12/3/01 Monday

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 4, 2001
      > Does this mean that we can never really know who we
      > But I feel this scary stuff by U.G. is simply a gimmick to stop us
      > from seeking. Is that true? Like every teacher has his way.
      > Love
      > Rashmi

      Not at all! You and me and everybody are IT. IT is pretty good at
      being all of us.

      Greg's suggestion to read some Ramana is very good. You might also
      take a look at Pema Chodrun's book _The Wisdom of No Escape and the
      Art of Loving Kindness_. Pema Chodrun is the abbot of a buddhist
      monastary in Nova Scotia. She has led a full life and speaks very
      openly and honestly.

      loveya - michael

      We have a common bumper sticker up here in Canada, probably
      manufactured in USA.

      Get in, shut up and hold on.

      Is this not a guide to living that is applicable in many situations?

      especially marriage. no telling what that baby's gonna bring.

      hey, ron, i go to a health club and by the pool there's a sign:

      no diving
      no running on the deck
      no excessive splashing
      respect other swimmers

      i always thought it was good advice for anyone joining an email list.

      Has anybody tried this? Any comments on this?

      Jan Sultan

      'Hummology': attention on the attention
      Jan van Delden

      Water can not become wetter than it already is. In other words: you don't
      have to do or not do anything in order to be what you already are. Here
      follows a practice for giving attention to the unmanifested part of yourself.
      For convenience we will call that unmanifested part 'the knowing' and the
      entire manifest world and everything that takes place in it 'the known'. To
      say it differently the manifest and unmanifest parts of yourself are the
      knowing and the known, the perceiving and the perceived. One never changes,
      the other changes constantly. We are used to directing our attention
      entirely within the known world and to experiencing the knowing as part of
      our personality, but now is it time to direct the attention to the
      attention itself.

      To make it somewhat easier in the beginning, find a place to sit or lie
      where you feel comfortable and will not be disturbed. Then, let it
      penetrate in you that you don't have to do, or not do, anything to be what
      you already are: 'being' is thus accompanied by a logical effortlessness.
      Therefore you don't have to adopt any special attitude as if you were
      trying to reach some goal.

      Observe carefully what belongs to the manifest part of yourself and see
      that your self - the knowing of the manifest- is the unmanifest. Within
      that there is no image of anything represented, no matter how subtle, to be
      found. Observe that you cannot use any of your usual capacities, because
      your entire, feeling and I-feeling belong to the manifest part. Now you
      direct your attention to the knowing of the known and wait until the 'being
      there' goes to zero. There is really nothing more to do, and thus your 'not
      knowing mind' comes forth; silence arrives. This is the silence that
      appears as an answer when you ask the question 'who am I?' consistently.
      When that happens a feeling of spaciousness happens and you may for example
      hear the singing of birds or other surrounding sounds that you had not
      noticed earlier. Allow everything to be as it is and do not direct your
      attention to the perceptions (sounds, feelings, etc.) but to the silence in
      which they occur. Keeping your attention on the silence is your only
      'safety-line' to your unmanifested 'being-there'. Everything else belongs
      to the known world.

      In order to keep the attention on the silence more easily, I use the sound
      of the silence itself - the silence is namely not entirely still, there is
      a sort of hum or buzz of 'being-there' and you can pay attention to that.
      Direct your attention to that hum. The consequence is that your attention
      no longer feels tense. Observe that this stillness is always there without
      any need to do, or not do, anything. That 'burning' or 'buzzing' of the
      silence is the easiest entry to the unmanifest, and by directing your
      attention repeatedly to that 'burning' silence the attention grows little
      by little towards that silence. In the passage of time this will become
      effortless. When you can effortlessly hold on to that 'being there sound',
      that humming, and therefore have the taste of the unmanifest as a base, you
      can from then on take it with you as a sort of 'floating building block'
      while you just allow the manifest to happen. You witness it, you follow it.
      In other words you try to 'embody' the practice in your daily life. Slowly
      the practice will change into just 'being-there'. See if the hum of the
      silence is there when you are brushing your teeth, washing the dishes or
      whatever you are doing.

