Wednesday, November 7

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 8, 2001
      SHANKAR (from the I Am list)

      Long Live the Feet of the One (Sri Ramana) who 'sounds' that all is of the
      Form of the Work of God.
      Long Live the Feet of the One (Sri Ramana) who 'abides lying down',
      that only the inner (ego) and nothing else is 'marked as the place' (for the
      Work of God).

      Translation of Lines 11 and 12
      of the Five Jewels (in praise)  of the Feet of Sri Ramana
      by Sri Siva Prakasam Pillai

      MICHAEL READ

      THE ART OF BEING

      Within each of us everything exists. All the evil
      and all of the good can be found in every one of
      us. For most folk the conditioning from childhood
      on and our basic instincts are for the good. We are
      taught and trained that there are bad things,
      people, places, food and so on. These things, we
      learn, are to be avoided or overcome. Thus, we are
      not only born into duality, we are trained for it.

      We are also born with another instinct. We
      naturally feel a movement towards wholeness. We
      feel at home on this planet. Even if only deep
      down, layered over with a world of concepts, we
      feel right about being alive. It seems 'correct'
      somehow to just be alive.

      The so called spiritual seeker is born somewhere
      between the correctness of being alive and the
      fears, horrors and injustices of the world. Folks
      who seek are looking for something that will
      explain, integrate and make sense of their lives.
      From this seeking we know that religions and
      philosophies have been created as systems to
      explain it all - or, at least try to.

      Seekers will do almost anything to find whatever it
      is they seek. They could be seeking god,
      understanding, money, or whatever. Seekers will go
      all over the world, if they have to, to find the
      object they want. In the early stages of seeking
      the thing sought is often treated as just another
      object. The thing that will give the ultimate
      reward - albeit riches, sex, fame, personal growth,
      enlightenment, even god.

      When the seeking is turned outward, so many things
      are found. We find gurus, practices, religions,
      [money, fame, sex (sometimes :-)]. These things
      seem to satisfy us, at least for a time. The
      seeking can actually stop when these things are
      fulfilled or seem to be fulfilled in our lives.

      If they are not, or we lose our enchantment with
      them, the seeking continues. Having explored the
      'outer' world we have no place left to look except
      the 'inner' world. This is terra incognita - the
      unknown land - for most if not all seekers. And it
      can be a very scary place.

      Everything about being human is there inside of us.
      All the murder, mayhem, and cruelty as well as all
      of the compassion, love, and respect.

      Sometimes we see the things that we are in a
      logical and somewhat detached way. Other times we
      will experience directly the things we find inside
      of us. And, there are times when we experience them
      in an imaginative and at times playful way.

      What is seeking anyway? If we consider seeking as a
      natural process, we could consider it as growth and
      integration. Or, we could see it as personal
      development, the path, exploration and so many
      other terms.

      When the process of seeking turns inward we can
      find so many things about ourselves. Some of them
      are pleasant and some not so pleasant. The things
      discovered can rock a person's world off of its oh
      so comfortable foundations.

      We can and do have visions, samadhis, kundalini,
      and great highs. This is due in large part to the
      phenomena and feelings of openness that often
      accompanies seeking. When the fruits of our seeking
      are sweet we may feel that we are really making
      progress.

      Seeking also has a dark side to it. Perhaps it is
      because we had some real sincerity that we are also
      shown this dark side. The seeker can have times
      when he or she feels so disconnected from god, the
      truth, and life itself. Seekers can be thrown into
      extreme states of fear, paranoia, depression,
      anxiety and aloneness. And, it isn't fun anymore.

      Why these extremes of pure bliss and screaming
      fear? The bouncing around from sweet reason to
      gibbering insanity has a function. Remember,
      seeking (as defined here) is a process of
      integration. When the seeking takes one into the
      extremes sometimes it seems as if seeking just
      can't be endured. The joy can be too much as can
      the fear.

      The purpose and the reason the seeker goes through
      the extremes is so that he or she can know what it
      feels like in a direct and experiential way. At
      some point the realization comes that you have
      survived it all - I hope. You have learned so much
      but, the question remains - who are you?

      As your friend, my advice is to find out.

      RASHMI

      The art of being. Beautiful. Could there be a better way of being
      able to say  it. Thanks Michael. On this point Maharaj Nisargadatta
      says that inspite of whatever he said, we continue to seek and sort
      of what Michael said we're trained to do just that. Here are 2 tips
      that Maharaj gives us in the book "Pointers from Nisargadatta
      Maharaj" to gladden our hearts if we really are apt on continuing
      our `self-improvement' course.

