RE: [NEONIXIE-L] Nixie Caller ID

  • Chris Burtis
    Message 1 of 21 , Nov 10, 2007
      Jean,

      I accept your challenge or at least I did about 8 months ago.
      The design I am working on will use 10 tubes (in-18) when complete. The
      time displays in the middle six tubes xx.xx.xx and when a call comes in, all
      ten are used to display the phone number. xxx.xxx.xxxx

      It has turned out to be a bigger challenge then I had imagined. As they
      always are. ;)
      The biggest issue is that it is nearly impossible to source a single caller
      ID chip anymore. Almost all of them are now discontinued. I have been able
      to source a bunch of XR-2211 1200 baud FSK decoders that will work but they
      require a lot of external filtering to work. Working on that now.
      Here is some info if you care...
      http://www.exar.com/products/tan_008.pdf
      This PDF also talks about caller ID and how it works.

      I also thought it would be cool to use the caller ID time to set the time on
      the clock but caller ID does not provide seconds, it only provides HH:MM so
      it would not be a very accurate time source (+/- 59 seconds). I personally
      have abandoned the idea of setting the time using caller ID.

      Chris

      >Hi Group:
      >I have a challenge for some brave, energetic Person.
      >A 7 digit nixie clock HH:MM:SSS - MM.DD.YY - phone# XXX.XXXX
      >That would get it's time and date from the telephone line.
      >Which is the same time as the atomic clock in Denver Co.
      >It would also give caller ID information when phone rings.
      >All this information is available from a caller ID machine,
      >Just convert to Nixie, with a Pic. Micro.
      >Im not crazy, I just act that way.
      >Jean
    • Bob Coggeshall
      Message 2 of 21 , Nov 11, 2007
        > A 7 digit nixie clock HH:MM:SSS - MM.DD.YY - phone# XXX.XXXX

        I've done one of these.

        http://www.cogwheel.com/nixie/B7971_7Tubes.jpg

        I've been trying to finish the BOM+Gerbers+Drill+Doc and release it,
        but it seems everything in my life has a higher priority. *sigh*.

        ..c
      • Jean Marcrum
        Message 3 of 21 , Nov 17, 2007
          Hey Bob That's Cool:
          (As my grandson would say)
          I would appreciate it if you would let me know more about it.
          You can email me personally if you want.
          jmarcrum@...
          Thanks Jean