Tuesday February 19, 2002

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 20, 2002
      *******************

      JOYCE SHORT
       Clear Light/Dalai Lama

      From a talk given by HH Dalai Lama.  Oct. 11-14, 1991 New York City. Path of
      Compassion teaching preliminary to Kalachakra.

      "Question: When people hear of luminosity of clear light that dawns at the
      moment of death they ask why it is called clear light.  What has this got to
      do with light as we know it?

      Dalai Lama:  I don't think that in the term clear light, light should be
      taken literally.  It is sort of metaphoric.  This could have its roots in
      our terminology of mental will.  According to Buddhism, all consciousness or
      all cognitive mental events are said to be in the nature of clarity and
      luminosity. So it is from that point of view that the choice of the term
      light is used.  Clear light is the most subtle level of mind, which can be
      seen as the basis or the source from which eventual experience or
      realization of buddhahood, Buddha's wisdom might come about. Therefore it is
      called clear light.  Clear light is a state of mind which becomes fully
      manifest only as a consequence of certain sequences of stages of
      dissolution, where the mind becomes devoid of certain types of obscurations,
      which are again metaphorically described in terms of sun-like, moon-like and
      darkness.  These refer to the earlier three stages of dissolution which are
      technically called, including the clear light stage, the four empties.  At
      the final stage of dissolution the mind is totally free of all these factors
      of obscuration.  Therefore it is called clear light.  Sort of a light.

      It is also possible to understand the usage of the term clear light in terms
      of the nature of mind itself.  Mind or consciousness is a phenomena which
      lacks any obstructive quality.  It is non-obstructed."

      JOYCE SHORT
      "Kuan" part 1

      Here is a tid bit (more like a snack) from something I'm reading-it may interest. Its Jan's fault. (if it was she who mentioned Alan Watts.  Quotes from "Nature, Man and Woman")

      "If we pursue the question, "How then does feeling work?" recognizing that an answer in terms is no answer, we shall have to say it works as if it feels from the inside, in the same way that we feel how to move our legs.  We can easily forget that this is a more intimate knowledge of our nature than objective description, which is of necessity superficial, being knowledge of surfaces.  Thus it is of relatively little use to the scientist to know, in terms, how the brain works, for in practice he gets his best results when he resorts to feeling or intuition, when his research is a kind of puttering without any specific result in mind.  He must of course, have a knowledge of terms which will enable him to recognize a result when he sees it.  But these enable him to communicate the result to himself and to others; they do not supply the result any more than the dictionary.  "Kuan" as feeling without seeking, or open awareness, is therefore as essential to the scientist with all his analytic rigor, as to the poet.  "Kuan" is no more a mind that is merely empty than "li", the pattern of Tao, is a featureless blank.  "Kuan" is not so much a mind empty of contents as a mind empty of mind.  It is mind or "experiencing" at work without the sense of the seeking and staring subject, for the sensation of the ego is the sensation of a kind of effort of consciousness, of a confusion of nerves with muscles.  But as glaring and staring do not clarify the eyesight, and as straining to hear does not sharpen the ears, mental "trying" does not enhance understanding.  Nevertheless, the mind is constantly making efforts to fight off depression, to stop being afraid, to get the most out of pleasure, or to compel itself to be loving, attentive, patient or happy.  On being told that this is wrong, the mind will even make efforts to not make efforts.  This can come to an end only as it is clearly seen that all these efforts are as futile as trying to leap into the air and fly and useless as struggling to sleep.  Everyone is familiar with the contradiction of trying to recollect a forgotten name, and though it happens again and again, we never seem to trust the memory to supply the information spontaneously.  Yet this is the same as the effortless, spontaneous and sudden dawning of an insight or realization.  The difficulty is of course that the mind strains by force of habit and that until it loses the habit, lets go, it must be watched-gently-all the time.  The sensation of ego as apart from the whole is the result of an excess of activity - using more energy than is necessary to think, see, hear or make decisions.  Even when lying on the floor, people make needless muscular efforts to retain their position almost as if they are afraid of the organism losing its shape and dissolving into jelly.  All this arises from anxiety acquired in learning control and co-ordination, for under social pressure the child tries to speed up his neural skills by sheer muscle power."

