Highlights Tuesday 7 Sept.

  • andrew macnab
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 8, 1999
      An index of authors can be found at the end of today's highlights.

      When awake one knows the silent
      eternal presence of true self.
      In transformation one becomes
      willing to include in the truth of Heart
      every aspect of the shadow of
      illusion no matter where it appears.

      An experience of revelation of
      Self may change one's perspective
      forever, but to clear all ideas,
      identities and limitation completely
      takes the vigilance of no compromise
      with the mind, with ease and grace.

      I love the teaching of Meeting each
      thought, emotion and energy fully
      for this reason. It leaves out nothing,
      denials and evasions can be brought
      out and included, and it is simple work
      of awareness - present and effective,
      opening and deepening.

      I suspect that cycling through programs is a sophiticated justification
      delay of being simply present now.

      "It's all here right now." is the beginning. You are right.
      It is also the end. Being simply present ends time, separation,
      confusion, self defense, justification, etc., etc.. That's what's meant
      choosing to die.

      ...let's just experiment a little with unpacking the metaphor
      "awakening". When you awaken from a night's sleep, is waking up the
      of working for it, or does it just happen? If the other (spiritual)
      Awakening is so different from the (non-spiritual) awakening, then a new
      metaphor is called for.

      I definitely concur with what Jan has been saying: "Enlightenment is
      default." That's just brilliant. Whatever work there is to be done is
      with the goal of producing enlightenment (or awakening or what not).
      Whatever results from work is liable to be lost, will be lost. That is
      because something gained is something for which effort must be spent to
      onto it. "Working toward enlightenment" is a subtle trap of the mind.

      Of course, there is always work to do, no doubt about it. The magic of
      though is this: whatever you enjoy doing is not considered work,
      you do well at is done without effort. If I must "work"toward
      then really my heart is divided about it and I'd rather be doing

      ...I am sometimes as nervous as a Doberman on speed. So much so that my
      breaks because of the constriction. This started over 20 years ago and
      often thought I was having heart attacks which were just anxiety
      Just like you I have lately been experiencing a deeper relaxation, even
      work. Just like you I can sense and feel when the stress wants to come
      back, and I am learning to let it pass right through. It came to me
      that there are little repetitive loops, like knots, that come up and can
      drain our energy and block the flow. I guess these knots are what
      call craving or attachment, but I know what you mean they can be felt

      I remember one of my first posts to this salon
      in which I said that I do not 'seek' enlightenment,
      nor had I ever 'sought' a nondual state. It just
      happened upon me, as an 'effect' of clearing away
      issues which triggered reactions in me.

      I *sought* to be free of anger, hatred, and guilt.
      I sought to live from an opened and receptive heart.

      As I mentioned in my post to Eric earlier today, I
      had forgotten that lately. Instead I acquired a
      'defended' heart once again.

      What amazes me....simply amazes me....is the subtlty
      with which a heart can close when one is not being
      vigilant (to use Xan's great word) in being present
      to the moment.

      How about this?

      It is possible to "enter the silence" and where the
      work comes in is in staying there. Continually
      letting go of the temptation to cling to the next
      thought that happens along. A continually relaxing.
      A continual letting go of limitation.

      It seems to me to continually talk in generalities is
      meaningless. It just all stays in the head that way.
      Give me something to chew on please. :-) I need
      a real example from experience.

      I am like a "born again work person." For years
      I read all this stuff and thought I was doing it but
      I wasn't. It was all just head stuff. Recently I have
      gotten in real touch with my body and it has made
      all the difference in the world. Now when I sit in
      meditation there is silence which is very loud. I
      finally understand. Now it seems like some of the
      tools that I learned, I can actually employ. For
      example I know how to remember myself which
      is most likely just a different name for entering the

      If I am sitting in meditation for example and I hear
      from the other room a wailful ..."Mom" I can feel
      myself (body, emotions, mind) begin to constrict.
      If I continue to breath consciously (thusly working)
      it is possible for that energy to recycle (the friction of
      constriction). I can feel it. This is work to continually
      recycle the energy rather than just dump the load and
      pollute the emotional environment.

      I write down a lot of dreams but not all of
      them. Sometimes I'll wake up and think "there's no way I could put this
      in words!" and then forget about it, but remember it at the end of the
      and decide to write it down anyway. And it's not as hard as it seemed in

      Also I've had a few dreams that didn't make sense until the next day or
      after when something in the dream actually took place. Very weird.

      Lucid dreams are kind of tricky when, as I've noticed, they tend to be
      ordinary or even just "duplications" of the room one is sleeping in at
      time. You'll be lying there in bed looking around your room, everything
      normal, and yet the feeling that you're still asleep is undeniable.

      ...My Postulation for Us: I learned a powerful way of 'holding'
      other's, and therefore; ultimatly myself. By giving a 'listening' to
      almost like
      the profound stillness of meditation, and DROPPING our own busy
      adgendas, love suddenly fills the vacuum between the two
      attempting communication. The One being held or
      'listened' to, suddenly not facing the 'mask' of the other, finds
      staring right into 'themselves'. "peace"

      And you are correct Melody, the shunning that even you, or Skye, or
      holds, hidden where-ever, does get picked up. So I ask you, does it

      To be clear- I do think what we knowlingly can't embrace, becomes this
      toxic waste. Thank you for embracing this, nonduality salon.

