Highlights, Sept. 4, Saturday.

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 4, 1999
      morning wind
      through willow leaves -
      September arrives

      layne

      Gone are the good old romantic days with long bearded, wise
      men from India.
      Here we are,
      expressing the same thing,
      (that those wise men have never been able to say either),
      having fun,
      congesting our inboxes.

      Love,
      Mirror

      aleks: i cannot hear the silence
      i am the silence
      i do not feel the flame
      i am reduced into

      I am the paradox
      the "all of the above"
      I both hear and am the silence
      I both feel and am the flame
      I am that which is dissolving
      And that which is dissolved into
      And the movement of dissolution
      I am the mystery and the clarity
      I am suffering and I am healing
      I am temporary and eternal
      The false and the true
      I have not been able to find
      I Am Not ...

      aleks: nothing which i cannot know--

      Because I am all and nothing

      xan

      I attended satsang with John Sherman tonight. He's been told
      to speak in meetings by his teacher, Gangaji, though he says
      he has nothing useful to say.

      John expressed gratitude for Gangaji's "finding" him while
      he was serving 18 years in federal prison, through a video
      satsang-in- prisons program. He said his prison years were
      a great gift because the usual supports for the mind and all
      ideas about controling one's personal situation are taken
      away, so mind energy itself is magnified. Whatever happens
      in prison is taken very seriously, especially when there is
      a spiritual focus.

      John has a quiet and strong presence. I could just see him
      succeeding in bank robbery. I could also see "he" has mostly
      disappeared.

      He told us that in the space of neither going toward
      anything or away from anything, the magnificence of oneself
      can be found.

      Nothing has the meaning we think it has - in fact nothing
      has any meaning at all. All appearances come and go in the
      vastness of what is real and are manifested by it. We are
      puppets, only appearing to be speaking and acting on our
      own, but there is no one here to be doing anything.

      John told a story of having been put in "the hole" unjustly,
      some time after his awakening began, and being brought
      before a review board to determine his next destiny.
      Sitting there, handcuffed, guarded, condemned as worthless
      scum by rigid prison authorities he had an experience of
      seeing that consciousness itself was behind each of the
      masks in a perfect performance. On the way back to lock-up
      a guard asked him, "How can you be happy about all this?"
      John said, "This silent heart is always here."

      He emphasized Gangaji's teaching of uncompromising
      inclusivness. The traditional teaching of neti neti - not
      this, nor this, is instead "yes this, and this also".

      love xan
      Meditation daily practice and periodic nudges from the
      Mahayana and Advaita folks and some friends to talk to from
      time to time and just share thoughts, wishes, dreams,
      confusions and confessions. Now thats really cool!

      --Alan
      you
      ...and I like most 'Beings' throughout history have remained
      stuck in the Human Condition by seeking to resolve problems
      instead of dissolving the cause of them. All cures are
      adding to the confusion...I need to be still now and just
      let the dust settle all around.

      Much Love, Skye
      When the physical form has no where to go and no one in it
      or outside it - what can be said then? You can't reach God
      by believing, and when "the Absolute" is obsolete, who will
      there be to tell the tale?

      --Dan

      ...the void is not void of anything; Without expanding or
      contracting, an image of me is projected by nothing, into
      nothing -- which remains eternally full..

      --Dan

      Is there any connection between the attainment of
      supernatural powers (siddhis) and Liberation (mukti)?
      Enlightened enquiry alone leads to Liberation. Supernatural
      powers are all illusory appearances created by the power of
      maya (mayashakti).
      Self-realization which is permanent is the only true
      accomplishment (siddhi).
      Accomplishments which appear and disappear, being the effect
      of maya, cannot be real. They are accomplished with the
      object of enjoying fame, pleasures, etc. They come unsought
      to some persons through their karma. {Know that union with
      Brahman is the real aim of all accomplishments. This is
      also the state of Liberation (aikya mukti) known as union
      (sayujya). }

      --Ramana, contributed by Alan

      ...you can't get closer to the truth or to God by looking at
      the subtle. God is not subtle!!
      The second thing I want to say ... is that I would like to
      see you start thinking on your own. You are your own
      person, second to none, not Sandeep, not Jesus, not
      anyone!! This whole business that we are talking about is
      about standing on our own, not gleening information or
      leaning on anyone else. And there is one thing I can
      guarantee you thruout this whole process and that is you are
      never alone.

      Judi

      Dead and alive are terms that can only relate to perceivable
      life-forms. Now one can show the mind but it can be known by
      its functioning. If the functioning mind is dead or alive
      is irrelevant. Air cannot be directly perceived; it can be
      indirectly known when it is flowing (intensity: wind) or
      carrying (quality: odor, smoke). Likewise, with the mind.
      It is known by the flow of thoughts (intensity) and emotions
      (quality). Between the thoughts is the supreme silence. It
      will pass the threshold for recognition when thoughts leave
      no echo and feelings are not kept running around (in
      circles), but are allowed to rise and subside naturally. It
      is that simple.

      --Jan