9/29/01 Saturday

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 30, 2001

      *************

      GARY MERRILL

      Dear All,

      Thank you for the many responses to my Mind Bomb post. I am sending a
      separate mail with those replies in it for anyone to browse through if
      they are so inclined.

      [Note: due to length, please see that message in archives.]

      Here is my own summary and reflections.

      The replies received ranged from the immediate, 'That's great, I think the
      same, what can we do?' to 'Such an approach is too simplistic and will end
      up part of the problem'. Also some replies seemed, to me at least, an
      opportunity for the responder to supply either their own particular
      preference for sorting the world out or a chance to air their own views and
      prejudices. As my post was all about becoming free of viewpoints, truths,
      solutions, dogmatisms and fundamentalisms of all kinds I'm not sure whether
      this was just funny or sad.

      The initial impetus for asking what we might do in the world to end such one
      track mindedness arose out of the simple insight that dogmatism is causing
      division and conflict in the world. I think many ordinary people might agree
      with this, what they might not see is that dogmatism is causing division and
      conflict within themselves and their relationships i.e. there might be such
      a thing as 'inner freedom', without which the outer world, which is a
      reflection of our inner state won't change. So there is a dynamic here that
      is both spiritual and practical, freedom within and without. Of course
      whilst the insight might be simple we are up against the determination to keep safe
      and continuous one's own pleasure and likewise keep away the world of
      trouble and pain. So there is a depth of psychological enquiry to be taken
      personally and collectively. I believe freedom is the methodology of this
      enquiry, freedom from any limiting conclusion.

      One of the concerns raised was that of being in contradiction, that any
      action will be just a reaction, a continuation of the problem. The form of
      this might be stated as being like 'The fight for freedom is still bound to
      an ideal just the same as the problem is' or 'wanting non-dogmatism is still
      another sort of dogmatism'. These are certainly the sort of responses I
      might well give myself given my own 'non-dual' inclinations. Can this be
      answered? Certainly all that I am writing now is not a matter of truth or
      dogma and there is no reason why anyone should agree. It would need to be
      clear then that anything stated is only a view not a truth, not something to
      argue over. This might be called the view of the view, the dogma of the
      dogma, the theory of the theory. Such intellectual honesty might stop the
      descent into hypocrisy and might allow that our lives have space for a sense
      of fun and humour. That this might be a war of play against ideology seems
      to escape the tied mind. At any rate this is the best answer I can give
      right now regarding contradiction.

      The next question would be that of individual responsibility. I think there
      is a general acceptance that we are all doing the best we can in our own
      lives and thus doing our own small part. Also we don't want to fall in with
      any group or organisation that's going to end up falling into disrepute or
      is going to be guided by some belief or other, most have already tried that
      and got out. So what is the situation we have? We have a world that is
      organised on the basis of belief and ideology, security, and energy is
      constantly going into that in order to sustain it and keep it stable. This
      is also reflected individually where effort is constantly being made to
      sustain our own inner situations, beliefs and status amongst everyone else
      doing the same. These are the strong forces at work developed ever since man
      found 'truth' and organised it! So there is an individual responsibility to
      be inwardly free with all that entails. Is there any energy in that or is it
      a passive condition? that would be an important question. If the energy that
      goes into ideology went into freedom would there be energy born of that
      intelligence?

      So what is the next step. Its seems clear that we all have the
      responsibility for our own freedom, our own integrity, so there is no
      compromise on that. Still there is nothing to stop us coming together,
      sharing about this both privately and in the public domain. So far as I have
      the energy to do that I will, and continue to welcome and support others
      with a similar 'clear view'.

      Love and best wishes,
      Gary

      ERIC ASHFORD

      Manifesting this day

      It should be remembered that dead stars also shine upon the
      eye. Light is a time traveler, thus what is seen is always a
      presumed view of our reality. Likewise, all manifest things
      are lit by the entropy of light and time, and cannot be relied
      upon to be present. This is the actuality of this perceptive
      moment. Unless we become this moments light.

