Sunday, September 23

  • jerry@nonduality.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 24, 2001
      GARY MERRILL

      Beginners mind doesn't know about enlightenment;
      Beginners mind doesn't know about truth;
      Beginners mind doesn't know about Americans, Palestinians, Jews, Hindus;
      Beginners mind doesn't know about evil;
      Beginners mind doesn't know what is right;
      Beginners mind doesn't know the answer;
      Beginners mind doesn't know there is a leader to follow;
      Beginners mind doesn't know that he/she should be like someone else;
      Beginners mind doesn't know about birth and death;
      Beginners mind doesn't know how serious it is;
      Beginners mind doesn't know the problem let alone the solution;
      Beginners mind doesn't know about duality and non-duality;
      Beginners mind doesn't know there is something to practise;
      Beginners mind doesn't know how to behave;
      Beginners mind doesn't know there is an enemy;
      Beginners mind doesn't know there is something to fear;
      Beginners mind doesn't know there is a lack of love;
      Beginners mind doesn't know there is something to get or lose;
      Beginners mind doesn't know about the past;
      Beginners mind doesn't know about controlling everything;
      Beginners mind doesn't know there's something wrong;
      Beginners mind doesn't know

      Begin again.
      Gary.

      ERIC ASHFORD

      Meditation is a personal looking for being. The
      personnel we bring to the search, begin by
      ransacking their own pockets, then making false
      accusations of theft of identity.

      Preliminary investigations are as a seance between
      several controversial ghosts we bring together for
      dispute over ownership of a space none can inherit.
      Once we have cleared the protesters, and
      malcontents from the floor, the real inquest can
      begin.

      The house of meditation is itself is a haunting,
      but every window opened, can make it an ashram for
      contemplation of our real estate. Please ignore all
      lights and phenomenal occurrences in that placeless
      domain. They are merely residual discharges of an
      internal weather pattern we have removed ourselves
      from.

      What we have hidden, the heart will reveal. We can
      dress the naked, but we cannot add to nakedness.
      Wellness cannot be ill, only the building can fall
      sick. Find a room beyond dis-ease, and conduct an
      experiment with the parts. The result will be the
      sum of the question - there are no parts.

      The privacy of God is no secret, any room we make
      for our inquiry is an information bureau. Private
      information informs without detail, being a window
      to wholeness. Making space, we become the
      spaciousness of knowing.

      What happens next does not happen at all. As we
      fall off the edge of the world, we cannot even
      congratulate ourselves. If we can, we are still
      hanging on to a part somewhere.

      Investigation is not meditation. Meditation is not
      meditation unless the one who inquires ceases the
      search for the being who searches. The smile of the
      Buddha is the grin of a Cheshire cat. God loves
      Herself in you, and this is all that you need to
      take back to the world.

      Where have you been
      that you have returned?
      Into what evil did you fall,
      and what remains of God?
      Who was it that forgot?
      Who remembered?
      When the One became two-
      nothing changed.
      All is well.

      Love (with apologies to Dire Straits)

      eric.

      MICHAEL READ

      Awakening - interesting word. A dictionary
      definition is 3. a revival of interest or
      attention.

      Perhaps it is the dropping of one's preoccupation
      with one's misery.

      Why? That is the question more than any other. Why
      - has been the motivation for me to seek. I
      remember in school hearing scientific explanations
      for many things. But, no teacher could answer the
      question of why.

      Take the simple things. The color of the sky is
      blue. Why? Because the air molecules absorb all
      light spectra except blue. So, blue is reflected
      back and we see it. But, why blue? Why does this
      happen this way? heeheehee Just because it does?
      Basically - yes.

      The scientific explanation covers only the apparent
      phenomena. That is all science can do. We can
      discover so much with science. There is a point
      where science fails to explain anything.

      And that is again - why? No, not why does science
      only go so far.

      Fundamentally - why does anything exist at all?!

      Just because it does - that is acceptance.

      The first time I got an answer to my little
      question was at the age of fifteen. The answer was
      music. I did not hear this music with my ears. No,
      I heard it with my entire body! And I knew then
      that I was being played - by the universe. And it
      felt good.

      I knew from an early age that I was different than
      most folk I knew. It wasn't the fact that we are
      all unique - it was something more than that. I
      could see that we were all reactive. We did one
      thing while saying another. No one had any control
      and folk believed some many different things!

      In this regard I was no different - the difference
      was that I could see it happening.

      I could see that I was more open than most folk.
      That was and still is the major difference. It
      doesn't make me better - not at all. No one is
      better than anyone else.

      I remember clearly so many things from my
      childhood, youth, and young adulthood. Back in the
      sixth grade (social studies class) (early sixties)
      Mr. H. our sociology teacher was telling us about
      propaganda. Mr. H. made it out that propaganda was
      a pack of lies being passed off as the truth. He
      told us of how Russia used propaganda to teach the
      Russian children whatever lies would keep them in
      line. He went on about this for nearly five minutes
      - maybe more.

