Jon.
        • Terry Schwartz
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 26, 2008
            Fantastic. I'd love to see your schematics and code :-)

            Terry
          • v_f_d
            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 20, 2009
              --- In NEONIXIE-L@yahoogroups.com, "Chris Burtis" <chris@...> wrote:

              > Well after what seems like an eternity I think my caller ID (CID) nixie
              > clock is finally done.

              Hi Chris,

              I think your caller ID project is brilliant!
              I have a dozen IN-4s on the way and would like to possibly implement your project with them. Would you care to share your schematic?

              Currently, I am clueless on programming a PIC, but have bought a book which includes a PCB for a programmer and figure I will try to learn. I'm just a "traditional IC" sort of guy using common components as building blocks. I have worked on many laptops, such as swapping out drives, dispalys, boards, and processors, but know nothing of programming and very little of regular PCs.

              I did a quick eBay search for the modem board you mention, but had no results. Is it from a "desktop" (or tower) PC?

              Thanks,
              Vince