Wednesday, September 19

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 20, 2001
      HARSHA

      One of my former students was on flight 11 from
      Boston that crashed into the WTC. It was heart
      breaking for me to console her mom not too many
      days ago at a vigil we held at my college. I have
      written about them in a special message on my
      website.

      http://www.harshasatsangh.com

      DAN:
      People say all kinds of things.
      But the truth is, there is no way to say that it is
      real, or that it is illusion.

      JODY:
      Yes, and either way, whether we call it real or
      unreal, the pain will continue to be felt until it
      is not felt.

      JAN:
      First of all you guys must never have been in deep
      meditation or deep sleep, otherwise you would know
      creation is unreal.

      Anyone who has been "in" samadhi will know it's
      unreal too - because you come "out" of it. So deep
      sleep and meditation are unreal too. Who cares?

      TONY:
      Also there is a point in detachment where one can
      rise above the pain in a Holy Indifference. That is
      compassion but no emotion, as per the WTC bombing
      etc

      JAN:
      Detachment and attachment are but 2 sides of 1
      coin. Hence what matters is the destruction of the
      potential for both - which isn't the same as
      indifference. This potential destroyed, pain and
      pleasure do not pertain to the mind-body anymore -
      that is called "happy" or "free" - a "state"
      inapprehensible as the "usual" modes of thinking
      are gone as is all feeling. This potential isn't
      destroyed at once, it's a gradual process, an early
      effect being the destruction of the potential to
      enter and leave samadhi - also called "natural"
      samadhi or "natural state". From apperception to
      "there" is a long road of no distance...

      NINA

      Hey, valkery, sweet welcomes and stick around.
      You're lovely.

      Have you ever read Thomas Pynchon's novel V.? Just
      curious... hard to feel fellowship when there are
      gators in the sewers and secret mail societies, I
      suppose.

      Speaking of being out of touch, here's a little
      twist on it from a book the husband is reading, My
      Story as Told by Water (David James Duncan... same
      guy who wrote A River Runs Through It). Within this
      book exists a discussion of what it means to be a
      native vs. stocker human. (Think of fish, as in:
      native trout and stocker trout.) The realization is
      that, beyond some exceptional individuals and
      indigenous cultures still living entirely within a
      symbiotic exchange with their environment, we are
      all stocker humans.

      What does it take to be native? Perhaps a balance
      of "force" would play into this... and not just in
      a human relational sense.

      (Small funny: I was once compared to a stocker
      trout in a job interview by my prospective employer
      and "native (trout)" Western North Carolinian.
      Looking back on that, I laugh, thinking about how
      displaced we all are within our environments...
      another layer of not functioning with our
      "bodies"... how to extend that "inner looking" to
      the "outer body"?)

      (Even larger funny: The telethon hobbes blathered
      about has been announced. 9-11 on Friday. ABC, NBC,
      CBS, and Fox. Cameron Diaz and Tom Cruise... and
      Bruce Springsteen. My bet is that someone sings
      Born in the USA. Oh golly Moses!)

      have a great day, all,
      Nina

      GLORIA LEE

      I GOT KIN

      Plant
      So that your own heart
      Will grow.

      Love So
      God will think,

      “Ahhhhh,
      I got kin in that body!
      I should start
      inviting that soul over
      For coffee and Rolls.”

      Sing
      Because this is a food
      Our starving world
      Needs.

      Laugh
      Because that is the purest
      Sound.

      (“The Gift” – versions of Hafiz by Daniel Ladinsky)

      JB

      The subject 'stop terrorism' is very intersting.
      But seriously, the situation is actual, and we, as
      most of the 'consciousness & Nirvana' oriented
      people, though perhaps very insightful, we just
      exchange views behind closed doors.. the doors of
      the club of our choice. So, though we might not
      contribute to the mess, what's the value of that,
      in terms of waking up even a bit of the rest of
      humanity.. ?! Just about, nill value,..it seems to
      me, unfortunately. So, what do you say ?.. Shall we
      keep on talking ?..

      --------------------------------

      SARLO

      yes, surely let's keep on talking. This does not
      happen behind closed doors in any case: "They" are
      listening. And furthermore the talk and sharing,
      even if just amongst us, produces effects: some
      insight into our personal madness/unconsciousness
      arises, a silence arises and then the ripple
      effect....

      We relate with our families and others, we relate
      via other lists and privately....

      I hope you'll forgive me if this seems like
      partisanship: my second Osho quote/discourse in
      just a few days. This time only a link will be
      supplied.
      http://www.otoons.de/L2/terror/terrorism.htm .

      XAN

      "Just as rain breaks through an ill-thatched house,
      so passion penetrates an undeveloped mind."
      --Dhammapada 13

      "uh, um hmmm... this is good - i'm needing some
      constructive suggestions here on how to develop the
      mind such!"

      -----------------------

      ~ Here's a suggestion: Keep your awareness focused
      in the present moment. Paying attention to your
      breath is a good way to do it. Try it now -- Just
      notice your inhale and exhale for three full
      breaths. Then notice how you feel. Now for 5 full
      breaths. Keep extending it.

      You can practice this while chopping wood and
      carrying water. And while witnessing your sci-fi
      mind. Even while witnessing your passions from the
      sanctity of your conscious breathing.
      --Xan

      Detachment does not mean anesthesia.... it means you no longer
      identify with, yet are aware of, the body, emotions,
      your grand ideas.
      --Xan