      Slowly but surely there dawns in you the awareness that you are keeping the
      known at a distance because your attention is on the hum of the silence,
      and that you are therefore the knowing itself. Just as the background
      becomes fuzzy when you look at a droplet on the windowpane, you keep the
      known at a distance by paying attention to the silence. You do not have to
      do, or not do, anything else. If you practice that, even when you don't
      feel like it, you will see slowly but surely that the whole thinking and
      feeling is something that is apart from you, you can perceive it, therefore
      it belongs to the known. That allows you to see that the thinking is of no
      use in this territory and only exists for convenience or for organizing the
      known. You will then see more and more that in spite of the chattering of
      the mind, everything just happens as it happens. The thinker suffers form
      the delusion that he thinks thoughts and is therefore responsible for what
      happens. Through the insight that the thinking (just as all other
      perceptions) is something that appears and disappears in the silence, the
      'being-there' will no longer escape you. Take hold of that, as it were,
      more and more. There follows the insight that silence and attention are the
      same, and so that 'being-there' comes to its 'being-now' feeling. In this
      way the effortless 'being-there feeling' becomes the basis of your life and
      the happiness that you have done so much for emerges through the absence of
      anything other than what you now 'already are', the eternal, unchanging
      being-there is a fact.

      Finally there remains only to end the delusion that the known part lives
      its own life, independent of the knowing. That flows into seeing that the
      known and its manifest worlds do not exist as such. Then you can easily
      allow your attention to rest at the only thing that actually exists, the
      simple, silent being-there. Then you are the undisturbed, unchanging
      happiness itself.

      .........a little comment. It may be a useful technique if you are
      interested in techniques, but it is ruined by the author telling you
      step by step what will happen, what to expect sets up a lot
      of "shoulds". Where is the self-knowledge when someone tells you what
      will happen?  Better to just sit and watch what arises, doing nothing
      about it, not directing attention at all. This way you get to see the
      mind in action doing what it always does. If we have no clarity on
      what the mind is always doing, putting attention on
      something "higher" or "deeper" is basically pointless.

      when reading instructions on how to achieve  a greater awareness, you really
      have to ask whether the person giving the instructions followed those
      instructions to the letter himself.

      Like Nisargadatta said, "focus your mind on 'I am', which is pure and simple
      being." He said what he did. Very simple. Ramana's teaching was simple too.
      Inquire. This guy below's got me following raindrops on a window or
      something. Yeah, right. Come on. Nothing wrong with it, but you know what i'm

      Rhetorically, of course, non-dualistically, we are all God-men,
      women, all of creation. Rhetoric is all well and good, but what about
      the organic reality that moves us? What about  20, 30, 50 or 60 years
      worth of ego? You can't shrug it all off. You've got a lifetime (and
      more) worth of denial and unconcious strategies that have literally
      formed your your body, mind, health - all your reactions and beliefs.
      You can't just say, "Yes, we're all God" and expect to be healed. It
      would be nice, delightful, but it doesn't work that way. We've got to
      root out unconscious motivations and transcend them in clarity and
      the disintegration of life negative habits. Too bad, because it's a
      lifetime operation.

      JAN B.
      25 years of the sense of "i" and all associated "yuck" was more than enough....
      Looking around, the amount of conditioning added from that age on can only
      be estimated. And to no surprise, those with a "hard time" (unhappy childhood etc.)
      can be far less conditioned than so called "spoiled brats", as many "castles in the air"
      have been shot down already during childhood.

      The apperception is but the start - and unless the "junk" (remaining conditioning)
      is perceived, nothing will change at all - hence the term "handicapperception".
      So the sense of "i", when perceived, will automatically lead to its demise -
       together with its attachments - obstacles to bliss/peace that will start
      enquiry by itself.

      Perceiving what formerly was hidden is the "true" sign of apperception:
      it will show potentials (like the sense of 'i') with their content (all the
      thoughts and notions beginning with 'i'). Transformation consists of the
      depletion of the potential(s) and eventually (but surely finally) the dissolution
      of potentials, formerly emptied. To no surprise, emptying potentials goes
      together with experiences of 'void' whereas the dissolution of the potential
      feels 'somewhere between' the extremes of ecstasy and peace...

      The life of the Buddha was an example of that - all potentials dissolved
      at the end of 'career' while wandering with a sangha and assisting "good" seekers.
      That is also the "bad" news - no potential will dissolve while sitting in a closed
      room or a cave - only in a kind of service to the brethren - humans are designed
      that way - as social animals. Apperception is a 'free ride' though - because it has been
      forgotten "who you are" through 'incorrect' upbringing and education.

      people don't mind a roller coaster as long as there are tracks and lots of
      people have gone before them. an authentic spiritual journey is a ride in a
      car way up a track, yes, but when you come to the top of the hill, the ride
      down is trackless.

      the next part (the third part!)  is another ride up another hill. no tracks