11/26/01 Monday

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 27, 2001
      ******************

      RON

      "When...the soul is aware that it is looking at God, loving him, and
      knowing him, that is already a retrogression."

      Meister Eckhart

      ----------------
      What does retrogression mean in this context?

      Ron

      NINA

      Means that focusing on it takes you out of focus.

      Boing!

      God, I need new glasses. 8)

      Nina

      JAMES
      re: tree in forest

         Hi Bobby G.

             All the 'answers' are 'correct'.

             It is not about the 'answers' - it is about the *IMPACT* of
      the question and its exploration.

             It is the journey AND the destination.

         Love,
         james

      MICHAEL
      shifting gears

      try today
      as you go out to play and work
      to shift gears
      shift into neutral and glide

      move over into the passenger seat
      let god drive
      gaze at the scenery
      enjoy the ride

      bye bye!

      GREG

      I like what you say, Bobby G.  I have a 6-month advaita vedanta class that
      I teach in Soho, Manhattan.  I have a standing offer to the students:  I'll
      gladly pay $10,000 to anyone who can establish the existence of anything at
      all outside of an observer, awareness, etc.  I could have upped the offer
      to a million.  But I wanted them to take it more seriously.  But it's a
      safe bet, and though they have tried, no one has yet cashed in!

      --Greg

      STEVE

          Well, Yes, Consciousness can be magical.
      In the  early  part  of  the  20th century as science progressed  toward  a  better
      understanding    of   the    material   world,    the     picture    that emerged   from
      the    investigation   of    the   smallest   constituents    of matter was very puzzling.
      At the level of our senses the world seams to be real  and objects  normally behave
      the way we expect them to. But  when  scientists  tried to  understand  what  matter
      is made of, they made a strange discovery.

           The smallest building block of matter is the atom, which itself  is made  of  fundamental
      particles. These  particles do  not   obey  the classical laws of physics, so a new set  of
      laws had to  be  formulated and this  is  what  we  call  Quantum  Mechanics. What  this
      theory teaches us is that matter does not really exist!  Scientists have found that particles of
      matter are potentialities that become actuality only when  we  observe  them.  In   other
      words  there  is  a   direct   link    between    our    consciousness    of    them    and   the
      manifestation of their existence.

           Some particles pop out of nothing and immediately return to the vacuum of space. This is
      why they call them virtual particles. Yet if they  did  not  "exist"  there  would be no  exchange
      of energy in the universe. So they exist and they exist not. What allows them to exist and not
      exist, at  the  same time, is the  haziness  that  permeates the quantum  world.  There is even a
      mathematical  law to express that haziness  and  it is  called the  Uncertainty  Principal. This
      principal puts a  limit to  what  we  can  know  about  the  outside  world.  For example if we
      want to  know where a  particle is, we will not be able to  know  it's  momentum,  or  vice
      versa,  if  we  want  to  know it's momentum  we  won't  be  able  to  ascertain  it's  position.
      In other words, we have to make  a  choice,  because  we  can't  know both at the same time.

           This new insight about matter was developed at the  beginning of the twentieth century
      at approximately the same time Einstein came out with  his  Theory of  Relativity  which
      demonstrated  that  space and time  were not  absolute references  but that space could
      expand or contract, and that time could slow down or run faster. What both theories made
      us aware of is that our  senses give us  the illusion of a "reality"  and that an other  "reality"
      can be  devised  by  our mind alone.

      Regards
      Steve Kalec