      Well, something clicked inside my pointed little
      head and I put my hand in the air.

      "Mr. H.", I asked, "since we are all just kids here
      and have no experience of the world, how do we know
      that what you are telling us is true?"

      He didn't like that question at all! But, I could
      see that some of the other kids were nodding their
      heads in agreement.

      This is the approach I took to awakening. So many
      words have been written and spoken about awakening.
      A lot of them tend to contradict each other or at
      best only describe a small viewpoint - and a seeker
      can easily become befuddled and confused.

      A person has to find out for himself/herself. And
      it is tricky!

      Now, I am awake. And the key for my awakening was
      the gift of being open and intuitive.

      Somewhere along the line (of my life) intuition
      demanded that I not become as the saying goes - set
      in my ways. I could see that adults who were 'set'
      had a hard if not impossible time of learning
      anything new. Not only that, they could become
      violent over the most absurd things! I still
      remember two 'grown-ups' nearly coming to blows
      over which make of car was better - Chevy or Ford!
      Sure it sounds ridiculous now, but then it was a
      real eye opener for me.

      Today I see that people are more interested in
      protecting their belief systems that in taking good
      care of one another. Religion, politics, economics,
      and so on are all ways of doing and being and
      trying to make some sense of of this vast universe
      that will go on whether there are human beings or
      not.

      For the life of me I can't see any reason to murder
      each other over anything.

      Murder, neglect, abuse - all are rampant on this
      planet. And what can be done about it? Is it
      evolution in action? Will the meek truly inherit
      this good good earth? Does that mean that a lot of
      humanity (aggressive people) must die and leave the
      meek gentle ones to eke out a living as best they
      can?

      Or, will the meek rise up and refuse to murder?
      Will they voice their gentleness in no uncertain
      terms thus shaming those with violent tendencies
      into re-evaluating their actions?

      Who can tell?

      I know that this human species is special. We have
      unlimited possibilities, talents and gifts. Until
      we learn to open up we will do - what? - what we
      have done all through our brief brief history. We
      will murder and hate and oppress and neglect and
      destroy.

      All because we haven't learned to open up and just
      live!

      During the process of awakening I was shown that
      there is no 'ultimate purpose' to life. There is no
      God who is weighing the relative goodness of souls
      so some can be burned in eternal fire and some can
      be rewarded with eternal bliss. That is a childish
      fantasy.

      There is pain and there is pleasure. No doubt about
      that! Either one could be described as a form of
      bondage - so what?!

      We are all slaves to life - no exceptions. Life is
      to be lived and that is the meaning and purpose of
      life.

      So what to do - what to do?

      Do anything - do nothing!

      Wake up! Take an interest in life! Be open!

      Of course these are only suggestions - I cannot
      force anyone to 'wake-up'.

      What I can do is to be open - cherish life - let
      people work it out for themselves.

      Tickle their funny bone from time to time - it
      helps!

      Sometimes grab folk by the elbows and lead them
      away from the fights they are trying to start - and
      whisper loving words in their ears.

      I know this - without a doubt - without a
      reservation - without hesitation - it is good to be
      alive! Even when it hurts!

      -----

      I stumble drunkenly from door to door
      Pounding on windows
      And yelling - there is too much love!
      It can't all be just for me!
      Come and share!
      There is plenty!

      Michael

      HARSHA

      This relates to the visit of Professor Thomas, a
      Sanskrit professor at University of Oxford -
      December 26, 1937. I have selected certain portions
      of his conversation with Sri Ramana.

      Professor: Love postulates duality. How can Self be
      the object of love.

      Sri Ramana: Love is not different than Self. Love
      of an object is of an inferior order and cannot
      endure. Whereas the Self is Love, in other words,
      God is Love.

      Professor: Does Sri Bhagavan advocate Advaita.

      Sri Ramana: Dvaita and Advaita are relative terms.
      They are based on the sense of duality. The Self is
      as it is. There is neither Advaita nor Dvaita. I AM
      THAT I AM. Simple Being is Self.

      Later, at another point in the conversation Ramana
      Maharshi commented on the use of the term
      Sat-Chit-Ananda (Jody would like this).

      Sat denotes being beyond sat and asat.
      Chit beyond chit and achit.
      Ananda beyond bliss and non-bliss.

      --From the "Talks with Sri Ramana Maharshi"

      JERRY

      yeah, i'm enjoying your letters too michael. back
      in the fifties the nonduality salon website had a
      'chevy men click here' and a 'ford men click here'
      button. Remember that, oldtimers? We had a
      'nonduality for housewives' section. Wonder bread
      was like, wow, really healthy. Nonduality Salon
      lunch boxes were all the rage. And there was
      nothing like giving your girl an NDS pin shaped
      like the logo. It practically guaranteed you'd get
      to second base!

      still trying to get to first base,

      jerry

      --