11/4/01 Sunday

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 5, 2001
      **************

      GARY MERRILL
       Idiotic compassion ?!

      Hi James,

      >       Thanks for your
      comment. And yes, one could say that the Heart
      > has no path. Then again
      one could allow the word 'path' with the
      > qualification that there is no
      path *to* the Heart and yet there is
      > the path *of* the Heart.

      Yes I hear what you saying. To talk of a 'path' assumes a seeker separate
      from the path when we could say that there is no such seeker or that the
      seeker is the path. Path -etique :-)

      Also, equally perversely, the way of the Heart is heartless, not knowing
      itself in any such abstract way it remains undivided and not dedicated to
      any mental form 'heart' or 'not heart'. Or there is only Heart prior to self
      activity.

      As you posted the Tao Te Ching calls this Virtue.

      I like the Tao metaphor 'Uncarved Block' to indicate this as well.

      Your fellow blockhead,
      Gary

      JERRY KATZ

      Harsha wrote:

      > Bright, clear, and insightful Jerry. You
      should be charging money for advice
      > of this caliber. I would pick you
      anytime over Dear Abby or Ann Landers. In
      > fact, it would be great if you
      started a Dear Jerry column. You have the
      > talent for it. We will support
      it at HarshaSatsangh.

      > Love
      > Harsha

      I'll think about it, Harsha. Right now I'm busy visualizing whirled
      peas, which I know all my followers are also doing.

      But I'll leave you with a little story. I think it shows something about
      what love requires.

      I worked in a very busy deli-restaurant in Santa Monica. In those days
      in the 70's there was a line all day long of people waiting to be
      seated. It was rough and really abusive.

      We had a cook who cursed all day long. The f---ing this and the f---ing
      that, it was the f word all day long, and his bitterness all day long.
      But I gotta tell you, he got those orders up beautifully. He was a
      master in that way. And he looked miserable. Short, wiry, no teeth,
      ragged big mustache, he was in his early fifties but looked a lot older.
      He was miserable and unkempt.

      But Manny had a girl friend.

      She was in her early 20's. Tall, nice figure and long blazing red hair.
      She was very pretty and wore high heels and short dresses. She was on
      drugs or something, and you couldn't help but notice it. Eyes half shut,
      slurring words, "Gotta see Manny."

      When she walked in that restaurant, two things happened.

      One, no on stopped her.

      She walked in with confidence in those high heels and headed straight to
      Manny as though there was no one else around and only business to be
      conducted.

      And, two, Manny would light up.

      He'd smile (though you could tell he was kinda trying not to) and all
      the 'f' words would be hushed.

      She would march directly to the kitchen and no matter how busy Manny
      was, and he was always busy, he put things on hold. She always came in
      for money. And Manny dished it out. She'd walk out the same way she
      walked in.

      The glow and smiles would last for a minute or two, and then it was back
      to the f--ing this and the f---ing that.

      She eventually got pregnant by Manny, and would come in with the baby,
      carrying the child like a second thought, its head not secured properly
      but not really unsafely either, and, again, no one stopped her as she
      marched to the kitchen.

      Sometimes when it wasn't too busy, Manny would hold the baby caringly,
      and a waitress or two -- the older ones -- would go back there with him.

      jerry

      GLORIA LEE
      quoting Tao

      Be content with what you have;
            rejoice in the way things are.
      When you realize there is nothing lacking,
            the whole world belongs to you.
         - Lao Tzu
          Tao Te Ching