Friday, December 14

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 15, 2001
      GLORIA LEE

      War is God's way of teaching Americans geography. -- Ambrose
      Bierce, writer, (1842-1914)

      SHANKAR
      from the I AM list

      Long Live the Feet of the Lord (Sri Ramana) who utters, "If
      the 'other' dies, the mind will merge in the 'here' (the
      Self)."

      Long Live the Feet of the One (Sri Ramana) who utters the
      Satguru advice, "That(!) is giving (over one's) life to
      Isvara (the Personal God)."

      Translation of Lines 11 and 12 of Song 2 of 5 Jewels in
      praise of the Feet of Sri Ramana by Sri Sivaprakasam Pillai

      GILL EARDLEY
      from Nondual Quotes

      If the process of manifestation, which involves the
      full-fledged appearance of the visible world, never truly
      involves a departure from the unmanifest, undifferentiated
      reality of Shiva, then it follows that the tantric path of
      return consists of the recovery of this vision of the
      undifferentiated unity of all things. This vision, which at
      first appears to annihilate all things into the dark abyss of
      Shiva, later grows into the unmilana samadhi, which reveals
      the pulsating essence of Shiva actively structuring and
      maintaining all the apparently finite and even inert forms of
      visible reality. The yogin must come to a vision of the
      inseparability of all things from Shiva.

      ~Abhinavagupta

      MARK HOVILA AND GREG GOODE
      from the NoDoer list

      GREG:
      By awareness, you seem to be talking about the waking state. What takes
      note of the coming and going of the waking state and all other states? What
      takes note of all note-taking?

      MARK:
      I can't say.  I can't be aware of it.  But it can be aware of "me."

      So in a sense, I can understand how the Absolute could not be aware of
      itself.  If it were aware of "itself," that would not really be Itself.  The
      Absolute must be the seer, not the seen.  Hmm, sounds pretty
      dualistic!

      But what I was talking about before was the notion propounded by somebody,
      can't remember now if it was Atmananda, Nisargadatta, or who, that the
      ultimate state is one in which one is aware neither of oneself NOR ANYTHING
      ELSE.  This doesn't sound too appealing.  What, no music?

      GREG:
      It helps to be very tired and very disgusted with life! Fear of death
      might then transform into a desire to know the truth.

      MARK:
      Thanks, I think I know what you mean, but to tell you the truth, I don't
      think that's my path.  As long as I'm here for this incredibly short life I
      want to have a good time.  I'm trying to deal with death by living every
      moment to the fullest.  And in my heart I know that death is not a problem.
      At one beautiful moment I saw that very clearly, when I saw (or "it was
      seen," perhaps I should say) that "I" did not really exist.

      JOHN DUFF AND VICTOR MANUEL HERRERA
      from Center of Friends list

      It is a pleasure and a blessing having you here Victor.

      Victor:
      My words and views are losing their weight and I have
      to Work in silence to increase the energy of my dialogues,
      this involves will within me (even if some here react and say
      "you have no will!!") because I just love to answer and post
      messages which are meaningful to me.

      John:
      Such a situation should be a familiar to everyone
      engaged in sincere work on themselves. I recollect an excerpt
      from Nicoll recently stating that such a time is one of
      regrouping, consolidating and digesting the product of
      self-observation in such a time and to make effort collecting
      remembrance of this state in preparation for the pendulum
      swing in the other direction.

      Typically, though, we become frustrated, `down on ourselves',
      and wholly identified with what appears to be lack of force,
      or insight, of what interested or fascinated us before.

      I would not mention such a thing except that I was
      experiencing such a transition several weeks ago when I read
      the passage from Nicoll. As he says, this is nothing out of
      the ordinary, and it is an exceptional opportunity to bring
      into awareness our polar natures – the enthusiasm of working
      versus deep registration of our limitations - with the aim of
      maintaining awareness and memory of both experiences when in
      either extreme. It is good stuff – it is the fuel of balance.

      But I project here.

      <snip>

      Victor:
      I can state my love and respect for all of you who
      are Working on youselves in a higher level of understanding,
      and to place myself appropriately in a step below you (or
      several, at least I am in the ladder, or maybe my imagination
      is cheating me).

      John:
      You have mentioned that higher forces can use us all
      for its purposes. The task may then be seen as open-ness to
      such influences in the light of ideas of non-expression of
      negative emotions, non- identification, sacrifice of small
      aims and `I's, etc. to serve as signposts in this opening
      process.

      We are all help to one another, as you have been, and will
      be, help to me.

      The expectation is that one of us is more awake at any given
      moment. Who can predict who that one will be? To do such
      predication is not to be open; to not externally consider,
      and to not give attention to what is in front of one in the
      moment because of some preconceived requirement or
      expectation. This easily could be some stranger passing on
      the street – let alone on an email list.

      This is also to say, as a generalization and not to Victor in
      particular, that if you get a taste of higher experiences
      from an email list then one practical next task is to carry
      that awareness into your life and relations outside of that
      source. Extend the experience – a wish to expand.

      Expectations of consistency and ladders are useful metaphors
      and food for a part of us – a part preoccupied with
      comparisons. This part has its utility but is not, as you
      know, the whole of us.