Saturday, November 10

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 12, 2001

      NET SUFI

      QUOTING JACK KORNFIELD

      There's something in us, in our nature, which
      compels us to discover. I remember a very powerful
      moment with the old guru who I studied with,
      Nisargadatta Maharaj, who taught the way of Nisarga
      Yoga. "Nisarga" means natural. The basic
      translation of his name was "Mr. Natural". He was
      this 80-year old cigarette-smoking man. He had a
      little cigarette stand. He was kind of a
      combination like Krishnamurti and Fritz Perls. He
      would put you on the hot seat when you came in and
      ask you about your spiritual life. One day we were
      in a room about this big. People were coming in and
      asking questions. Somebody came in and asked a
      question and was a little bit dissatisfied and
      left. And another person raised their hand and
      said, "Maharaj, what will happen to that person who
      came and asked that question and left? Is it all
      over for them in this life? They didn't stay here.
      You are a great guru, and they weren't interested,
      and they went home." And he twinkled at that
      moment, he really lit up, and he said, "It's too
      late. Even the fact that they put their foot in
      this room, even if they hadn't asked the question,
      means that somewhere in there there's a seed of
      really knowing who we are and what this life is
      about. Not what you were taught in elementary
      school or what's on TV or the newspapers, but a
      deep seed of knowing our true nature, that wants to
      discover; it's like coming home. The fact that he
      just walked in the room means that that seed has
      started to sprout. And no matter if he tries to
      forget it and goes back and gets lost, sooner or
      later that will manifest in awakening."

      MATTHEW

      of course old "mr. natural" failed to mention that
      it would most likely be much later (ie:not this
      lifetime), cause thats just too depressing for
      hopeful seekers to hear. Can you even consider not
      "getting it" this lifetime? I don't mean giving up.
      I don't mean not practicing. Just giving up any
      hope of it ever happening. Ever. But continueing on
      as if it could happen in the next moment (cause it
      could). What else is there to do anyway?

      JERRY

      actually, I wonder if he said it. Nisargadatta
      speaks in a more holographic, direct way. Let's
      face it. By the time Nisargadatta's words were
      interpreted, and Kornfield interpreted the
      interpretation himself, wrote about it, passed it
      through his editors who probably made it suitable
      for an audience of linear mind, and re-wrote the
      whole thing, it's milk toast for a mass audience.
      It's at least five times removed from what
      Nisargadatta said.

      i'll go out on a limb and say there is no
      Nisargadatta book that quotes N. saying that stuff.
      I don't hear Nisargadatta talking gently about
      seeds sprouting.

      Here's what I found in 'I Am That', that sounds
      more like him: "The very meeting a Guru is the
      assurance of liberation. Perfection is life-giving
      and creative." (p. 101 in the orange book.)

      GENE POOLE

      PERSPECTIVES OF NOTHING

      Time to stop time:

      Time moves when we gather information; if we do
      nothing, there is no movement.

      Doing nothing stops time.

      No conclusions can be drawn without making time
      move; moving time is recorded as memory of 'what
      has happened'.

      Thinking spins the wheel; observing and comparing
      and concluding index the wheel to information of
      meaning. If we have known, we can know again, but
      the search for what was known, spins the wheel to
      the indexed point.

      Constant application of the talents of observing,
      indexing, and recalling, keep the wheel in motion.
      Another way to conceptualize the wheel is as
      sphere.

      If there is not the compulsion to observe, index,
      and recall, and if we discipline to allow the
      sphere to come to rest, time stops.

      When time stops, the apparent universe recedes.
      This is like watching, as you ride on the back of a
      moving vehicle, looking at where you were.
      Everything seems to move away and to get smaller.

      This can be scary. It often happens when a drug is
      ingested; in those circumstances, the sudden
      recession of the universe may trigger a strong
      impulse to 'bring it back', and this is easily done
      by observing, indexing, and recalling.

      Sometimes in meditation, such an event will occur,
      and the same method of 'bringing it back' may be
      used, or not.

      The apparent universe in recession:

      Time stops and the universe recedes; soon it is at
      arm's length and I can reach out and hold it like a
      crystal ball. I see myself in it; I am in it,
      holding it in my hand, like a crystal ball.

      I see the apparent universe around me and I know
      that I am holding it in my hand.

      The distinction created by this perception:

      As you may voluntarily look and allow your eyes to
      unfocus right now, so also may you focus. These are
      two different ways of seeing, always available.

      As you observe the apparent universe, you may do
      nothing; time will stop, and the universe will
      recede. If you continue to do nothing, the apparent
      universe will become an object whose nature is
      knowable.

      If you know, you go back into it; if you do
      nothing, nothing will change.

      These are two different ways of perceiving, always
      available.

      Gene Poole

      No nothing without a thing.
      --