Guantanamo Hunger Strike

  • Immigrant Support Network
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 24, 2013

      From: National Religious Campaign Against Torture <nrcatlist@...>;
      To: <truth_force@...>;
      Subject: Guantanamo Hunger Strike
      Sent: Fri, Mar 22, 2013 5:14:30 PM

      TORTURE IS A MORAL ISSUE

      Dear Friends:

      The horrors of Guantanamo continue.  During the past several weeks, Guantanamo detainees have gone on a hunger strike to protest conditions and the detention center’s continued existence. Dozens of the 166 prisoners at Guantanamo continue to be held despite having been cleared for release.  We must continue our efforts to close Guantanamo.

      Here’s what you can do:

      1. Write to President Obama and the Congress and tell them again that they need to close Guantanamo now.
      2. Participate in the Witness Against Torture fast and vigils - click here for more information.

      Marine Corps General John Kelly, the head of U.S. military forces in the Latin America region, said the Guantanamo prisoners began the hunger strike because "they had great optimism that Guantanamo would be closed.  They were devastated apparently ... when the president backed off, at least (that's) their perception, of closing the facility."

      Lawyers for the Center for Constitutional Rights (CCR) who represent the detainees said that the detainees have decided to hunger strike because of “the crushing reality that after 11 years in indefinite detention, there is no end in sight to their suffering.”

      We cannot be silent in the face of this ongoing tragedy.  Please do what you can.

      Thank you,

      Linda Gustitus, President
      Rev. Richard Killmer, Executive Director

      You have received this message because you signed a statement or participated in an activity of the National Religious Campaign Against Torture.

      If you no longer wish to receive emails from us, please click here to unsubscribe from this mailing list.

      Questions? Please email campaign@...
      National Religious Campaign Against Torture: www.tortureisamoralissue.org

      Connect with us:
      Connect with us on Facebook Connect with us on Twitter