Cleveland (CEO) Community Economic Organizing to help foster Solidarity Economy in Cleveland.

  • don bryant
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 1, 2011
      Cleveland (CEO) Community Economic Organizing has been established to help foster Solidarity Economy in Cleveland.
      Presentation and Discussion
      Saturday, Nov. 5
      2 -4 pm
      Cleveland Public Library
      3706 Pearl Rd.
      Cleveland, Ohio

      We received a grant to organize the creation of community infrastructure to support Local Exchange Trading & Barter Networks in Cleveland. These systems are some of the first that will be directed at fighting poverty and will also accomplish the general goal of fostering solidarity economic development via grassroots, consensus-based models.

      Inspired by economic models worldwide, and even models that were used here in the US and other western countries as recently as the 20s and 30s, LETS systems have had a huge impact worldwide since the 70s and have had much success in building strong, alternative local economic networks that circumvent economies driven by greed, malice, and the general ills of neoliberal capitalism. They can help alleviate cashflow at home, build inventories of local skills and knowledge, and help to piece together the building blocks of economies of mutual aid, solidarity and grassroots, collective community action.

      Here is more information on LETS systems & Mutual Credit in general:

      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Local_exchange_trading_system
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mutual_credit

      Additionally, we have been charged with putting together the working committees on rebuilding the Cleveland Food Co-Op. Our intention is to begin as a more contemporary group purchasing collective and distribution hub. This will be another topic for discussion at this meeting.