Sunday, July 8

  • umbada@ns.sympatico.ca
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 9, 2001
      JERRY

      Replying to my own response, it's occurred to me that I've
      heard stories where sometimes in a group of people dropping
      acid, that there is one who is not affected by the
      experience. That odd one seems more interesting to me than
      the ones who have experiences. Anyone know if that phenomena
      has received much attention?

      TONY

      I think it is that the non experiencer is in many cases not
      aware of the experience, as consciousness goes out and
      returns periodically...ONS...Tony.

      JERRY

      it seems to me the lsd experience is given weirdness, depth
      and meaning as a function of the attention given to some
      aspect of the experiencer's inner or outer environment. i've
      only take acid twice...today. no just kidding, back in the
      old days. And I recall that during the experiences I felt
      free and joyful, and that if I focused on some thought or
      something in my environment that weird things would play out.
      Hallucinations would occur. But if I stayed in 'who I am' --
      and I don't mean that in the purely Ramanaic sense
      necessarily -- that I simply felt clear and joyful. But maybe
      I took low doses or something. I didn't find the experiences
      anything more or less than fun and very interesting. But then
      I find marijuana more annoying than anything else (ever since
      I freaked out on some of Dennis Hopper's dust-laced weed
      enroute to Taos in '71), so I'm not a very good voice for
      what's deep and wonderful in drug culture. No, the years have
      caught up with me. Weed and acid are not my bag, man. But
      step right up if you want to know something about prunes,
      rogaine, and saw palmetto.

      TONY

      Yes I'm at that stage also. However going back to the 60s and
      70s and psychotropics etc; I believe they really join up the
      conscious and the dream plane. It seems like in a day-dream
      one is conscious of one's surroundings and the next minute
      one is in a dream again.

      They also release and expand or magnify underlying memories,
      even unlocking past lives, which dreams do also. This can be
      very pleasant and even blissful but it can also result in a
      'bad trip', depending on the state of the mind at the time
      and its connections to past memories.

      I think it has a lot to do with molecules and protemones, and
      how they behave as well. It may even show how fluid the world
      is really, for the conscious mind as such really doesn't
      exist, it just a tool for interpreting the world around us
      and making it seem stable.

      I don't really think that it goes much further than
      interpreting the brain and its chemistry, and imprints. Not a
      spiritual experience, notwithstanding the Hopi, Maya
      etc.........ONS...Tony.

      GERY MERRILL

      Yes, I think the drug acts as an amplifier bringing to
      consciousness what is already there. So in a way one gets
      what one deserves ie a good or bad trip.

      To me the use of it isn't relevant anymore insofar as it
      becomes part of the general dualism in which the mind is
      ensnared ie the division between how one is and how ones
      shoud be. (In this case high :-)) So it's use beyond
      'initiation' is maybe not so desirable. In so far as one is
      'clear' it would only amplify the 'clearness' the
      selflessness that is there or otherwise.

      Maybe this accounts to some extent why certain people don't
      seem to have much of a reaction to it (though I have yet to
      actually meet one). I think of especially the story of Jack
      Kerouac (spelt right?) who was turned on by I think it was
      Leary and Ginsberg. One would have expected him to have
      realised that here was at last the means to the revolution!
      Instead it seemed to have little effect on him. Whether this
      was because he'd seen through the futility of all experience
      or whether he was just alcoholised (or both) we'll never
      know.

      One sees now 'sixties' people and they are something of an
      anachronism. I personally feel that many realised that no
      revolution was necessary and that there was nothing to drop
      out of or drop into and that anything else was the division
      of us and them. I Still love the music of that time though,
      very much.

      MICHAEL READ

      The other day I went into town to play some pool with a new
      friend of mine who is also named Michael. We went to the
      Alley Cantina where we me another new friend named Jason.

      Michael thought that Jason looked like Jerry Seinfeld so he
      started calling Jason Jerry. They both noticed that I look
      like Bill Murray so they started calling me Bill. Jerry
      (Jason) and I noticed that Michael looks like Jan Michael
      Vincent so we started calling him Jan.

      So. Jan got a little tipsy. Jan and Jerry were playing a game
      of eight-ball while I watched.

      At one point Jan asked Jerry the all important question,
      "What am I?"

      Jerry replied, "I don't know. What are you?"

      Jan said, "No, really, what am I?"

      "Really," Jerry said, "what are you?"

      Jan growled back, "Don't hand me that spiritual bullshit! Am
      I solid or stripes?!"

      I almost fell off my stool laughing!

      All the while the background music was 'Dust in the Wind' by
      Kansas.

      HAHAHAH and HOHOHO!

      Peace - it is good to be meat - Michael

      Haiku site:

      http://c-level.com/dubois/3/haiku.htm

      NOEL KETTERING

      To say "I'm not bound" or "I am That" is a technique for most
      of us...not our percieved reality.

      Do you mean "not our *habitually* perceived reality"?

      What we perceive as reality, *is* just a habit. And we can
      change it as easily as a habit.

      Are you still in the same 'bonds' as when you were ten years
      old? Who 'released' you?

      The bonds are like rubber bands, they stretch as far as you
      want to stretch them, but better yet, you can just stretch
      far enough to step out of them, and walk away, metaphorically
      speaking.

      If there is only One, then *You* are that One. If that is so,
      then all the power in the universe is at your command. You
      are using it to bind yourself now, is that what you want for
      the future?

      The path is simple. Decide what you want, and take steps
      toward that goal. Some goals are closer than others - but all
      goals are reached in this same way.

      JODY RADZIK

      The path is simple. Decide what you want, and take steps
      toward that goal. Some goals are closer than others - but all
      goals are reached in this same way.

