Friday, February 15, 2002

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 16, 2002
      ***************************

      SU GANDOLF
       Subway story

      Two women standing, facing each other, at the bottom of a staircase
      full of comuters rushing up and down on either side. The air between
      them is "charged" with listening. One of them says:

      "It wasn't a bad dream or a good dream. It was just a dream..."

      DAN BERKOW

      now:
      > I'll say "silence is the choicelessness of the awareness we

      are" and leave it at that -- logic chopping is really wasted on
      > the
      likes of me...

      Speaking to define silence  ...
        did silence hear what you said about it?

      No one's chopping at you --
        no need to waste any more of your
        logic defending against logic :-)

      DAN BERKOW

      > The subject transcends logic, but all I see Dan doing is
      coming
      > at the unapproachable from multiple approaches.  You are
      both
      > saying the same thing, and I think he would agree.  It's
      Dan's
      > custom to present alternative presentations that are in
      accord
      > with his understanding, and as infuriating as that can be
      for
      > me, he has always been correct.

      Hey, really -- I infuriated you, Jody?

      Thanks for the compliment, I know
        that's not easy!

      When you say, 'he's always been correct,'
        I read that as, 'he communicated
        myself truthfully.'

      Namaste, truth-teller,

      -- Dan

      HURG

      "Do not pretend that you love others as yourself. Unless you have

      realized them as one with yourself, you cannot love them. Don't

      pretend to be what you are not, don't refuse to be what you are.

      Your love of others is the result of Self-knowledge, not its cause.

      Without Self-realization, no virtue is geniune. When you know

      beyond all doubting that the same life flows through all that is and

      you are that life, you will love all naturally and sponataneously.

      When you realize the dept and fullness of your love of yourself,

      you know that every living being and the entire universe are

      included in your affection. But when you look at anything

      as separate from you, you cannot love it for you are afraid of it.

      Alienation causes fear and fear deepens alienation. It is a

      vicious circle. Only self-realization can break it.

      Go for it resolutely."

      - Nisargadatta Maharaj
      "I am That"
      Acorn Press

      HEIDI

      There may be no "thing" as enlightenment, as some say, but there
      is quite definitely an understanding possible whereby when we
      use the word, we can know what the hell we're referring to.

      My mother is not enlightened. She's a nice person, saintly. But
      she has no clue as to it's ordinary definition, let alone it's
      "more enlightened" definition, let alone, let alone, let alone.

      One very operational definition of Enlightenment, is that one
      knows they know nothing - in an objective sense. They don't just
      give lip service to it, they understand at a deeply personal
      level that they Know Nothing. All others (who are not
      "enlightened") believe they know everything - just ask them if
      you don't believe me.

      But, Knowing Nothing, does not mean one is a blubbering idiot,
      like a child with no language or education. Hardly. Complete
      understanding at this level, is possible. That's another
      definition of Enlightenment.

      Two definitions which are superficially in opposition - right?
      "Know Nothing"
      "Know Everything"

      Now what?

      Consider the operations of the mind, that now has these two
      quite workable definitions floating around, "competing" with
      each other. Now what is going to happen?

      Is one of them Enlightened? Are both?

      Now consider my previous Question (about fighting over ideas),
      and instead of the typical, "irrelevant!", or "ridiculous!", or
      whatever causes YOUR mind to dismiss the subject entirely, try
      to THINK about it further.

      -------------Heidi, the Ho (there, there, calm yourself)

      MARK HOVILA

      Dear Friends,

      I am putting together a proposal for a Public Access TV show here in
      Seattle.  I don't intend, at least for now, to produce my own shows, but I
      would like to begin by broadcasting videos of talks by spiritual teachers in
      the nondual tradition.

      Besides needing videos, I also need written permission from the copyright
      owners of the videos.  If anyone can loan me tapes to broadcast, please
      contact me.  And if you are the copyright owner, or can put me in touch with
      the copyright owner, that would also be very much appreciated.

      I am facing a deadline (Feb. 27) for getting this proposal in.  Thanks.

      Mark Hovila