Highlights of Thursday, Sept 2

  • Melody
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 4, 1999
      Nonduality Highlights for Thursday, Sept 2
      From: "Christopher Wynter" <wynter@...>

      Compassion is not something that is provided ... or learned ... or earned

      Compassion is the essence of beingness beyond reaction ...

      reaction comes from subjugated or denied need ...

      The action of compassion is action without need or regard of outcome ...
      without
      judgement of right or wrong ... without fear or favour ... and without need
      act or re-enact some past pattern or belief ... being without doing

      Compassion is not something that is experienced by the compassionate one ...
      if there is feeling, it is sympathy or empathy .. if there is need, either
      conscious or unconscious, the expression is sympathy

      Christopher Wynter

      Compassion is a recognition of oneness. If a person
      percieves himself or herself to be suffering then the
      compassionate one also bears that suffering. In this
      the compassionate one is not separate from the person
      who is suffering, they are the same person.
      Buddha and Jesus and others teach that compassion
      extends to the entire perceived universe.

      andrew
      Mirror:

      >Dear Jan,
      >Perhaps you can clearify me on the topic of compassion.
      >A concept in my mind, used to tell me that 'the awakened
      ones' (like Jezus
      >and Buddha), have always very much emphasized the topic of
      'compassion'.
      >This, in itself, I believe is wonderful and only natural.

      Jan:
      You are right. It is only natural. So it doesn't come as a
      surprise that prince Gautama experienced suffering when being
      confronted with the fate of the body. Asceticism brought
      another round of suffering and he nearly died of it. If the
      "means to salvation" appear to have been of no use, that is
      quite a blow. Being left without hope or expectation, he
      suddenly recognized what was never lost and became the Buddha.

      Jesus was confronted with occupation, a war-like situation
      with a lot of suffering. "Helping others" is a central theme
      in Christianity.

      Mirror:
      >The strange paradox I have been confronted with, however, is
      that there
      >truly is nobody out there suffering. All is I. All is the
      unlimited,
      >sometimes experiencing itself through the limitations of
      (mental) suffering.

      Jan:
      Both were knowing, being is one and there is no suffering.
      They also knew, suffering has two sides. It can lead to giving
      up "the will to live and enjoy" which is surrender. On the
      other hand, suffering, not understood, can lead to a situation
      where life on a planet will become extinct.

      Mirror:
      >But the unlimited remains unlimited, regardless of it
      experiencing all kinds
      >of limitations. The unlimited remains immaculate and never
      suffers, whatever
      >the circumstance.

      Jan:
      This is true for the unmanifested. The "human interface"
      belongs to the manifested and the process, transforming matter
      into life-forms culminates in creatures, being able to express
      the unmanifested, like humans. The creatures again are turned
      into matter and the cycle is complete; life is a giant
      auto-recycling machine seemingly creating all the mirrors
      (there is only one).

      Mirror:
      It doesn't mean that I don't stretch out my hand when
      >someone needs help! No, a hand is always stretched out, but
      even that, is
      >that very same unlimited one, experiencing itself as a
      helping hand.

      Jan:
      The manifest comes with a set of rules; compassion is one of
      them. Call it cleaning mirrors if you like :)

      Mirror:
      >This 'view' is still so new and unfamiliar to me, that it
      sounds cruel to my
      >mind having to admit that in spite of all appearances,
      nothing is happening
      >and nobody is affected. The concept of compassion still
      lingers very
      >strongly in the outskirts of this mind. But who am I supposed
      to feel
      >compassion for?

      Jan:
      Nobody. The feeling arises spontaneously; not resisting it
      means action without acting.

      Mirror:
      >Would you (or anyone for that matter) elaborate on this one?

      Jan:
      As compassion is natural, there have been societies where
      compassion wasn't mentioned; it was "normal" practice. For
      some, a so called "ideal society" is one without crime,
      discrimination, indifference etc. But would that mean an end
      to suffering? Of course not. One would have much more intimate
      relations and confrontation with loss and death would be
      rather frequent. The burning pain of losing (loved ones,
      youthful body etc.) reveals the presence of "ego",
      identification with/ and fuels the "desire" for the
      unchanging.

      Dan:

      The teaching of compassion is a doorway, an image.
      Walking through: there is only compassion.
      No longer a teaching, only what is.
      Compassion is its name from "outside".
      All names imply an outside and an inside.

      Xan:

      Beingness
      always
      surprises
      my mind

      here's a hymn to hummmm

      hymn

      someone put
      a dollar in the plate
      and thanked
      some Him.
      jeans clad
      work boots
      dollar fifty net
      worth some one put
      a dollar in
      his sidewalk cup
      and thanked himself.

      it was nothing
      he was noone
      it was a conspiracy-- a breathing together.
      love and blessings,
      aleks