10/23/01 Tuesday

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 25, 2001
      *************

      ERIC BLACKSTEAD

      Glo & Friends,

      I'm so glad that I got to read, even study, don Juan's thoughts
      without the impediment of knowing anything about Castaneda. Once
      you've encountered him as himself(nominally himself), you are at
      least comforted by the solid realization that Don Juan could not have
      been invented by this utterly silly man. Castaneda just doesn't have
      that kind of imagination or integrity to be capable of inventing a
      stunning and mysterious being like Don Juan.

      What Don Juan really is, or was, is a mystery, but what he assuredly
      is not is the invention of Carlos Castaneda, and I like to think that
      we're all the better for it.

      When people would ask Muktananda about someone like the Maharishi,
      Baba would say "Oh, he's a very good yogi. Now his Guru was a great
      Siddha..." and he would be off. Years before the word got out,
      someone connected with the SYDA library in S.Fallsburg, knowing of my
      fascination with Castaneda's works, got me a copy of his interview
      with Baba, and Baba, true to form, talked only of Castaneda's guru,
      tantalizingly pointing out that the great siddhas, the achievers of
      his own lineage did many of the same things as Don Juan, like
      appearing differently to different people at the same time, or
      appearing in 2 different places before 2 different groups of people
      at the same time.

      That was long ago, but one of my fascinations with my early rambles
      around the internet in the last year or so, was stumbling on many
      sites with latter day material on Castaneda, including a lot of these
      Tensegrity Workshops. Nothing is more obvious in Castaneda's silly
      presentation of himself, where he is clearly trying to be cool,
      mysterious and magnetic, than that he has neither the wit nor the
      insight into the wellsprings of human action to have invented Don
      Juan. Carlos presents himself as a "fool", a "fart", etc., and does a
      remarkably convincing job of it. He seems something like the Andy
      Warhol of spiritual life, where your reaction to him will produce a
      lot more insight for you than the actual work with which he presents
      himself.

      yours in the bonds,
      eric

      "Gloria Lee" <glee@c...> wrote:
      >       Castaneda lived an obscure,
      mysterious life and kept himself
      hidden from public view. He did not allow anyone to take a photograph
      of him. There are only a few rare family photos and this portrait of
      him that Dick Oden drew and Castaneda (who himself was an artist
      before the height of his writing career) partially erased.

      > for more see:

      href="http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1476768337">http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1476768337

      HARSHA

      **************************************
      The reference made by Swami Muktananda here is to Maharishi Mahesh Yogi, the
      founder of the TM movement. Maharishi Mahesh Yogi's guru was Brahmananda
      Sarswati, who later became one of the Shankracharyas of India.

      Swami Brahamananda led a highly disciplined and ascetic life and was widely
      respected as a great yogi in India and was often referred to as a Siddha.

      Love to all
      Harsha

      DIANA

      Continuing gratitude to Jerry for NDS.  Like a dream, one can
      never exhaust its richness.

      ...Would give an eye tooth to see Lucille...well, maybe not...I'm old
      and need to hang onto my teeth.

      ...Buffeted, recently by all the pov's of the lists.  Recontenting
      myself to abide in Silence, not reopen yet another, 'higher level'
      search.

      ...Wonderful Tom Robbins :)  Now, THERE would be a satsang! :))

      JERRY KATZ

      Because there is no elsewhere,
      The desire to be elsewhere
      Is called suffering.

      Being present with desire itself,
      But not the desire to be elsewhere,
      Is a position of power.

      When in that position
      The World Dream
      Sits at your knee
      And listens

      BOBBY G.

      The following is from "Vivekachudamani" -Ramana Maharshi

      ...This infinity of Brahamn is my Self and yours and that of other
      individuals.
      Great texts such as 'That thou art' reveal the identity between the
      Brahman known as 'That' and the individual known as 'thou'.  The
      identity is not shown by the literal meaning of 'that' and 'thou'.
      The literal meaning of 'that' is Ishvara's maya which is the cause of
      the universe, and the literal meaning of 'thou' is the five sheaths
      of the ego.  These are non-existent superimpositions, the cause and
      efffect of non-existent phantoms.  Their qualities are opposite to
      each other. like the sun and the glow-worm, the king and the slave,
      the ocean and the well, Mount Meru and the atom.  There can be no
      identity between Brahman and the individual in the literal sense
      of 'that' and 'thou' , and it is not in this way that the scriptures
      postulate the identity...

