Friday, October 5

  • jerry@nonduality.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 6, 2001
      MATTHEW FILES

      One of the saddest effects of a life separate from
      God and unsurrendered to His Essential Being, is
      the lack of trust between human beings. We really
      do not trust one another, even in the midst of the
      most "loving" and personal relationships. We
      exhibit all kinds of superficial trust, or
      "selective" trust, trusting where money is
      concerned but not where sex is concerned or trusing
      where sex is concerned but not where diet or
      business is concerned, and so on. But the reality
      of things should make it very plainly clear that we
      do not trust other human beings in a very deep and
      meaningful way, nor with any consitency. In fact it
      is more common to trust animals, dogs and cats and
      gerbils, by the average man, and even tigers and
      lions by some, than to trust other human beings. To
      say that dolphins are inherently "trustable" and
      that humans are not does not address the essential
      problem. Our lives are empty and painful, always
      slightly on edge even when we ostensibly are
      completely succesful, because we do not trust one
      another beyond the superficialities of social
      convention.

      GLORIA LEE

      Every day, priests minutely examine the Dharma
      And endlessly chant complicated sutras.
      Before doing that, though, they should learn
      How to read the love letters sent by the wind
      and rain, the snow and moon.
      -- Ikkyu

      --
      http://nonduality.com