La Palabra Poetry

  • Kathy gallegos
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 18, 2011
      La Palabra Poetry

      Hosted by Luivette Resto

      Sunday, November 20, 2011 starting at 2:00 pm

      Featuring poets from Homeboy Industries

      Carlos Diaz

      Alicia Cadena

      Andre Hollis

      Open mic session before our featured poets

      Avenue 50 Studio, Inc.

      a 501(c)(3) non-profit art gallery

      131 North Avenue 50

      Highland Park, CA  90042

      323-258-1435

      http://www.avenue50studio.com

      Avenue 50 Studio is supported in part by the Los Angeles County Board of Supervisors through the Los Angeles County Arts Commission; the Department of Cultural Affairs; the California Community Foundation; the California Council for the Humanities; and the James Irvine Foundation

    • Kathy gallegos
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 19, 2012
        Sunday February 26, 2012 starting at 2:00 pm

        La Palabra Poetry
        Hosted by Luivette Resto
        (Open mic before featured poets)
        Featuring:
        Rebecca Gonzales:  Cultivated by the sun and moon peeking past the shoes dangling from the phone lines, Rebecca Gonzales was raised "one block East of El Pino".  Rebecca collects the energy of the streets with the passion of poetry and sweetness of her son's laughter to find positivity and optimism for the future.  As a mother she is humbled, as a poet she is obedient, and as a woman she is unapologetic.
        Rachelle Cruz:  Rachelle is from Hayward, California.  Her chapbook, Self-Portrait as Rumor and Blood, is forthcoming from Dancing Girl Press.  Her work
        has appeared in Muzzle Magazine, Splinter Generation, KCET's Departures Series, Inlandia: A literary Journey, among others.  She hosts "The Blood-Jet Writing Hour" radio show on Blog Talk Radio.  An emerging Voices Fellow, a Kundiman Fellow and a VONA writer, she lives and writes in Riverside, California.

        Serving Oysters to M.F.K Fisher

        Rachelle Cruz

        “All the Filipino servants, pretty little men-dolls as mercurial as monkeys, and as lewd.” -M.F.K Fisher, American food writer, 1924, The First Oyster

        We slide past the wooden crates stained with salt, crowding the service entrance.

        We pry open the question of lids: slippers of oysters waiting for a tongue to kiss.

        We freeze our hands scrubbing their algaed coats, pristine from the thickness of our bristles.

        We mimic the Pacific's sharp bite and overtake, salt shaking free from our hands.

        We shuck and snap with our pointed knives, unlock, twist the collection of God's gnarled doors.

        We cut the muscle under the shell, inhale the liquor we can't drink.

        We serve gloved young women waltzing, oyster in one hand, the other on wide shoulders.

        We remember our first oysters grown on the ghosts of coconuts, slithered in by submerged ropes.

        We remember the quickburn of rum to chase these heartbeats of ocean, brining our bodies, cruel.

        Ma-dusa.... (excerpt)

        Rebecca Gonzalez

        ...she calls to the suns

        to "count their blessings", when you wipe her brow,

         of the sweat dripping in the heat of her meditation.

        they are "big headed"

        and unruly...

        Palms positioned to the small of her back to feel the birthing process

         you want to touch a time when eternity happens from the

        thick of her thighs

        unruly

        this is heaven un-realized

        "big headed"

        she stomps!

        you can feel her coming in the midst of others who crawl

        they are "big headed"

                             handed

        with "unruly hair"

                        thoughts;

        are punctuated by her orgasm.

        Avenue 50 Studio, Inc.

        a 501(c)(3) non-profit art gallery

        131 North Avenue 50

        Highland Park, CA  90042

        323-258-1435

        http://www.avenue50studio.com

        Avenue 50 Studio is supported in part by the Los Angeles County Board of Supervisors through the Los Angeles County Arts Commission; the California Community Foundation; the Department of Cultural Affairs; the California Council for the Humanities; and The James Irvine Foundation

      • Kathy gallegos
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 22, 2012
          La Palabra Poetry
          Hosted by Luivette Resto
          Sunday, August 26, 2012 from 2-4pm

          Featuring

          Gerda Govine

          Billy Burgos

          Open mic session before program

          Gerda Govine Ituarte, Ed.D., poet, curator and columnist was born in St. Thomas, Virgin Islands and emigrated to New York City in the mid 50’s, and California in the early 80’s.  She lives with her artist husband Luis in Pasadena and Tijuana.  “Writing poetry allows my reservoir of memories and observations to flow freely and bring comfort and joy.  I reflect, illuminate and connect with others using words to create a sense of place.  I am in love with words that anchor, touch and nourish my spirit and soul.”

          Billy Burgos is a poet/illustrator from Los Angeles.  He is a curator on staff at gotpoetry.com and host of Blog Talk Radio’s poetry show Word Ballast where he has interviewed such poets as Nikky Finney, Nikkey Giovanni and Thomas Sayers Ellis.  Billy is also the co-editor of the poetry broadsheet Sic 3.  He has been featured at numerous venues around the LA area such as Beyond Baroque, The World Stage Performance Gallery and The Cobalt Café.  In 2009 Billy was chosen as an up-and-coming poet by the LA Poetry Festival.  His first collection of poetry titled Eulogy to an Unknown Tree will be published in 2013 on Writ Large Press.  At present his one-man art show The Faces of Poetry is traveling around LA showcasing portraits of some of Los Angeles’ most influential poets.

          Sunday, August 26, 2012 starting at 2:00 pm

          Avenue 50 Studio, Inc.

          131 North Avenue 50

          Highland Park, CA  90042

          Ph/Fax 323-258-1435

          http://www.avenue50studio.com

          Avenue 50 Studio is supported in part by the Los Angeles County Board of Supervisors through the Los Angeles County Arts Commission; the California Community Foundation; the Department of Cultural Affairs; and The James Irvine Foundation