Thursday July 5th

  • andrew macnab
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 6, 2001
      Jan B;

      Non-perspectiveness, "where" love, beauty, caring etc. are concepts,
      no longer causes to respond.

      Susanna Gandolf;

      LSD and the billy goat guru

      I took a small dose of acid, once, in the German countryside with a group of
      University students there. I didn't experience a detectible effect, but the
      atmosphere itself was wide-open and full of possibility. We walked for ages
      (it seemed), and when we finally returned to the house and surrounding
      buildings, I encountered a goat. I took a very close up, slightly blurry
      photograph of his face, as he reared up at me from behind the old half-door
      to his quarters. For some time after, I had the feeling (especially after
      viewing the developed photograph), that there was a significance to this
      "meeting" that I could not place.
      I was left with almost no concrete memory of that night. But I wondered: Why
      did I not "get off" with the others?
      And why did it not matter to me?

      At 08:01 AM 7/5/01 -0700, Gene Poole wrote:
      >NDS
      >
      >Noel, you wrote:
      >
      >> From: "Noel Kettering" <noel@...>
      >>Subject: Re: Re: Judi wins
      >>
      >> > The Observer, the observation and
      >> > the observed must all be the same
      >> > One Thing - Awareness.
      >>
      >>The Observer is Super-Consciousness.
      >>The Observation is Self-Consciousness.
      >>The Observed is Sub-Consciousness.
      >>
      >>The Observer is Sattva Guna.
      >>The Observation is Rajas Guna.
      >>The Observed is Tamas Guna.
      >
      >Hey, thanks for this. Brilliant!
      >
      >I would like to know, if this is your own observation. Not that it
      >really matters, but your posting contains very valuable analogical
      >truths.
      >

      >Sincerely,
      >
      >==Gene Poole==

      Noel;

      Thank you Gene,

      I'm glad that you found something of value in the post.

      I'm sure that you have noticed the natural tendency to
      triplicity, that manifestation exhibits.

      I merely placed a few triplicities in the same message,
      and drew attention to the similarities between them.

      Analogical, yes - but truth? Only the implication of a
      probability of further similarities.

      Hi Gene and Noel,

      I like the first two stanzas as well. Interesting models. But the last
      one... In that stanza, the observer perhaps ought to be something other
      than the gunas. Sattva still a guna (albeit the most elevated, rarified,
      cooled-out guna). But as a guna, it can't itself be the observer of the
      gunas. In the Bhagavad Gita, e.g., where concepts of the observer and the
      gunas are explained pretty well, the observer is the Knower of the Field,
      whereas the gunas are everything that makes up the Field. And in that
      advaitic model, the Knower/Observer is never part of the field.

      --Greg

      Noel;

      Perhaps I should have written that,
      the Observer is *like* Sattva guna.
      Analogy is based upon similarities.

      But, Bhagavad Gita notwithstanding,
      Observer, Observing & Observed are
      only three modes of same One Thing.

      Awareness, Consciousness - Thought.
      The Observer has no reality, aside
      from Observation, or that Observed.

      Hi Noel,

      Hey, I like the way all your lines are justified to the right, all line up
      on the right. That's cool!

      The BG wouldn't disagree with this

      >Observer, Observing & Observed are
      >only three modes of same One Thing.

      And then this,
      >Awareness, Consciousness - Thought.
      >The Observer has no reality, aside
      >from Observation, or that Observed.

      Yes, the "Observer," even the One Thing are not things at all. All that,
      along with your nice triplets and this very message are effluvia, maybe
      poetry, maybe the singing of a bird or the falling of a leaf, or the
      transparency of awareness itself. The notion of the Observer often
      functions an expedient teaching to correct a misapprehension that some
      embodied thing is the observer, such as "this body" or "this mind."

      Enjoying your conversation here.

      Love,

      --Greg

      St. John of the Cross:

      _Song of the soul that rejoices in knowing God through faith._

      For I know well the spring that flows and runs,
      although it is night.

      1. That eternal spring is hidden,
      for I know well where it has its
      rise,
      although it is night.

      2. I do not know its origin, nor has it one,
      but I know that every origin has come from it,
      although it is night.

      3. I know that nothing else is so beautiful,
      and that the heavens and the earth drink there,
      although it is night.

      4. I know well that it is bottomless
      and no one is able to cross it,
      although it is night.

      5. Its clarity is never darkened,
      and I know that every light has
      come from it,
      although it is night.

      6. I know that its streams are so brimming
      they water the lands of hell, the heavens, and earth,
      although it is night.

      7. I know well the stream that flows from this spring
      is mighty in compass and power,
      although it is night.

      8. I know the stream proceeding from these two,
      that neither of them in fact precedes it,
      although it is night.

      9. This eternal spring is hidden
      in this living bread for our life's sake,
      although it is night.

      10. It is here calling out to creatures;
      and they satisfy their thirst, although in darkness,
      because it is night.

      11. This living spring that I long for,
      I see in this bread of life,
      although it is night.