      In order for the perceptual world to be at hand. Instantly.
      It must be manifest by awakened light, not dying light. To
      manifest, is to bring to hand that which strikes us now.
      There is only one light that happens now, and that is our
      mindful consciousness.

      After sleep we awake. This waking and sleeping is also star
      shine. To be the light of the world we need to be a nova. To
      manifest the simplicity of creative awareness. So that each
      moment is contained within the alpha and omega of
      ourselves. To self reveal beyond time.

      There is no such thing as a day beyond our creation. Every
      eventuality can be lit by conscious intention. Just as an eon
      of karma is obliterated by one moments complete self
      forgiveness, so this day is not before you, but is the birth of
      your creative reality. That is its extent. It cannot be more or
      less than the light you give to it.

      Ye are Gods, is not some idle fancy the ancients dreamed of.
      Only megalomaniacs dream small dreams. God-light is
      beyond dreams, for it is free of the paths of time. Nothing
      limits, but the belief in limitation. Thus we can create this
      day beyond time, that it be the revelation of time.

      Momentary revelation is as a message in a bottle sent by the
      All of us, that arrives upon a present shore, between past
      and future. Like all Real messages it is not written in time,
      but reveals itself within it. Yet without mindful light, we do
      not see it clearly. Essentially it manifests the sum of our
      willingness to be the creation. It is the manifesto of- Let
      There Be Light.

      Each morning, awake before you wake up. There is a light
      in you that does not sleep, return to that. Rest at peace,
      knowing that the day you want to be, shall be according to
      your love for its creation. Understand though, that a
      spiritual reality can take any form, so be ready to see any
      manifestation in this light. It is not a question of striving to
      be the light of the world, but accepting the light of you as its
      creation. We are responsible for what we see, so let us be
      responsible for the seen, knowing that they are talismans of
      our present consciousness.

      This day is an unbegun beginning of You. It is good to have
      a beginners mind, it is perfect to have an un-beginning
      mind. Such a mind is beyond beginning and ending, it is
      creation in the transmission of love. The action of no-action.
      For that which manifests is your creation in the light of
      what you allow of yourself to shine. Be willing to be this
      light, and there is nothing that will not be revealed to you
      this day. There is explicit truth and implicit Truth. Be that.

         A moment of awareness is the glance of God.
         Give yourself - what no eyes has seen,
         eat at the table that love sets.
         Before time, you are Yourself.
         Perfect abundance.

      Love

      eric.

      WINGED HEART

      For many of us the attacks two weeks ago were a bell of mindfulness, calling us to rethink our individual and collective commitments, an assessment of what we should have done, a reconfiguring of what types of actions make sense in this world. In a recent interview Thich Nhat Hanh was asked the question: What would you say to Osama Bin Laden? His reply is below.
      May all beings be well, happy, and peaceful.

      ***********************************

      JERRY KATZ

      Might want to check this out
      <http://www.earthways.org/currentevents.html>

      JERRY KATZ
      Mountains

      "From the beginning of time into present-day
      civilization--whether it's ethnic cleansing in
      Kosovo or in Sri Lanka--if there's been bloodshed,
      it's been into the name of God, and it's been in
      the name of a fragmented God, not a God of
      wholeness, not a God of nonduality." --Deepak
      Chopra

      I think we're stuck with a fragmented God because
      it is made in our image. I don't think there will
      ever be the God of nonduality, because it couldn't
      possibly last; it would consume itself in an
      instant. If it doesn't then it's another fragmented
      God.

      I don't know of any leader or nation that can
      handle this fragmentation, including the U.S. and
      the Taliban. Fragmentation and differences rise
      forth like mountains. I feel like I'm in a mountain
      climbing club led by a bunch of people that hate
      mountains.

      --
      http://nonduality.com
      http://nonduality.net