Friday, November 16

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 18, 2001
      ASHE

      "Who cares if somebody is enlightened or not.
      Sometimes even a little kid can give you a great
      idea or cause you to see something which was right
      in front of your eyes." --cYBER

      Hi Cyber

      You reminded me of something

      "You need to know a lot more to be quiet than you
      do to keep on talking."

      Anna aged 6

      (from Anna and Mister God)

      and I still havent managed to shut up!!!

      love

      Ashe

      JOYCE: One can note that pursuing the myth of
      nonduality always occurs within accepted practices
      and norms and is kind of a "church" where its high
      priests stand up to proclaim the obvious as the
      miraculous.

      GARY: Yes, really, being a pseudo-non dualist is
      complement indeed! even if not intended as such. It
      is right on the button. Its the real non-dualists
      that I'm worried about. The mythic nature of
      reality is not recognised which is to say the
      common sense assumptions that make up our view of
      the world are still unconscious and taken for
      granted as obviously true. There can't be a
      paradigm shift or new myth without exploration into
      the old one as despite intellectual knowing of a
      theory our 'modus operandi' is still rooted in the
      old view. Needless to say the essence of myth
      revolves about 'self' and relationship to the
      universe. We have a 'myth' about ourselves as
      subjects in an objective universe, separate selves,
      that has been passed down through the generations
      and continues to be dysfunctional and neurotic.

      RON WHITAKER

      My meditation this morning was just like the
      weather foggy, lots of thoughts. Where do they all
      come from? There must be some reason for these
      thoughts. Then the daily AHAM message:

      Bhagavan Ramana: Seek the Self through meditation.
      In this manner, trace every thought back to it
      origin, which is only the mind. Never allow thought
      to run on. If you do, it will be unending. Take it
      back to its starting place, the mind, again and
      again, and it and the mind will both die of
      inaction. The mind exists only by reason of
      thought. Stop that and there is no mind. As each
      doubt and depression arises, ask yourself, "Who is
      it that doubts? What is it that is depressed?" Go
      back constantly to the question, "Who is the 'I'?
      Where is it?" Tear everything away until there is
      nothing but the Source of all left. And then - live
      always in the present and only in it. There is no
      past or future, save in the mind.

      NINA

      My professional decline began with aggressive
      idealism, shifted to the need for positive feedback
      about what I was doing, shifted to the need for
      mentorship, finally shifted to the need to simply
      get compensated fairly for the shit work I was
      doing. That was the crisis point.

      Some have joked that I was 'ordained' as a child to
      do this kind of work. Somehow, it got all warped
      out of any realistic manifestation. How did that
      happen? Long story. In the end, I finally blew it
      off. Totally, unspeakably, set myself adrift.

      The moment I completely let go of it and could see
      myself not ever doing it again, a curious thing
      happened.

      I was offered a job that is, essentially, exactly
      what I was looking for when I started out. Granted,
      this is a temporary job, so in a way, it feels like
      a brief peek into a past life. Given what I have
      gone through, I laugh at myself in this job every
      day. Hard to take myself seriously anymore. Despite
      the kudos I am finally receiving. <g>

      The conversation? That in order to see the work
      clearly and do it well, an architect must let go,
      completely, of any attachment to architecture. To
      find oneself in a position of -not caring at all-,
      of not identifying at all with the work. To realize
      that architecture doesn't save the world.

      Funny that this firm would still hire me after I
      told him that I had spent the last year scraping
      out all vestiges of, essentially, ambition for my
      career. Ha! Put that in your job-seekers' manual.
      Funny, too, that though I have been hired by a
      "dream firm" and have this "dream job", I realize I
      could walk away and it wouldn't matter one iota.

      MELODY

      I read the following last evening just before bed.

      It seems to tie nicely with Nina's sharing on
      dropping attachments to outcome, and Jack's
      thoughts about being 'conscious' only 3% of the
      time.

      ( I really like this lady, Toni Packer, a whole
      bunch. She may have inspired my trip cross country
      to simply 'sit' with someone for a while.)

