10/3/01 Wednesday

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 5, 2001
      from Metta Zetty

      As for me, my epiphanies have been somewhat acute, but not as
      experientially long lasting.
      Even with my 3-hour epiphany, the state of overwhelming
      euphoria eventually did pass.  And, although a profound measure
      of this euphoric Satisfaction has lingered (or, more accurately:
      it is now inherent within my present moment experience), most
      of my daily experience still feels quite "ordinary" and normal.
      It is just that the context and framework for understanding and
      appreciating this experience have shifted completely, and it
      is difficult now *not* to see everything within the light of
      this Awakening....

      As the Buddha, himself, said:
               I obtained not the least thing from unexcelled,
               complete awakening, and for this very reason it
               is called 'unexcelled, complete awakening.'

      In other words, with the experience of Awakening, absolutely
      *nothing* is added to our experience.  We simply awaken into
      a deeper understanding and appreciation of our experience,
      exactly as it is, and as it has been all along.

      I feel at times that I am enlightened, but at other times
      I just feel like the same old fearful, ego-centered putz.
      What a *delightful* image! From my perspective, Enlightenment
      is simply freedom from past patterns of blocking Reality --
      or, an experiential Recognition of the relativity of all

      This does *not* mean, however, that relative things disappear,
      or even that they are suddenly and mysteriously transformed.
      Actually, I think this is one of the most common misconceptions
      about the experience of Awakening.

      In my own case, before my epiphany, I imagined that if I
      ever really *did* "wake up," somehow all the old, fearful,
      ego-centered parts of who I am would suddenly and mysteriously
      vanish. I imagined that nothing would be left except a pure,
      saintly vision of equanimity, and that in order to achieve
      this exhalted state of Clarity, I thought I'd have to work
      and struggle for years to eradicate or "purify" those "putzy"
      parts of who I am....

      But, to my utter astonishment and delight, I realized during
      the epiphany that all the teachers and saints and sages who
      said, "IT is here and now" really weren't kidding!  IT *is*
      here and now, with things exactly as they are!  And, this
      includes *all* of who we are within the present moment --
      including all the "putzy" and idiosyncratic aspects of
      being human.

      This is what is so amazing and heartening and liberating for
      each of us, i.e., the recognition that we don't need to do
      or fix *anything* in order to "achieve" Buddha-hood!  Our
      innate nature -- this state of exquisitely pure, awakened
      and naked Awareness -- in already inherent within our
      "ordinary," immediate experience.

      Perhaps the best reminder of this is the clear insight of
      Garab Dorje, the first Dzogchen master:
              Directly discover your state.
              Don't remain in doubt.
              Gain confidence in self-liberation.

      The unobstructed clarity of this teaching has (in my mind)
      often been misinterpreted to assume that transmission from
      a realized master is a necessary pre-condition for this
      recognition or direct discovery.  But, if that were, in fact,
      the case, then this would not be a "direct discovery" then,
      now would it?

      With Love,
      Cyber Dervish

      ...........yes and then after the identity of the seeker drops away
      up comes a new identity, the non-seeker. Ta-Da! "I am no longer
      seeking",  "here what arises is no-seeking" or some such mumbo-jumbo,
      advaita shuffle bullshit, self delusion.
      have a nice day

      Thanks Matt for pointing out the wonderfully obvious. :-). The contest of
      words rarely brings satisfaction as it does not resolve the conflict in
      energies behind the words. Words are mysterious. They can be used as weapons
      or they can become the soothing balm for the soul and bring peace. Have you
      heard that old song,  I can't remember it now, something like "Words are all
      I have to take your heart away."

      I hope we all have a nice day as well :-).

      Having a nice day.  You, too!

      Some random observations on this:
        The nonmaintenance of seeking is
        not equivalent to an identity as
        a nonseeker.

      What is, is nothing special, not a
        special state available for
        those with a non-seeker identity.

      What need to have others
        notice oneself as a non-seeker?
      Are there others who are to be impressed,
        or is there a self with a new stance
        to be impressed with?

      "What is" simply is, as natural openness, peace,
        nonclinging, non-nonclinging ...

      From "This is it." by Alan Watts

      "The central core of the experience seems to be the
      conviction, or insight, that the immediate *now,*
      whatever its nature, is the goal and fulfillment of
      all living.  Surrounding and flowing from this insight
      is an emotional ecstasy, a sense of intense relief,
      freedom, and lightness, and often of almost unbearable
      love for the world, which is, however, secondary.
      Often, the pleasure of the experience is confused with
      the experience and the insight lost in the ecstasy, so
      that in trying to retain the secondary effects of the
      experience the individual misses its point -- that the
      immediate *now* is complete even when it is not ecstatic.
      For ecstasy is...necessarily impermanent....But insight,
      when clear enough, persists."                pp. 18-19

      With Love,
      Cyber Dervish

      RE: Any comments? on Catherine Ingram

      The only comment I have is that this sounds good to me. There is the natural state. It invites itself into itself. And this invitation of itself into itself is given many names, such as satchitananda. being consciousness bliss. It invites itself into itself. Everything is contained within that sentence. There is 'it'. There is 'it' again. There is the lovemaking of 'it' with 'it'. Bliss is generated from this coming of the natural state into itself. Consciousness is another word for the churning of the natural state. Being is being the natural state, being the invitation of natural state into natural state, and as such nothing is seen to be happening. One can ask how any of this is known. This is the nature of consciousness, to invite itself into itself. If anyone thinks anything else is going on, if it is other than natural state inviting itself into itself, please tell me what it is.

      I'm re-reading the words of Ingram, and I think it's really cool and
      effective how she refers to her teacher, Poonjaji. That really seems to
      be a key thing, eh? I suggest everyone mention Poonjaji in their posts.
      It'll really jazz them up! A phrase like 'until I met Poonjaji' is
      guaranteed to generate a shitload of respect and interest.

      seriously, until I met poonjaji, or whatever his name is, i thought I
      could get by on my own knowledge. go know!

      on memory

      I consciously remember the formation of my first memory, at the age of two. Although I didn't have the words, I consciously said to myself that I was always going to remember this, that I was having an experience, that it was impressing itself into my 'form' through my eyes, that I had now awakened into the world as an aware person.

      What was this awakening all about? Who knew that an experience was happening when I'd never before been aware of experience? How did I know what memory was all about, and how did I know I'd remember the experience for all time? Where did the understanding that every experience is for all time, come from? Who was this old person kid toddler? This is the experience by the colored water described at http://www3.ns.sympatico.ca/umbada. At the time I remember not wanting to leave the colored water. It was 1951. Yesterday.

      And right now a person can awaken to this experience, ask what it is, who is experiencing and how that one woke up here and now, know that it is for all time, feel it being burned into nervous system. Consciousness inviting consciousness inviting consciousness. That is what it is, and what is, and what is it.