Wednesday, February 20, 2002

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 22, 2002
      **********************

      CHRISTIANA DURANCZYX
      report from CA gathering and photos of Jerry

      Greetings NDS friends..

      I've just come home from the inner and outer beauty of Southern California, the Inner Directions gathering of a dozen clear presenters; and several smaller private gatherings. Fourteen of us, with online affiliation, gathered for dinner and a lively circle on Saturday night. Jerry, cee, Chuck Hillig, Dave and Barbara Lambert (who host satsanghs in LA), Jody, Petros, Rudy from Michigan,  Dianne and Tom Murphy (see-what-is list owner), Andrew (a vibrant, intellectually challenging young SD lawyer), my dear friend Metta Zetty (one of this year's presenters) and her husband Gary. We each felt fortunate to be in the presence of such good people. A weekend of heart, great smiles and the fun of physically meeting the eyes behind the online affinity.

      I've attaching a couple of photos taken of Jerry. From serene emptiness, to the fullness of donut schtick. Perhaps others will share the evening photos.

      If any of you are considering attending the retreat in Nova Scotia next October, know that these gatherings are delightful and rare opportunities to be present in fellowship.

      Love,
      Christiana

      CEE
      inner directions quotes from cee

      wonderful friends,
      fred asked me to share something from the inner directions gathering so here
      are a few
      (out of context an maybe not precise) quotes from some of the presenters.

      Francis Lucille:
      "unless someone asks me a question, i have nothing to say,
      everything is quite well."

      "unless you are free, you won't enjoy your tendencies"

      "true silence is the presence that makes all things possible"
      "that which dies is always an object-you'll never see consciousness die"
      "when the t.v. dies (the body)-the broadcast is not dead"
      Douglas and Catherine Harding
      (he was celebrating his 93 birthday, they had us do many practical
      experiments
      that graphically showed us we don't exist as separate entities -and made it
      undeniably clear that there is nothing above our shoulders)

      "there are as many ways home-to the place we never left-
      as there are ways out of it"
      Rabbi Rami Shapario
      "shabbot means more than just resting for a day-- it actually means "TO CEASE"
      Metta Zetty
      "you can't step off your path--where you ARE, is your path"
      Leonard Jacobson
      "awake simply means i am fully present-i am no where else"

      "always call the ego 'sweetheart' or 'darling'-and tell it to give you a
      break"
      Adyashanti
      "the relationship between the spiritual teacher and the student
      is like two arrows shot at full speed and meeting head on in mid air-
      both lose all their concepts"

      "when one is awake, the sense of self is something like the scent of perfume,
      it is purely functional,--it doesn't mean there IS a separate self.

      "satsang is the fire that burns up all our concepts"
      Gangaji
      " i'm glad Adiya said everything"
      Seikh Abdoulaye Dieye
      (a contemporary sufi mystic from Senegal)
      "when i got here they gave me the book of Ramana Maharshi--
      i devoured it like the popcorn you gave me--his truth is my truth, the truth
      of all"
      with love and joy, cee
      www.livejournal.com/users/presentnonexist
      www.presentnonexistence.com

      JOYCE SHORT

       Douglas and Catherine Harding
      > (he was celebrating his 93
      birthday, they had us do many practical
      > experiments
      > that
      graphically showed us we don't exist as separate entities -and made it

      undeniably clear that there is nothing above our shoulders)

      What fun!  Are you now "headless"?  A huge spaciousness filled up with
      everything but you? Or perhaps even better, everything is you, spaciousness
      filling spaciousness for all to come and go without hindrance? Joyce

      JAN B.

      Thanks for the laugh Joyce - A much quoted analogy is that of the jar,
      its space being the same as space containing the jar.
      What is overlooked, is that neither the jar, nor it's 'inner space,
      nor the 'outer' space does babble :)
      Hence swami Sivananda's remark, the smell of garlic emanating
      from a jar even remains after thorough cleansing.

      Jan

      GREG GOODE

      Hi Jan,

      That's a great analogy about the garlic smell.  I've read lots and lots of Swami Sivananda's work, but never that bit!