      She writes, in part:

      "In the expectation of wonderful things to happen
      in the future, one doesn't hear the sound of the
      wind and rain, the breath and heartbeat this
      instant. Fantasy provides stimulation. When
      fantasizing, one imagines pleasant past and future
      experiences....

      Can we see that fantasy creates constant new
      stimulation that drowns out the lack of stimulation
      right now? And what is that?

      Boredom?

      What one one labels "boredom", one does not take
      the time or energy to experience directly........

      What is boredom when the label is put aside? There
      are sensations throughout the body. There may be a
      very flat, dull state and also a certain
      restlessness from wanting something else, something
      more exciting, a new and different stimulation.
      This is not just mental or verbal stuff: the whole
      body creaves its accustomed "fix". The process is
      like addiction and withdrawal - feeling deprived
      and wanting, wanting, wanting.

      .......We rarely touch THIS. We rarely contact this
      simple moment. So used to constant input and
      excitement, we lack fine-tuning into all the
      subtleties of this instant, the ability to register
      quiet aliveness without the stirring of
      expectation.

      .....We think we can't bear it - the boredom, the
      depression, the pain. We feel it's too awful, too
      difficult. It's not the "spiritual work" we
      imagine. But these are all thoughts, feelings,
      labels.

      What is the real thing - this instant of not
      expecting anything?"

      MICHAEL READ

      So now you're enlightened, awake, realized and flat
      broke. Just how the heck do you make any money off
      of this? I mean after all those trips to India,
      Burma, China, Peru; all those workshops,
      intensives, and retreats; the yoga, tai chi, qi
      qong, and karate lessons; the channelings, the
      tarot readings, the past life regressions not to
      mention the divorce and child support payments -
      well you are just tapped out. You couldn't buy the
      echo off of a two bit whistle.

      You could take your traveling satsang act on the
      road. But the price of admission is usually only
      $10 or $15 and the audiences are small. And you
      don't have the right charisma or agent for the
      really big draws. Heck, it's just enlightenment not
      charm school.

      But all is not lost for you broke yet glowing folk.
      We'll just apply a little good old American
      ingenuity and creativity to the problem. And voila!
      T-shirt sales. Hey, it has made many a goof ball
      rich - don't knock it!

      Here is the nut of my proposal - free franchise.
      Yes, free franchise. You pay no royalties, fees, or
      assignments. You only share your T-shirt ideas with
      the other franchisees. It is up to you as a
      franchisee to finance and produce your own T-shirt.
      You choose from the pool of T-shirt sayings what
      you like. Then you go to a T-shirt printer and have
      your idea printed up on how ever many t shirts you
      can afford. If you get some friends to pool money
      with you, you can do more.

      So, say, if you would like to use:

      I'm not only ENLIGHTENED I'm with Stupid here ->

      the idea will cost you nothing but what you are
      willing to invest. You can do whatever you want
      with the profits - if any. Keep it, donate it to
      charity, buy lottery tickets, whatever. Totally up
      to you.

      Here are some starter ideas.

      If you got troubles,
      you must think you are real.

      (the above was right out of tonight's NDS posts)

      ---

      I've heard that God is All There Is.
      I just wonder what the fuck
      YOU'RE  looking at. :-)

      ---

      Go Anywhere
      Do Nothing
      Love Everybody

      (the above from the NDS Salon home page)

      ---

      If I weren't such a blissful Buddha like
      person, I'd kick your ass for that!

      ---

      God, party of one...

      ---

         Hey!

       YOU!

       loveya

      ---

      Buddha BEER
      the beer to have
      when you're only
      having one!

      ---

      Well that's the idea folks. What you do with it is
      what you do with it.

      There is one little teeny tiny matter left - the
      disclaimer. If you should get laughed at, ridiculed
      or punched because you actually are wearing one of
      these T-shirts, or if you go broke trying to
      market, produce, or profit from the sale of one or
      all of these T-shirt ideas, tough luck!

      --
      http://nonduality.com
      http://nonduality.net