      You bring tears to my eyes. And all of a sudden
      I am filled with confession. I can feel the
      walls of separation melting as I type these words
      to you....so many thoughts and feelins pouring out,
      I could not possibly type them all out.

      What does call to be spoken, however, is my
      realization just now of just how much I have
      lost my courage these past months.

      When I first came to these email communities I
      was rather fearless. I was so willing to stand
      naked in front of hundreds of 'strangers'. What
      I have noticed now is that that the more I became
      familiar with, and developed a 'history' with, the
      names that flashed across my screen, the less
      willing I became to be totally un-guarded.

      Little by little I became less and less open
      with you all.

      I think Marcia made a very good point yesterday.
      I heard her say essentially that we all do a good
      job of talking, but not so good a job at understanding
      one another. I can see where that had become true
      for me. And it hurts to see that.

      I felt your love here, Eric, and it was strong
      enough to shatter me....just as you suggest above
      that it could. And heaven knows how greatful I
      am to you for it.

      God it feels good to feel my heart again!

      Shocking 'me' or laughing at me could never have
      opened me like your loving attention just did.

      I love you. (And I can feel that now, when I
      say it!)

      Maybe someone can answer:

      Every time I go to bliss,
      I remember this little blue ball,
      and i return in the mounting darkness,
      enveloping smelly humanness,

      but I love them so!

      Will someone free me of my attachment?
      Why does my Heart care still?
      Am I alone with my dying planet?

      Careful though,
      I am like a Mother for Her....

      ... As the Highlander said, "there can be only One." Do
      away with all pretenders to the throne. Place the true King/Queen in
      proper position. Have the Pearl of Great Price. Also, as can be
      from the movie Sixth Sense: reality, illusion, memories and imagination
      interpentetrate each other continually. Is this real or is this
      Is this solid reality or a Bardo realm? To what extent are our
      realities projected or received thought-dreams?

      i think that love for self includes love for rocks and trees and the
      love contains us. life holds us. i can feel effective as a lover of
      planet by interior simplicity first, simplicity of living seems to flow
      from that for me. re: attachment, seems to me that many of the blunders
      humanity that have led to planetary sickness originate because of
      imho. i dunno. walk instead of drive a mile. every little gesture, a
      gesture of love.
      i found a wonderful resource in the simple living network at:

      ...I think the whole thing is funny too....the WHOLE
      thing....the whole LIST thing.....Especially, dicing up realization and
      transcendence and TALKING about it, for cryin' out loud....like it can
      shared that way.....but unless we just all sit at the keyboard and
      to each other....or join up in a lucid dream....it's what we've got to
      with....so we keep parsing out truths and untruths and each, it its way,
      provides threads for the fabric that each of us "needs" to weave
      whatever it
      is we're going to detach from anyway...or not. Pick a language, any
      language, pick a metaphor, any metaphor, pick a question, any question,
      an answer, any answer and you have.....OM....nothing and everything.

      It's all totally ridiculous and totally helpful and funny...

      ...I honestly do not get the impression that there are a bunch
      of "realized" persons on this list. Whatever that means. :-)
      Otherwise we wouldn't be sitting here expounding so trying
      to convince each other. And issuing forth such wonderful
      praises if someone says something that sounds good. And
      getting our feathers ruffled quite so easily. I am just talking
      here. I am not particularly identified one way or the other.

      I thought that nonduality meant that there is not one point
      of view that is correct. Or more precisely that there are
      not points of view. Or maybe there isn't a self to have a
      point of view. I can have almost any thought land in my
      mind. The point is whether I identify with it and say it is
      my thought and not just some random blimps on the screen
      of my mind triggered by one association or another.

      To see that I have to both understand and have experienced
      silence. In fact something has to be silently watching to even
      describe it.

      I guess my point is that it is nondual. I am in the silence and
      in life both simultaneously or nondually. The East has being and
      the West can get things done. We are nondual. We are both.
      Why make it either/or? That is my basic question. The point is
      that when I stand up from a wonderful meditation, can I divide
      my attention between the inner silence and the child who engages
      me with a need to be filled?

      Emptiness. A word. What a meaningfull word!! Without nothingness
      meaning is lost! Obviously any word pointing towards it, must be
      corrected because to point envolves the oposit direction wich is
      But let�s try. In common everyday life we don�t question the locus of
      dweling. But to be awake is to be aware of our position as
      All manifestation - the manifested as a whole - has as backround the
      non-manifested, the nothingness. But it is a background that inter
      all. For anything to have real meaning, it must rest upon the
      emptiness - then meaning will stand-out in a very obvious and evident
      Emptiness is space - but without dimension. Emptiness is the reason
      the reason of the existence of "care", beauty and love. Emptiness is
      Not death as decay, as morbidity, but death of all things, of all
      Emptiness is ever-receeding when looked for, but the obvious ground for
      those who know the meaning of an inocent heart. Emptiness is the
      Emptiness is the column that sustains the universe, the father, the
      of all there is. Yes, the excense of goodness - for it only gives,
      without asking
      anything in return......and how much it has given!!!

      It's real simple. It's analogous to how you deal with yourself when
      all alone somewhere. The way you have inner dialogues with yourself
      things in your life, decisions to make, and all that stuff. You just
      that same openness and directness outside.

      Author's index.

      1. Xan
      2. Xan
      3. Phil Burton