      1.Make it a habit to think and speak in the passive tense. Instead
      of `I see something' or `I hear something', why not think the passive
      way: `something is seen' or `something is heard.'? The perception
      will then be not on the basis of an action by the phenomenal entity,
      but on the basis of an event or occurrence. In due course, the pseudo-
      entity `I' will recede into the background.

      2.Before going to sleep at night, spend about ten minutes sitting
      relaxed both in body and mind, taking your stand that you are not the
      body-mind construct but the animating consciousness, so that this
      idea will impregnate your being throughout the period of your sleep.

      JAMES TRAVERSE

      Thanks for the tips. There is something similar in
      the yoga form I practice...

      The approach is like one scientist repeating the
      experiment of another, where the one conducting the
      experiment is advised by the other to adopt the
      premise: 'everything manifests from/in the ocean of
      Seeing'

      So thoughts, emotions, feelings, the body, flow of
      the breath, all objects are waves that arise
      from/in the ocean of Seeing. ~~~

      The application of this follows a four stage
      process that mirrors the four part cycle of
      breathing - inspiration,pause,expiration,pause...

      The inspiration is the idea, the intellectual
      understanding of the experinemnt. The pause after
      inspiration is the Seeing which is still associated
      with the intellect-the seer. The expiration is the
      ending of the seer. Seeing reveals the limitations
      of the seer, thus the seer relaxes and is absorbed
      in the Seeing, like a wave releasing into the
      ocean. The pause after expiration is the
      'realization' - as in to 'make real'. This is
      'living understanding' or 'living yoga' - all
      movements appear in the the Stillness of the Seeing
      Itself. ~~~

      The Truth of this is instantaneous and yet the
      residue of the I-entity may take some time to fully
      dissolve.

      Those of you in North Carolina might want to contact Joshua:

      name:Joshua
      email:joshua1@...
      Your Location:Fuquay-Varina, NC
      text:Always interested in meeting/meditating with anyone else drawn by
      the Perennial Philosophy in any of it's pure aspects.

      -----------------------

      Folks in San Diego might want to contact this gentleman:

      name:Michael Adamson
      email:Ad
      amson@...
      Your Location:San Diego, California
      text:Yes, I'm open to meeting other nondualists. I live between Poway
      and Rancho Bernardo just off I-15.

      MARK OTTER

      your post reminds me of a story Gangaji tells about
      Papaji's teaching. (I think I have the right
      characters...I'm telling this from memory, so I
      hope all concerned will forgive if I totally mangle
      it.) A man came to Papaji one day, very distraught
      and begged him for advice. Papaji wouldn't listen
      right away, but had his students come to listen
      too. When all were assembled, he let the man tell
      his story, which was that he was having a terrible
      time. Apparently, he lived over a car repair place
      and the car repair work went on all night long,
      with considerable noise, banging, small explosions
      and whatnot. He was having a terrible time sleeping
      and was in danger of losing his job and he wanted
      Papaji to tell him how to deal with the situation.
      Papaji had his students give their opinions, and
      Gangaji tried very hard to get it right, so she
      suggested learning meditation so that the man could
      find peace in the midst of chaos. Papaji laughed
      and told the man to move to an apartment that was
      not over a car repair place.

      I think both approaches are helpful (and
      complimentary). I have for most of my life lived in
      quiet places, and when I used to visit my
      girlfriend and sleep over, I was always annoyed by
      the condo noises, television sets, walking
      overhead, loud conversations and had trouble
      sleeping. Later I moved to a place near a highway,
      and I was very concerned that the traffic noise
      would bother me, but you know? I got used to it. I
      very rarely notice it anymore. I'm not sure why,
      but I think I accepted its presence and once I did
      that, it faded away as an irritant. It may well be
      that if we accept the presence of unfairness, it
      will fade out as an irritant. I've been doing
      tonglen awhile now, breathing in the pain and
      suffering of the world and breathing out peace,
      like I'm a filter that can help clean the air of
      unhappiness. I recommend that you do tonglen for
      your neighbor, and use the sound of her shoes on
      the ceiling to remind yourself to do it. Each time
      you hear her and feel aggravation arising, accept
      it, welcome it in with the intent to take her
      suffering on yourself and return to her some peace
      and love. It's quite surprising what happens. You
      become peaceful and loving. Try it. It's the
      coolest thing! Really feel the suffering on the in
      breath and really feel the peace and goodwill on
      the outbreath. With practice, you will become
      accomplished at turning the one into the other and
      irritating stimuli will automatically start the
      practice, bringing on a peaceful feeling. (well,
      it's worth a try and it's fun to do in your spare
      time. I haven't generated any cash by doing it, but
      then I don't seem to generate cash doing much of
      anything. so send cash. that's my real message,
      send Mark cash. yeah, that's it... back to normal.
      whew!)

      --
      http://nonduality.com
      http://nonduality.net