Saturday, September 15

  • umbada@ns.sympatico.ca
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 16, 2001
      SU GANDOLF

      The list of unaccounted for coworkers of mine has
      stabilized at four. They are David, Courtney,
      Melissa and Karen. I will be attending a memorial
      service for my dear colleague David next Saturday.
      He leaves a wife, a daughter and twin sons. David
      called his wife Tuesday from his cell phone after
      the second tower (ours) had been hit, saying he was
      trapped on the 83rd floor. He said he was with two
      women; we presume one was Karen and don't know who
      the second one was. Melissa was with the people who
      got out of the building as they came down the
      stairs; we do not know why she didn't make it out.
      Nobody had seen Courtney that morning; he may have
      been on his way in to work...

      Thank you for your thoughts and prayers. Thanks,
      Greg.

      JERRY KATZ

      "Realization of the Self is the greatest help that
      can be rendered to humanity. Therefore, the saints
      are said to be helpful, though they remain in
      forests. The help is imperceptible but it is still
      there. A saint helps the whole of mankind, unknown
      to them."
      --Sri Ramana Maharshi

      The Saint is doing 'the work that is in front of
      him or her'. So are the people of New York and the
      world leaders. So are the terrorists. Doing the
      work in front of 'you' is playing one's role in the
      world dream and it is the support and creation of
      the world dream.

      Self-enquiry can be the work in front of a person.
      Not religious ritual or duty to God, but
      self-enquiry. Eventually self-enquiry becomes no
      work at all, but while it is the work in front of a
      person, everything else is a light involvement
      (although still passionate and challenging).

      When self-enquiry becomes straight abidance, that
      is, no work at all, then there isn't even
      involvement. Things appear to be happening and
      getting done. And what world dream? Then one can
      even breathe underwater and there is understanding
      of life and death, then 'blink' and the holodeck
      that stages the world dream is a gone nothing on
      the thunder deck.

      ------------------------

      Within religious and ethnic groups there's already
      in-fighting and hatred. I even know a guy who has
      divisions within himself, inner turmoil. Have you
      ever heard of such a ridiculous thing?

      GARY MERRILL

      WISDOM OF INSECURITY

      Is our search just a search for security? An answer
      in which to take refuge.

      Is there such a thing as security at all? If not
      then we are constantly building castles in the
      sand.

      This attempt at security seems a common thread
      through the culture of the world - national
      security, religious security, family security. Also
      personal security, whether that be called 'being
      rich' or 'being enlightened' makes little
      difference, always being something and the activity
      to protect that something.

      But the price of seeking security seems to be ever
      increasing insecurity as nation is divided against
      nation, group against group, individual against
      indivdual. Enlightened against unenlightened :-).

      So to be simple, what is the actual case now, the
      truth now? Is there any security now appart from
      what the mind invents? If the mind ceases to take
      refuge in anything then surely it is facing life
      just as it is, in truth. Then the illusion and trap
      of security starts to become apparent, that any
      security must be limited, impermanent. The mind
      then may give security its place, in building a
      home for example, without closing the mind.

      The 'self' can be seen as the attempt to be and to
      become and the selfless state our birthright once
      freedom is accepted.

      Is this just too much to ask of an individual,
      faced as one is with all the violence and fear in
      the world? I can only wonder what other choice
      there is.

      Gary (with due respect to pioneers AW Watts and J
      Krishnamurti)

      XAN

      Is there any security now apart from what the mind
      invents? If the mind ceases to take refuge in
      anything then surely it is facing life just as it
      is, in truth. Then the illusion and trap of
      security starts to become apparent, that any
      security must be limited, impermanent.

      ~ As I see it, all the 'negative emotions' -- fear,
      hatred, anger, abandonment -- arise from the
      helplessness inherent in having forgotten the truth
      of ourselves. And humans tend to avoid the sense of
      helplessness at all cost, hence the search for
      'security' anywhere they hope to find it in the
      appearances of this world.