      Now you guys straighten up!! :]]

      Love,
      Bobby G.

      DAN BERKOW

      Hi John --

      I don't believe it was me who said that.

      I don't believe there is any special truth
        in language, although there is no less
        truth in language ...

      "What is" moves very quickly.

      There is no keeping up with it,
        only being it.

      Being it, there is perfect, undisturbed
        stillness.

      We can discuss "what is", but words
        have neither added a special truth,
        nor subtracted ...

      Words are inevitable, as we human beings
        are word-forming creatures :-)

      Namaste,
      Dan

      DAN BERKOW

      The so-called ego dude is the doer, the wanter,
        the knower, the haver -- yet there is no agent
      anywhere.

      With no doer, there can be no done to.

      Ah, mind-traps of conceptuality, also
         known as mother maya ...

      Without her, not a thing is.

      With her, not a thing is.

      But with her are a thousand worlds
        of appearance and belief :-)

      Swing those veils, dance that dance!

      Let's you and me take our places
        as simultaneously is predestined before time began
        and is spontaneous movement of now...

      Dan

      JODY
      Nonduality and Drugs

      .  I don't have
      > anything against drugs.  I guess I
      thought that if a person was realized,
      > they wouldn't really have any
      desire or need to take drugs.  What do you
      > think?  Are drugs
      "bad" when trying to transcend? Are they helpful?  I'm
      > very curious
      what an acid trip would be like for one who is fully
      > realized...would it
      even do anything?

      > Laura

      Realized people are *exactly* like everyone else *except* for the
      presence of jnana.  A realized person will experience drugs just
      as any other person does.  However, an unrealized person might
      experience a shift in their identification as an individual as
      the result of a drug experience, whereas a realized person will not,
      as they have already shifted permanently.

      Drugs can help *and* hinder simultaneously.  It really depends
      on the personality structure of the individual imbibing.  The thing
      to remember is that there is nothing to transcend.  Realization is a
      simple recognition of something that is always available, always
      present.  Taking a psychedelic drug might shake things up enough
      to provide an opening where jnana can shine, but this is extremely
      rare and not to be counted on.

      However, because much of the "path" is psychological, there is
      something to be said for the efficacy of certain psychedelics
      such as psilocybin, lsd, mdma, mescaline, yage, etc.  It all
      depends on what you want out of them and who you are going into
      them.

      BRUCE

      There's a famous anecdote
      about that involving Ram
      Dass and his guru, Neem
      Karoli Baba.  Here's a
      telling of it from the
      introduction to Ram Dass'
      "Doing Your Own Being"
      written be someone named
      Ernest Scott, it's toward
      the end of the page:
      <http://www.neemkarolibaba.com/stories/books/start.html>

      JERRY

      It's cool what you say, jody.

      whatever happened to 7 day STP? Was that a real drug, or what? Anyone ever try it? Anyone got any? I could use some 7-day stp in my system. And how about some Jewish LSD: lox, salami, and danish.

      I'm listening to music from the 60's and 70's. Having flashbacks. Bread's 'Make it with You' is on and coffee is a dime at Denny's.

      bang a gong,
      jerry

      BRUCE

      Yeah, but does gasoline go
      for 22.9 cents/gallon and do
      brand new VW beetles cost
      $1,800 complete with a
      dealer-installed AM radio?

      JODY

      > It's cool what you say, jody.
      >
      > whatever happened to 7
      day STP? Was that a real drug, or what?

      I've never tried or happened across any STP, although I knew
      someone who used it once.  He said it was like he grabbed on
      to a freight train that was moving at 100 mph while he was
      standing stationary next to the tracks.

      There's also Salvia Divinorium, which when smoked might turn
      you into the outside wall of your house for five years, or
      ketamine, which sometimes gives you an NDE complete with the
      tunnel and light at the end of it.  DMT is a favorite of some
      friends of mine, where you might have conversations with the
      machine elves that work the controls behind the curtains of Maya.

      However, none of that is jnana.  It all takes place within Maya
      with Maya as the provider of content.  I know a ton of people who
      say they use psychedelics to find "inner meaning" when really all
      they're after is a good high.  They've come to associate peak
      experiences with spiritual experiences, and therefore have completely
      inhibited their own realization as they're expecting it to be just
      like their peak experiences.

      Not that there's anything wrong with getting high once in a while,
      as long as you aren't hurting yourself or others.  But if you come
      to expect realization to be like being high, you'll never see it
      sitting right there in your shirt pocket.