10/16/01 Tuesday

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 17, 2001
      All 'NOWs' are the same.

      I have just spent a week with my family on the beautiful East African Coast.

      This time things were different for me.
      On the way to the Coast in a slow night train there was no excitement or
      expectancy, nor impatience to get there. I was quite content with the NOW
      of the train journey.
      At the Coast my Wife and kids had the best holiday ever. For me it was just
      another NOW to be content and happy with.
      Back in Nairobi I am still content and peaceful with the NOW.

      I think living in the NOW makes a person content, even happy with any
      situation. I suspect it would make no difference to me living in
      Afghanistan [at risk of a bomb falling on me, and a very uncertain future]
      or on a beautiful deserted Island with friends [and comforts] of my choosing.

      Anybody with similar [or more 'non-dual' ] experiences?

      With Love,
      Cyber Dervish

      A puzzle

      If all we know is only known in reference to something else
      How can we know anything?
      How can anything be certain?
      Even uncertainty itself is uncertain.

      Thinking about the segment of the population generally interested in
      spiritual thoughts and approaches, and which reads spiritual books, how
      would you explain to the people making-up that population why it is
      important to understand nonduality?

      Yes, I'm trying to con a publisher into publishing my book, which will
      make us all famous.

      Hi Jerry-ji,

      Some thoughts that might help with the selling in your conference w/
      publisher or agent:

      -Teaches tolerance for all, something sorely needed these days
      -No nondualist has ever attacked another country
      -The core of all religions
      -Has unexpected answers to purpose of life, where everything came from, and
      what will happen after we die
      -It's getting to be a hot subject
      -Quietly becoming a grass-roots phenomenon (I know, contradicts the
      previous point)
      -It's what Deepak and Oprah's teachings are based on
      -The Dalai Lama's teachings too, but buried a bit deeper
      -Lots of internet activity in this direction
      -Goes more quickly to the very heart of the matter than anything else
      -No conceptual baggage, nothing to learn or memorize
      -A person needn't have a religion, adopt one, or abandon their current one
      -There are versions with spiritual practices, and versions without

      Break a leg Jerry!  If yours gets published, I'll write one next!  What
      about the NDS Books enterprise??

      Good points Sir Greg. I'll keep them in mind for my book.
      Its tentative title is 'The Awakening Heart'. However I have been
      geting good response to the title 'Zen, Poetry and Other Spiritual

      Other points to consider
      - Non-duality is open, freewheeling, full of laughter and sharing.
      - you can't do it wrong, only better.
      - is low on calories but high on energy.
      - meditation is optional.
      - accepts you just as you are.
      - always has a place set for you at the table.
      - makes you a better lover.
      - keeps you warm at night.
      - is gentle but strong.
      - lasts a lifetime.
      - answers all questions.
      - chuckles at itself.

      loveya - michael

      I think the main reason people turn to spirituality is to find
      self-acceptance.  If they can make themselves God, then of course
      they will accept themselves, despite the fact that they're ugly,
      or fat, or stupid, or freakish, or whatever other putdowns are
      ruling their minds.

      It begins this way, and hopefully leads to self-acceptance first,
      and then, the self-realization, which cannot occur without self-
      acceptance in place.  This is why I believe psychotherapy to be such
      an important component of sadhana.  Therapy with a good counselor
      will get you the self-acceptance.  That's 90% of the program right
      there.  The last 10% is up to the Cosmos.

      Ahh yes, it's a tough one!

      Before we were seekers, we lived, and no more, asleep and suffering.
      Being, actually, being what we are.
      Suffering, perhaps, we see that there must be more!
      Yes, the suffering did that!

      So God knows, I look.
      I see that there are some unanswered mysteries.
      There are incongruencies, and yes,
      with perserverence I begin to discover wonders.
      Yes, suffering did that, and not accepting the status quo.

      So I take my treasured shiney box,
      Proof that there may be salvation.
      I see by the light of  this shiney box,
      that it was my fettered mind that kept these treasures from me.
      I see that I am  not quite what I thought I was.
      Well, how did I get here anyways?

      Yes, with time, the door opens!
      What a surprise, that "last?" barrier,
      my point of view from "inside" snaps!
      I want to tell the world not to waste their
      time. I cry at the suffering, knowing now
      that there really is nothing to do.

      But I am free.
      And the secret is there to be found.
      Over and over again.
      Could that be what it's all about?
      Knowing THIS.

      Love and Light,Dave

      Dear Everyone,
          These two sentences are an excerpt from a letter that I wrote to HS a month and a half ago:
          "A surprise visitor from the past appeared on the scene and after the first day I became confused, disoriented, lost my cool, etc.  The result was a frantic search into the mind for various metaphysical explanations, which of course led to further confusion, disorientation, and loss of coolness."
          I have good news!     (Someone dance with me!!)
          Yesterday my old friend unexpectedly showed up in the driveway again.  She is still who she is and I am still who I am, but the difference this time is.....who cares?
          I learned a secret: when I stop acting like myself and I start acting "nice," I find myself in a mire of tremendous suffering.
          As myself, I may not be "nice" but I am tapped into a resource of love and compassion that is without condition and without limit!
          Aaaahhh!!!   It is so very SIMPLE!
          As fate would have it, my friend couldn't bear to stay too long.  Silence makes her squirmy.
          I wished her well on her journey and sent her off with great love.
          She gave me a hug and a kiss and went to give one to Ananda (one month shy of 4) and Ananda said to her quite plainly, "I don't like kisses on me."   I just beamed.  I guess my daughter already knows that secret.
          And the autumn wind is blowing gently
          loosening the crispy leaves from their hold
          They are floating down without effort
          and even though they are lifeless
          they paint the earth unknowingly
          with their radiance