8/10/01

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 11, 2001
      ****************

      ==GENE POOLE==

      Subject: [NDS] My email is back... or is it? (Only his ISP knows!)

      NDS

      [To those who noticed my previous posting, my email is now
      (apparently) restored. If this gets through, that is. Even if it
      does, what does this bode, for Qwest as an ISP?]

      Doc: No, not Cranbrook. But just as provincial, no pun intended!

      One who advocated bringing NDS 'down to Earth': Levity is the
      opposite of gravity.

      Val: I am going to resend my reply to your reply to me, (which did
      not go through due to the email outage) as soon as I can find where
      on my several Gigabytes of HD space I filed it.

      Jerry: Thanks for keeping watch during the difficult times.

      Judi: 5N9CL5-0Xltup2379342TPiqw439tsu9djtrlsdud9sl;s is a BANNED
      WORD. NEVER say that here!

      GregG and Eric:  Thanks heaps for the pointers to Nagarjuna.

      Harsha: Thanks for your vote of confidence.

      Self: Nothing doing!

      Good to be back,

      ==Gene Poole==

      PS: Causality is not caused.

      JOHN METZGER

      Opinion       Nagarjuna

      "I was here before."
      "No, you weren't."
      "This will last forever."---
      Horizons of the past.

      "I will survive."
      "No, you won't."
      "This will end."---
      Horizons of the future.

      What happened in the past
      Is not happening any more.
      If you think what happened then became you now,
      What you grasp would be something else.
      What are you but what you grasp?

      If you are what you grasp,
      You would not be here.
      For what you grasp comes and goes;
      It cannot be you.
      How can the grasped be the grasper?

      You're not different from what happened then.
      If you were, you would not need a past.
      You could survive without having to die.
      The past would be severed, revocable.
      Others would experience your acts.
      Without a past you would be
      Either manufactured or uncaused.

      "I was here before."
      "No, you weren't."
      "I was and I wasn't."
      "You neither were nor weren't."
      "I will survive."
      "No, you won't."---

      Opinions are absurd.

      If the gods were us,
      We would be eternal;
      For the gods are unborn in eternity.
      Were we other than them,
      We would be ephemeral.
      Were we different,
      We would never connect.

      If I were half a god and half a man,
      I would be eternal and ephemeral.
      What can be ephemeral
      Without eternity?

      If this ends, what world would follow?
      If this never ends,
      What world would follow?
      Like the flame of a lamp
      The flow of matter and mind
      Neither ends nor never ends.

      This would end
      If mind and matter failed to flow
      From the dying of their past;
      It would never end
      If mind and matter failed to flow
      From a past that never died.

      If half this ended and half did not,
      I would both end and never end,
      Leaving half the grasper
      Dead and half undead,
      Half the grasper destroyed,
      Half undestroyed.

      Everything is empty---
      In whom? About what?
      Do opinions erupt?

      HOBBES "A Zen of Hand to Hand"

      From the teachings of the Sun Chi Tzu Watermethod Whole Self Defense System.

      Size is scale: Scale is ratio: Same dynamics of movement.

      Your weight and height is nothing more in the eyes of the master than 'you
      need more energy to move', 'you need more energy to stop movement' and the
      skill is in the 'laws of leverage and motion' not in emotional responses of
      fear, intimidation, and/or hatred of ones opponent(s).

      Like Physics. :o)

      Thus, do not fight a mountain... MOVE ONE.

      -- hobbes; 0,0,0,0:00.00 Nao

      SUSANNA GANDOLF on Music

      Another forward, askew vis-a-vis "topic"... even so:

      "Why do we care about singers? Wherein lies the power of songs? Maybe it
      derives from the sheer strangeness of there being singing in the world. The
      note, the scale, the chord; melodies, harmonies, arrangements; symphonies,
      ragas, Chinese operas, jazz, the blues: that such things should exist, that
      we should have discovered the magical intervals and distances that yield the
      poor cluster of notes, all within the span of a human hand, from which we
      can build our cathedrals of sounds, is as alchemical a mystery as
      mathematics, or wine, or love. Maybe the birds taught us. Maybe not. Maybe
      we are just creatures in search of exaltation. We don't have much of it. Our
      lives are not what we deserve; they are, let us agree, in many painful ways
      deficient. Song turns them into something else. Songs shows us a world
      that is worthy of our yearning, it shows our selves as they might be, if we
      were worthy of the world."

      from "The Ground Beneath Her Feet"
      by Salman Rushdie

      NEO

      It seems to me that we have one problem that results in all problems.
      This problem is identification with a particular body/thought/emotion
      complex.

      For example, Mary & Jennifer do not like each other. Both Mary &
      Jennifer are identifified as separate and distinct entities. They
      both consider the other separate and distinct from themselves. This
      allows the disharmony. It is like my right hand not liking my left
      hand. We have made a prison for ourselves by this partial
      identification.

      The solution is true forgiveness/love.

      neo

      LARRY

      Neo,
       There is no problem between my right hand and my left hand, nor is
      there a problem between Mary and Jennifer.  Just as thoughts don't
      think, so feelings don't feel. The thinker of thoughts is quiet and
      still and the feeler of feelings couldn't care less. Just as a doughnut
      factory isn't a doughnut, so the neo factory isn't neo.

      my 2 cents worth, Larry