Saturday, November 24

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 26 6:21 AM

      The Bodhisattva vow is traditionally the vow to
      forego one's own enlightenment until all sentient
      beings have been saved, but a radical
      interpretation of the vow is renouncing the whole
      notion of enlightenment as any kind of clinging to
      individual salvation as separate from the
      interdependent web of the whole enchilada. In other
      words, if one is not ultimately separate from
      anyone else, then there can be no personal
      salvation until all sentient beings have been
      saved. It is all or none. Bodhisattvas, the true
      servants of God, are born from their surrender.
      They have dared to not stop even at enlightenment
      in their movement toward the fulfillment of the
      highest possibility for their existence. The Dalai
      Lama said once that he would really like to have
      time off to go on lots of meditation retreats and
      to practice and to become an enlightened person,
      but that obviously he didn't have time to, as he
      had all the work of being the Dalai Lama. But then
      he thought, "If I did get enlightened, I'd spend
      all my time working to help other sentient beings
      be happier. And what am I doing Now? I am spending
      all my time working to help other sentient beings
      be happier. So I guess it's not important to get
      enlightened. When one finally gives up one's futile
      attempts to make reality conform to one's own
      wishes, and allows it to unfold on its own terms,
      all the energy that was tied up in foolish attempts
      to manipulate the universe is freed up. If the
      giving up is partial or shallow, one may end up
      simply content or smug, but if the surrender is
      deep, there is nothing left to do but to serve
      others from the fullness of oneself. Our problem is
      that we don't want to surrender what we can
      surrender, and we do want to surrender what we
      can't surrender. You can come up with a very clear
      and concise articulation of nonduality, and you can
      speak of it over and over again, and you can
      attempt to align your activity to that
      articulation. But in fact, organically, unless
      you've surrendered to the Will of God, which is
      movement but in the domain of nonduality, any state
      of nonduality is not mature.

      "What seems "true" one day, is discovered to be just
      another layer to peel away the next."

      Ain't that the truth?

      As good a one as it is, even *this* layer of truth
      will need to be peeled tomorrow.

      It's a great example of one concept that digs deep
      and cuts away other concepts, though, isn't it?

      To make any change in your life it must come from
      within yourself. I don't like help in those things
      I can do, and when you jump over the bar and knock
      it down you learn to jump higher.
      -- Evelyn Mullin, age 87, my mother

      In the middle of the night
      I awoke to a world which was not mine.
      I lay in the deepest darkness bewildered, lost.
      Where was I?

      My mind a void. My army of answers deserted.
      Abandoned to the roomful of darkness
      which I did but did not know.

      Desperately I thrashed about for the straw of a thought,
      for anything at all graspable. Unmasking only
      the sneering faces of need, the casual indifference
      of nowhere and nothing.

      Then suddenly, from I don’t care where or even why, a revelation,
      precise and pointed; my postal address. My full postal address.

      Proof. An affirmation of my life, of living. Of I am. Found.
      Sure of myself, my breathing slowly easing into ordinary
      as the world of bricks and steel rebuilt itself around me.

      Memory. The rubber stamp of existence.
      Inking my eyes, my body, my face, my tongue,
      pulling history tight up to my chin, I turned over.
      I slept again.

      Why God Never Received Tenure at Any University

      1.  He only had one major publication.

      2.  It was in Hebrew.

      3.  It had no references.

      4.  It wasn't published in a referred journal.

      5.  Some even doubt He wrote it Himself.

      6.  It may be true that He created the world, but
          what has He done since then?

      7.  His cooperative efforts have been quite

      8.  The scientific community has had a hard time
          replicating His results.

      9.  He never applied to the Ethics Board for
          permission to use human subjects.

      10. When one experiment went awry, He tried to
          cover it up by drowning the subjects.

      11. When subjects didn't behave as predicted, He
          deleted them from the sample.

      12. He rarely came to class, just told students to
          read the book.

      13. Some say He had His son teach the class.

      14. He expelled His first two students for

      15. Although there were only ten requirements, most
          students failed His tests.

      16. His office hours were infrequent and usually
          held on a mountaintop.