2242Guantanamo and the State of the Union

  • Immigrant Support Network
    Feb 6, 2014
      ----Forwarded message----
      From: nrcatlist@...
      To: truth_force@...
      Sent: Thu, Feb 6, 2014 4:07 PM EST
      Subject: Guantanamo and the State of the Union

      Dear Friends,

      Last week, during the State of the Union address, President Obama issued a stirring call for this "to be the year Congress lifts the remaining restrictions on detainee transfers and we close the prison at Guantanamo Bay." We agree with President Obama that this should be the year we close the prison at Guantanamo Bay and that Congress should lift the remaining restrictions on detainee transfers. At the moment though, it is President Obama's turn to take action.

      Late in 2013, after years of needless delay, Congress finally passed legislation significantly easing restrictions on transferring detainees to other countries. President Obama now has the authority he needs to ramp up transfers and dramatically reduce the population of detainees in Guantanamo.

      Write the President at: http://org.salsalabs.com/o/2162/p/dia/action3/common/public/?action_KEY=15026

      There are 77 Guantanamo prisoners cleared for transfer. We realize that the President may not be able to transfer all of them right away. For example, he will need to ensure that detainees are transferred to locations where they don't face threat of persecution. Still, that's half of the detainees, leaving only 78 who are not cleared for transfer and require additional action. The Administration needs to follow its own advice in the SOTU and elevate its game to get these transfers moving.

      Please write to President Obama today and request that he act with urgency to use his pen and his authority to transfer prisoners. We are eager to work with the President to lift the remaining congressionally imposed restrictions on transfers, but first we need him to use the authority he already has. You can write the President at: http://org.salsalabs.com/o/2162/p/dia/action3/common/public/?action_KEY=15026

      Sincerely,

      Matt Hawthorne
      Policy Director

      P.S. Check out this cool music video one of our partners produced calling for Guantanamo to be closed: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-tZokkyLSM