Tuesday, September 25

  • jerry@nonduality.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 26, 2001
      JERRY KATZ

      Shankar's translation of Upadesa Undiyar is on the
      web at <http://nonduality.com/shankar4.htm>

      All of Shankar's translations and notes, which
      first appeared on the I AM list, can be accessed
      through his home page at <http://nonduality.com/shankar.htm>

      I've changed the focus/description of the I AM
      list, as described:

      "Started in May, 1998, 'I Am' was the first
      nonduality email list to stand independent of any
      teacher or teaching. The quality of posting is high
      and the volume low. The list now serves mainly, but
      not solely, to feature the translations of Shankar
      which communicate the teachings of Ramana Maharshi.
      All should enter this list as though entering a
      Temple dedicated to Ramana."

      All are welcome to join the I AM list. Sign-up at
      <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/iam>

      BRUCE MORGEN

      NIMDA worm removal tool:

      http://www.zdnet.com/downloads/stories/info/0,10615,86396,00.html

      Also note the following story
      about another worm propagated
      as a "plea for peace":

      http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/stories/news/0,4586,5097375,00.html?chkpt=zdnnh
      092501

      ERIC ASHFORD

      The Indwelling Christ Is The House Of This Moment

      Allowing ourselves to feel Godness is a returning
      to simple awareness moment to moment. The gentle
      art of free-fall to the center again. Just as a
      tall grass sways by gusts of wind, yet easily
      pivots on the stem of its balance, so the soul
      returns to harmony. It is a remembrance of the
      equipoise of Christ mindfulness.

      It always rains from the inside out. The cyclone
      seen through the window of perception, is stirred
      in our own teacup. No matter, what manner of thing
      this stirring is, there is always an eye to this
      inner storm. See through that.

      There is a serene Buddha in the fireplace of
      emotion. He is as the sun, always there in darkness
      and light. Clouds do not cover him for he
      breathes-in all miasma, and exhales perfect
      radiance. He is the heart of ten thousand
      treasures, and the hearth of love.

      The fulcrum of self tips one way and another. It
      must flow to and from all opposites. This is the
      joy of Gods movement in us. We are the rivering of
      Her life in eternal change. Yet, just as a
      crossroads has a center, so does eternal Christ
      center himself in our flux. The ebb and flow have a
      meeting house in the heart of stillness. A deepness
      too deep to be agitated. This is called - Ocean of
      Abiding Peace. The Sacred Heart.

      Each moment there is rest in movement. Movement
      from rest. It is the indwelling of Jesus in any
      manger. The silent flower of the Buddha, that
      speaks beyond suffering and pleasure. Each moment
      is the restoration of Christs indwelling. In the
      historical manor of structured being, we live
      beyond time, and this is the rose in the cross.

      Man is always leaving and returning to the pearl of
      this understanding. Seeking admittance to the
      Mother of Pearl. The pearl never leaves the Ocean
      of Abiding Peace, hence, the prodigal son can move
      out and come in, through any worlds open door.

      Remembering that the world does nothing to you, the
      Beloved rolls up a thousand years. In the
      transcendence of eternal flight we leap to still
      greater being without leaving this moment. Unity
      opens any possible interval.

            This moment is the bud of time
            and the blossom of eternity.
            Give this present awakening,
            to this present love,
            and each moment shall be
            the promise of infinity.

      SARAH GREEN

      I just joined, wanted to say hello + thanks for being
      here!

      peace,
      Sarah

      TONY O'CLERY

      Daily Words of the Buddha
      September 25, 2001

      Blissful is passionlessness in the world,
      The overcoming of sensual desires;
      But the abolition of the conceit I am --
      That is truly the supreme bliss.

      Udana II, 1

      GARY MERRILL

      Here's a little something for the advanced beginners...............
      (anyone who things they don't need this, they are right, pass on by)

      Beginners mind doesn't know whats allowed;
      Beginners mind doesn't know what has to be repeated;
      Beginners mind doesn't know what satisfaction is;
      Beginners mind doesn't know about seeking;
      Beginners mind doesn't know what is missing;
      Beginners mind doesn't know what words to use;
      Beginners mind doesn't know about beginners mind;
      Beginners mind doesn't know about non-doing;
      Beginners mind doesn't know who he/she is;
      Beginners mind doesn't know there is a cause;
      Beginners mind doesn't know what the teachings are;
      Beginners mind doesn't know about the big bang;
      Beginners mind doesn't know about security;
      Beginners mind doesn't know there is something to learn;
      Beginners mind doesn't know there is a difference;
      Beginners mind doesn't know what needs modifying;
      Beginners mind doesn't know about mistakes;
      Beginners mind doesn't know about experience;
      Beginners mind doesn't know there is something to remember;
      Beginners mind doesn't know how it should be;
      Beginners mind doesn't know what anything means;

      Begin again, if you can?
      Gary

      MATTHEW FILES

      ..........beginners mind has nothing to do with
      knowing or not knowing about any particular thing.
      Beginners mind has to do with how these things are
      held, or related to. Beginners mind is about
      context not content. I would say that beginners
      mind can know all of the above but is not
      identified with any of the knowing. ........matthew

      J. MARKEL

      Another Reb Nachman of Breslov story

      THE TURKEY PRINCE

      A royal prince once became mad
      and thought that he was a turkey. He felt compelled
      to sit naked under the table, pecking at bones and
      pieces of bread like a turkey. The royal physicians
      all gave up hope of ever curing him of this
      madness, and the king suffered tremendous grief.

      A sage then came and said, "I will undertake to
      cure him."

      The sage undressed and sat naked under the table
      next to the prince, picking crumbs and bones.

      "Who are you?" asked the prince. "What are you
      doing here?"

      "And you?" replied the sage. "What are you doing
      here?"

      "I am a turkey," said the prince.

      "I am also a turkey," answered the sage.

      They sat together like this for some time, until
      they became good friends. One day, the sage
      signalled the king's servants to throw him shirts.
      He said to the prince, "What makes you think that a
      turkey can't wear a shirt? You can wear a shirt and
      still be a turkey." With that, the two of them put
      on shirts.

      After a while, he signalled them again, and they
      threw him a pair of pants. Just as before, he said,
      "What makes you think that you can't be a turkey if
      you wear pants?"

      The sage continued in this manner until they were
      both completely dressed. Then he signalled again,
      and they were given regular food from the table.
      Again the sage said, "What makes you think that you
      will stop being a turkey if you eat good food? You
      can eat whatever you want and still be a turkey!"
      They both ate the food. Finally, the sage said,
      "What makes you think a turkey must sit under the
      table? Even a turkey can sit at the table." The
      sage continued in this manner until the prince was
      completely cured.

      DAVID HODGES

      [An excerpt from The Onion - an extraordinary
      issue...don't miss it at http://www.theonion.com]

      NEW YORK—Responding to recent events on Earth, God,
      the omniscient creator-deity worshipped by billions
      of followers of various faiths for more than 6,000
      years, angrily clarified His longtime stance
      against humans killing each other Monday.

      "Look, I don't know, maybe I haven't made myself
      completely clear, so for the record, here it is
      again," said the Lord, His divine face betraying
      visible emotion during a press conference near the
      site of the fallen Twin Towers. "Somehow, people
      keep coming up with the idea that I want them to
      kill their neighbor. Well, I don't. And to be
      honest, I'm really getting sick and tired of it.
      Get it straight. Not only do I not want anybody to
      kill anyone, but I specifically commanded you not
      to, in really simple terms that anybody ought to be
      able to understand." [Read the rest at
      http://www.theonion.com]

      --
      http://nonduality.com