      A few years ago in Germany, I heard a story about Douglas Harding from friends of his.  It seems that when he got married, he was so much in love with his new wife that he couldn't bear being without her - so he became a dualist, so that both he and she would exist and could be together  :-)

      Lve,

      --Greg

      GLORIA LEE
      Roses Underfoot by Rumi

      Forward From:  "Mazie Lane"

      From "the Soul of Rumi" -

      Roses Underfoot

      The sound of salaams rising as
      waves diminish down in prayer,

      hoping for some trace of the one
      whose trace does not appear. If

      anyone asks you to say who you
      are, say without hesitation,

      soul within soul within soul.
      There's a pearl diver who does

      not know how to swim! No matter,
      pearls are handed him on the

      beach. We lovers laugh to hear,
      "This should be more that and

      that more this," coming from
      people sitting in a wagon tilted

      in a ditch. Going in search of
      the heart, I found a huge rose

      under my feet, and roses under
      all our feet! How to say this

      to someone who denies it? The
      robe we wear is the sky's cloth.

      Everything is soul and flowering.

      I open and fill with love and
      other objects evaporate. All

      the learning in books stays put
      on the shelf. Poetry, the dear

      words and images of song, comes
      down over me like mountain water.

      Rumi

      ~~~~~

      JOYCE
       jokes from Dzogchenpas

      > > 1. Two vultures board an airplane, each
      carrying
      > > two dead raccoons.
      > > The stewardess looks at
      them and says, "I'm sorry,
      > > gentlemen, only one carrion allowed per
      passenger."

      > > 2. Two boll weevils grew up in South Carolina.
      One
      > > went to Hollywood and became a famous actor.
      > > The
      other stayed behind in the cotton fields
      > > and never amounted to
      much. The second one,
      > > naturally, became known as the lesser of two
      weevils.

       >>3. Two Eskimos sitting in a kayak were chilly, but
      > > when they lit a fire in the craft, it sank,
      > > proving once again that you can't have your kayak and heat it, too.
      > >
      > > 4. A three-legged dog walks into a saloon in the

      Old West. He slides up to the bar and announces:
      > > "I'm looking for
      the man who shot my paw."

      > > 5. Did you hear about the
      Buddhist who refused
      > > Novocain during a root canal?
      > > He
      wanted to transcend dental medication.

      > > 6. A group of
      chess enthusiasts checked into a
      > > hotel and were standing in the
      lobby discussing
      > > their recent tournament victories. After
      about
      > > an hour, the manager came out of the office and

      asked them to disperse.
      > > "But why?" they asked, as they moved
      off.
      > > Because," he said, "I can't stand chess nuts boasting in an
      open foyer."

      > > 7. A woman has twins and gives them up
      for
      > > adoption. One of them goes to a family in Egypt

      and is named "Ahmal." The other goes to a family
      > > in Spain; they
      name him "Juan." Years later, Juan
      > > sends a picture of himself to
      his birth mother.
      > > Upon receiving the picture, she tells her
      husband
      > > that she wishes she also had a picture of Ahmal.
      > > Her husband responds, "They're twins! If you've seen
      > > Juan,
      you've seen Ahmal."

      > > 8. These friars were behind on
      their belfry
      > > payments, so they opened up a small florist
      shop
      > > to raise funds. Since everyone liked to buy

      flowers from the men of God, a rival florist across
      > > town thought
      the competition was unfair. He asked the
      > > good fathers to close
      down, but they would not.
      > > He went back and begged the friars to
      close. They
      > > ignored him. So, the rival florist hired Hugh
      > > MacTaggart, the roughest and most vicious thug in town
      "persuade" them to close. Hugh beat
      > > up the friars and trashed their
      store, saying he'd
      > > be back if they didn't close up shop.
      > > Terrified, they did so, thereby proving that Hugh, and
      > > only
      Hugh, can prevent florist friars.

      > > 9. Mahatma Gandhi,
      as you know, walked barefoot
      > > most of the time, which produced an
      impressive set
      > > of calluses on his feet. He also ate very
      little,
      > > which made him rather frail and with his odd diet,
      he
      > > suffered from bad breath. This made him ....what?

      (A super callused fragile mystic hexed by halitosis.)