Highlights, August 15

  • Bruce Morgen
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 16, 1999

      In India, the homeless are in much
      worse shape than here. Mother Theresa
      did a lot of work with there with the
      poor and the homeless as all know.
      Sadhus who are well known or are heads
      of organizations or part of
      organizations are of course different
      and live comfortably. Other well known
      holy men never lack for food and shelter.
      Ramana Maharshi had a difficult time
      initially and his body suffered much as
      he was not much interested in seeking
      food and was usually in Samadhi. Others
      had to feed him. After some time, when he
      started begging for food in the streets,
      the householders would be waiting for him
      hoping to be picked. The Sage tried to
      pick a different house each time from
      which to eat and in later years
      remembered those days with great
      affection and fondness.
      _______________________________________

      Harsha also forwarded this item from
      Frank "Egodust" Maiello":

      hariH OM!

      the only way to arrive at the pure NOW
      is either by stopping thoughts or
      effectively ignoring them.
      the latter is moksha.

      when this happens, we see, hear and feel
      with a richness and clarity that has no
      parallel in the world of Mind.
      simply because Mind, by nature,
      functions through limits and comparisons.
      whereas the pure NOW (field of brahman)
      functions wholistically, where each NOW
      (the *eternal* NOW)
      is a perfect hologram of brahman--regardless
      if it includes the saguna outbreath of maya.

      being in the pure NOW is where we *are*, in
      truth, each and every now. :-) we *are* the
      continuum of NOW itself.

      NOW always was, is, and always will be NOW.

      What everyone *seems to* struggle with, is an
      innocently mis-perceived overlay, caused by an
      unfathomable mistake called ego: Creator of
      Mind; Commander-in-Chief of all Illusions;
      Sustainer of all Misconceptions.

      namaste
      _______________________________________

      Frank's words inspired Jerry:

      The NOW sees the halting of the endless
      train known as thought.

      The stopping of the train, the halting of
      its pressure and noise, is an immediate
      relief, and one is energized by it. The
      world, then, takes on a completely
      different look, and the words used to
      describe it are sacred hobos on that
      extraordinary train.
      _______________________________________

      A personal journal passage shared
      by Tomas Diaz de Villegas:

      to see the source of conflict in anyone,
      in my own past experiences, in myself

      it is to look at the very fact of meaning
      itself

      when I write a letter to one of these
      people, sharing with them the conflict
      that I feel between I and them, and
      sharing my openness to the source of this
      conflict- without self-protection entering
      into it, then I am truly connecting with
      the heart of that person or that "problem"
      - I am establishing contact with the
      source of meaning that is right here and
      now.

      the source of meaning is not recognized as
      present becuase we hide the very real fears,
      problems, and dilemmas which crowd our
      consciousness, our awareness- we seem to
      ignore them or deny them becuse we are so
      desperate to solve the problems. We see that
      our state of mind is feeling crowded, we
      compare it with experiences we have had and
      find that we are not measuring up to the
      peacefull mind identity we hold so dear. In
      desparation we get involved with bouncing
      between critisizing ourselves and defending
      ourselves- between looking and protecting.

      When we stop resisting an open confrontation
      with our problems, dilemmas, worries,
      relationship issues, ..etc- when we give
      ourselves the time alone to just see the
      problems we have inside, when we look in the
      direction of our hearts, of our center of
      meaning, we will see the problems, the
      scenarios, the past, the issues, the questions
      and the despair- the self-protections and
      confusions as we keep open to them, refusing
      to shut down or close our eyes to our heart,
      we begin to find that all these things, all
      the problems, the worries, the frustrations,
      the people, all the world, all we know and
      feel as existing, in fact, is emerging out of
      the very substance of meaning

      all the parts, all little problems merge with
      each other, Other merges with I, separate
      suffering merges into One suffering, separate
      issues merge into One issue, separate fears
      into One fear, separate resistences into One
      resistence

      Absolutely all knowledge and feeling is seen
      as emergeing from the singular stream of
      meaning that is arising from the central source-
      that heart

      that heart, that central source, illuminates
      all- it provides the meaning of every word we
      use, of every object we crave and love, of
      everything we hold dear (be it a person, an idea,
      a teaching, a way of expressing things, an
      activity, a problem, a trauma, an injustice..
      etc), of everything we wish to avoid and reject,
      of every person, teaching, experience, problem,
      issue, doubt, fear..etc that we react against

      whether is is scientific meaning, religious
      meaning, philosophical meaning, psychological
      meaning, relationship meaning- however we choose
      to split up and compartmentalize meaning- it is
      all an expression and movement of this single
      stream of meaning emerging from the center like a
      sun that shines within- it is truly at the center
      of existence meaning is the solar wind emanating
      from this inner sun- the light that illuminates
      from eternity
      _______________________________________

      Jan's succinct statement on the nature of
      ego:

      A strange property of the "I" thought is, when it
      is gone, it is impossible to remember its former
      existence. Hence it is said it is an illusion.
      Another strange property is that knowing the
      aforementioned one doesn't take away this fear.
      It can't be taken away; it is inherent to the "I"
      thought.
      _______________________________________

      Melody waxes poetic over her pet,
      "Simba":

      I had one of those zen-like moments earlier
      today watching my cat.

      A wasp was in the house, struggling against
      a window pane....sometimes being still, sometimes
      struggling to fly.

      My cat sat very quietly with her nose only a
      couple of inches away from this wasp, and she
      did nothing but watch...

      She was not afraid of it, she did not try to
      attack it, or tease it, nor try to get it to
      fly away. She simply 'watched' the struggle of
      life.

      Being in the world but not of the world.