      There is only one place of safety.... in the simple
      truth of essence, Self, truth, beingness.

      BRUCE MORGEN

      The search for psychological
      security, for an eternal and
      invulnerable "me," is the
      very source of violence.

      ERIC

      I am a little surprised at so many following
      (lemmings???) the company line here on retaliation.

      Aside from the fact the america has been despised
      for many years, for amongst other things, it's own
      terrorism, american's in general remain extremely
      blissfully unaware.

      I spent some time this week on the local university
      campuses, here in the midwest, and was surprised at
      how independently younger folks are taking this
      news, in more than a few circles.

      __ __ __ __>

      some reoccurring opinions overheard : "what if it
      is some much lesser known, and much more capable,
      and very well connected *group*?"

      "did america not start this, anyway?"

      "how does retaliation, and responding as america
      traditionally does to these situations, offer us
      any more safety?"

      __ __ __ __<

      The non-dual understanding available is not to
      respond to 'what ever' from an emotional level:
      i.e.: an eye for an eye; but of *hearing* these
      *events* in full context.

      War is a very nasty thing, economic and otherwise,
      folks.

      KHEYALA

      The intensity that gives rise to craziness and
      violence......what is it?

      The intensity that gives rise to craziness and
      violence in me......how is it different from that
      in the Taliban?

      I have feared this intensity and have resisted it
      by trying to avoid it outside of myself and control
      it inside of myself with all of my might. And even
      if I have had relative success in avoiding it or
      suppressing it for the moment (at the price of
      loads of life-energy and love) it comes back sudden
      and furious when I least expect it. How is this
      different from the military methods of security and
      the terrorist attacks?

      The helpless lack of control and the inability to
      avoid this intensity increases the resistance to
      it, and in doing so, increases the craziness and
      violence.

      What is the solution?

      A solution would be needed if there indeed was a
      problem. I guess am calling "craziness and
      violence" the problem. But really, they are not the
      problem. They are the result. They are the result
      of the resistance to the intensity. If there is no
      resistance to the intensity, then what?

      If there is no resistance, then there is no
      craziness and no violence.

      There is just the intensity. There is just the
      fire. The fury and power and purity of the fire.

      I have no idea what would happen.

      GLORIA AND KHEYALA

      Dear Nina,

      Considering that in a very real sense, the "world"
      is your body, all this happening is your own self.
      In any case, there is no difference, as there is no
      separation of you from the world. As a very
      personal relationship, this cannot be overstated.

      Love, Gloria

      Dear Gloria,

      Your letter pretty much incapacitated my body and
      mind and I found myself just staring at the screen
      here. Then I started writing. I just sent a letter
      called, "Thoughts on Violence." Thank you for your
      powerful reminder.

      Love, Kheyala

      MICHAEL READ

      PAIN

      Why does it hurt?

      So that we may learn compassion.

      Why must we learn compassion?

      To give life meaning.

      Does life have a meaning?

      Yes and no.

      Yes, because?

      To know meaning is to participate in the
      magnificence of existance.

      No, because?

      Everything arises and fades away in the
      magnificence of existance.

      Is knowing meaning the cause of pain?

      No. Knowing meaning is the way we experience and
      understand pain.

      What about love and hate? Where do they fit in?

      They are expressions of the magnificence of life.
      As emotions they aid us in defining and identifying
      what causes us pain. They also help us into a state
      of mind/emotional awarenss that helps us to avoid
      what we find painful or helps us to overcome that
      pain.

      Again, it goes back to learning compassion.

      What about spirit/path/religion/god and that sort
      of approach to life?

      Pain is the prime motivator here, also.

      What can we do about pain?

      First, accept it when it happens. Second, don't
      whine about it when it happens to you. Third, see
      through it. It will end in time. Fourth, don't try
      to replace it with pleasure. Fifth, do not blame
      anyone for the pain - not even yourself. Sixth, do
      what you can to stop it.

      BRUCE MORGEN

      If you prepend the phrase
      "Sh'ma Yisroel," which means