      JOYCE SHORT
      "Kuan" part 2

      From:  "Poetical Remains of the Old Gentleman of Chi Mountain"  - Lin
      Ching-hsi

      Scholars of old time said that the mind is originally empty, and only
      because of this can it respond (resonate-for my eye to discern color it must
      be free of color) to natural things without prejudices- (Prejudices/traces -
      what is left behind to infuence later vision).  Only the empty mind can
      respond to things of Nature.  Though everything resonates with mind, the
      mind should be as if it had never resonated, and things should not remain in
      it.  But once the mind has received impressions of natural things, they tend
      to remain and not disappear, thus leaving traces in the mind.  It should be
      like a river gorge with swans flying overhead; the river has no desire to
      retain the swan, yet the swans passage is traced out by it's shadow without
      any omission.  Take another example. (from Chi Shan Chi).  All things,
      whether beautiful or ugly, are reflected perfectly in a mirror; it never
      refuses to show anything, nor retains anything afterwards."

      The Sutra says, "Good and ill are one; villainy and honesty are of like
      kind."  Indeed, what standard have we whereby to discern good from bad?  We
      can only take what suits the need of the moment and call it "good".

      JAN B. & JOYCE
      go shopping for light

      > that pic in the meanwhile received some scientific backing:
      > The bright side of going out and shopping, it alleviates depression,
      > which has been shown in health statistics.
      >
      > Jan

      Laugh-agreed.  At the end of six months of sensory deprivation also called a
      Canadian winter, mobs of us (not able to get to Mexico this year) haunt the
      Malls even just window shopping-o lookie, some color, hey, theres something
      moving-could it be, yes..another person....a whole lot of folks-all
      desparate to party.  Mall practice is almost as much fun as airport lounge
      practice.  My friend tells me that I can get a SAD hat-some visor thing with
      light bulbs to wear to cheer me up.  I do have a plant room full of
      gro-lights-I call it Cancun.  I must go now and turn on Cancun for the day.

      Joyce
      ~~~
      Having lived 49 years at a some 53 deg North, the issue is well known.
      The skull doesn't shield completely hence a strong light has a profound
      influence on the hormonal balance and once adjusted, a beneficial one.
      When i left the 'dark lands', both running and light therapy were used
      to treat depression but not the combination.

      When in 1991 i left Tenerife after a long vacation, i took along seeds
      from a plant growing  at some 7,700 ft under unfavorable conditions:
      always arid and extremely cold in winter too, and often stormy.
      In my living in Belgium, with a total of 3,500 watts from halogen lights, the
      seeds germinated speedily and then, started looking for something, apparently
      missing - instead of growing upwards, they were creeping over the soil,
      as if seeking for light. Soon, the plants lost any resemblance with their
      Tenerife kin and i put them in the garden when winter was over. There,
      despite the sheltered place facing South, the same behavior continued:
      seeking for light... The plants didn't spot the sun and died, despite the
      availability of better soil, more water, no storms....

      Jan

      MARK OTTER

      I must go now and turn on Cancun for the day.

                      Joyce

      Thanks, Joyce! I'm enjoying the images that come to
      mind...

      Love, Mark
      ps Now everybody go back to your business. There's
      nothing to see here.  Go on home now...

      JOYCE

      AHAHAHA!  Actually, we all just got together and prayed.
      It was all very somber.  You'd be surprised by what turns on Cancun.

      J.

      MARK

      Hi Joyce,

      Hee, hee!  I'm living in an ashram and am finding myself rather
      surprised at what turns me on.

      Love, Mark