      As quick as it becomes a "goal" is as quick as it falls out
      of reach.

      NOEL

      The semantics of enlightenment, are most amusing.

      The rajas guna is 'action'. This is Self-Consciousness. The
      One never moves, only observes, that's Super-Consciousness.

      Self-Consciousness never becomes Super-Consciousness, it
      always remains what it was before - although it changes in
      quality, as it comes to recognize the presence of
      Super-Consciousness.

      Before Enlightenment - chop wood, carry water. After
      Enlightenment - chop wood, carry water.

      Self-Consciousness still goes about moving toward goals, even
      when it has learned that goals are an illusion.

      Although an illusion, the warmth of the fire is such a
      pleasant illusion. Although an illusion, the dehydration of
      thirst is such an unpleasant illusion.

      The body never leaves the realm of illusion, the personality
      never leaves the realm of illusion, even spirit never leaves
      the realm of illusion. No illusion ever becomes real, it
      stays an illusion for the length of its illusory life.

      The difference, after enlightenment, is that One no longer
      strives for truth - it stops being a goal, because it is
      known to be unattainable, because it it KNOWN.

      The Difference, before enlightenment, is semantics.

      JODY

      But is It really observing? It is ever-present, but should
      that mean that It watches?

      All that is known to the Self is the Self. As the unfolding
      moment renders itself, It is only what It is, and only knows
      Itself as It is. Where does the observing happen?

      Always present, yes. Observing, not in my opinion.

      NOEL

      This description is the result of many, many generations of
      following the edict - "Know Thyself."

      Standing on the shoulders of those who came before, studying
      their thoughts from the words they left behind, seeking to
      penetrate that most refined stratum of awareness, and beyond,
      seekers in every generation have searched for the subtlest of
      desciptions - the last sight of Selfness, before the
      Absolute.

      Where, indeed, does the Self stop, where does the
      indescribable Absolute - that which is not a thing, the
      NO-THING - begin?

      Searchers have examined the interface between the Truth, and
      the Illusion - between perfect Unity, and Separation.
      Qaballah calls the highest Self 'Yekhdiah', and assigns it to
      Kether on the Tree of Life. But, beyond Yekhidah are the
      three veils of the absolute, the Ain Suph Aur - and beyond
      these, NOTHING.

      In the east, these are perhaps the Atman and the Brahman, and
      the subtle levels between them, the veils that separate them.
      I'm not an expert on Eastern terms, so perhaps it's
      Parabrahman or some other term that denotes the Absolute
      Unity that is beyond our dream of separation.

      But, in every generation, there are (among we Humans)
      explorers searching for the limits, beyond which Humans may
      not tread.

      And, from so many of these explorers, the description of that
      last thread of recognizable 'Self-ness', that description of
      the highest, most subtle, most sublime awareness - is the
      'Witness', the 'Observer, the 'All-Seeing Eye in the
      Triangle' of Masonry.

      Beyond this:

      Ain Sup Aur - the Limitless Light - Bhava Samadhi - Ananda

      Ain Sup - Limitless - Savikalpa Samadhi - Chit

      Ain - Nothing - Nirvakalpa Samadhi - Sat

      The Absolute - Nirvana - no description

      GILL EARDLEY

      From: http://murphy.monitor.hr/0001567/download/edition.htm

      The following are some of my favourites...

      Agnes Allen's Law
      Almost anything is easier to get into than out of.

      Approval Seeker's Law
      Those whose approval you seek the most give you the least.

      Atwoods Corollary
      No books are lost by lending except those you particularly wanted to
      keep.

      Berson's Corollary of Inverse Distances
      The farther away from the entrance that you have to park, the closer the

      space vacated by the car that pulls away as you walk up to the door.

      Cayo's Law
      The only things that start on time are those that you're late for.

      Chesterton's Observation
      I have seen the truth and it makes no sense.

      Churchill's Commentary on Man
      Man will occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of the time he
      will pick himself up and continue on as though nothing has happened.

      Colson's Law
      When you've got them by the balls, their hearts and minds will follow.

      Cosmetologist's Principle
      Whenever you need to stop at a light to put on makeup, every light will
      be green.

      Dave's Law of Advice
      Those with the best advice offer no advice.

      Dean Martin's Definition of Drunkenness
      You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on.

      Deitz's Law of Ego
      The fury engendered by the misspelling of a name in a column is in
      direct ratio to the obscurity of the mentionee.

      Denniston's Law
      Virtue is its own punishment.

      Dolly Parton's Principle
      The bigger they are, the harder it is to see your shoes.

      Ehre's Double-Door Law
      In approaching a double door, you will always go to the one
      door that is locked, pull when you should have pushed, and
      push when the sign says pull.

      Law of Entropy
      If you put a spoonful of wine in a barrel full of sewage you get sewage.

      If you put a spoonful of sewage into a barrel full of wine you still get

      sewage.

      Epstein's Law
      If you think the problem is bad now, just wait until we've solved it.

      Erhard's Contention
      Nothing matters very much, and few things matter at all.

      Ginsberg's Theorems (Generalized Laws of Thermodynamics or Ginsberg's
      Restatement of the Three Laws of Thermodynamics)
      You can't win.
      You can't break even.
      You can't even quit the game.

      Liebermann's Law
      Everybody lies; but it doesn't matter since nobody listens.

      McLean's Maxim
      There are only two problems with people. One is that they
      don't think. The other is that they do.

      Old Scottish Prayer
      O Lord, grant that we may always be right, for Thou knowest we
      will never change our minds.

      Therapist's Observation
      It's easy to criticize paranoid people, but if everybody hated you,
      you'd be paranoid too.