Tuesday, July 3

  • umbada@ns.sympatico.ca
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 5, 2001
      ANDREW MACNAB

      This was in a file, I don't know where it's from, does anyone?
      What does the reference number "S XLIII.1-44" refer to?
      "The-very-hard-to-see." :)

      _33 names for nirvana(nibbana)_

      The unfashioned, the end,
      the effluent-less, the true, the beyond,
      the subtle, the very-hard-to-see,
      the ageless, permanence, the undecaying,
      the featureless, non-differentiation,
      peace, the deathless,
      the exquisite, bliss, solace,
      the exhaustion of craving,
      the wonderful, the marvelous,
      the secure, security,
      nibbana,
      the unafflicted, the passionless, the pure,
      release, non-attachment,
      the island, shelter, harbor, refuge,
      the ultimate.

      S XLIII.1-44

      NOEL KETTERING

      The words of the Buddha (from Samyutta 43 - Ven. Thanissaro's
      translation)

      " The unfashioned, the end, the effluent-less, the true, the
      beyond, the subtle, the very-hard-to-see, the ageless,
      permanence, the undecaying, the featureless, the
      undifferentiated, peace, the deathless, the exquisite, bliss,
      solace, the exhaustion of craving, the wonderful, the
      marvelous, the secure, security, Nibbana, the unafflicted,
      the passionless, the pure, release, non-attachment, the
      island, shelter, harbour, refuge, the ultimate."

      http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/modern/likefire/2-0.html

      JOYCE SHORT

      And also referring to 'vastness'- inner experience of the
      goal. (Thanissaro Bhikkhu)

      "Consciousness without feature, without end
      luminous and all around:
      Here water, earth, fire & wind have no footing.
      Here long & short
      coarse & fine
      fair & foul
      name and form
      are all brought to an end.
      With the stopping
      of all the activity of consciousness
      each is here brought to an end. D. 11

      "Consciousness without feature, without end, luminous all
      around, does not partake of the solidity of the earth, the
      liquidity of the water, the radiance of the fire, the
      windiness of wind, the divinity of the devas (and so on
      through a list of the various levels of godhead to) the
      allness of the All. M. 49

      "What is the All? Simply the eye & forms, nose & aromas,
      tongue & flavors, body & tactile sensations, intellectu and
      ideas. This monks, is termed the All. Anyone who would say,
      'Repudiating this All, I will describe another,' if quesioned
      on what exactly might be the grounds for his statement, would
      be unable to explain, and furthermore, would be put to grief.
      Why? Because it lies beyond range. S XXXV 23

      LARRY

      Andrew asked: "What does the reference number "S XLIII.1-44"
      refer to?"

      "S" probably refers to Samyutta Nikaya, the third collection
      of suttas in the pali tipitaka. There's a new translation out
      by Bhikku Bodhi, very good, 2 volumns, $100.

      ANDREW

      Thanks.
      I really like "the-very-hard-to-see"
      it shows that the buddha had a sense of humour.
      Of course he must have.
      Enlightenment is impossible without a sense of humour.
      Isn't it?

      MARK

      What I'm trying so awkwardly to say is that chemical
      initiation maybe the right or necessary starting point for
      those who are "naturals" as well as those who will settle for
      just a "taste". Perhaps this

      JOYCE

      Hah! Amongst many memories of such 'initiations', I recall
      standing in front of a mirror and watching body dissolve
      through many layers into cells and then into nothing at all.
      SHOCK! Also recall being very clear that "I" had invented
      myself and then the sickening thought that I wasn't supposed
      to 'know" that, had broken some kind of taboo or collective
      agreement. Laugh! So have spent my life figuring all that
      out.

      GRACIE

      I found this site, thought it was nice, cliped the link, and here it
      is. if you take a look may i suggest that you click on flash when
      you get there.Click Here: http://www.reata.org/flash.html

      BRUCE MORGEN

      http://www.actualfreedom.com.au/richard/listafcorrespondence/listaf12.htm

      Been there, done that. Once
      is one time too many -- the
      phrase "pompous pedant" says
      it pretty well imo.

      it does help, larry. taking your advice, i opened my computer
      case and found a chicken inside. i've reported this to
      symantec. meanwhile i've ordered a fresh chicken.

      jerry

      Hi Jerry,

      Please find a good home for the chicken and do not eat it.
      Eating it will clog your awareness sheath, which was the
      purpose of the virus in the first place. I know because I
      sent it, but I've repented recently. (actually, I didn't even
      know I'd pented in the first place, but here I am doing it
      again!)

      Love, Mark

      I scented,
      I sent it,