NonDuality digest

  • Melody
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 12, 1999
      Hi everyone,

      This is the digesting of postings from the
      nonduality salon for Wednesday, August 11, 1999

      Enjoy!

      Melody
      Gene had written:
      If we consider love and compassion to be agendas, we may also consider that
      those agendas of love and compassion can be held without condition

      JL responded:
      In theory, perhaps. But in practice, this would assume perfection.
      At some point, I find my love conditional; my compassion dependent.

      Gene:
      I take your point. Nonetheless, my point that love may be an agenda is an
      important one, in the context of my posting. Pushing any agenda will
      'cause' contraction of the other, and sharing is thus ended.

      JL:
      Understood. I would offer that it's rhetorically
      easy to straddle the chasm of theory and practice.
      Moreover, every word we speak is immured with some
      form of agenda. When we step back and look dispassionately,
      we find that we have never been "without condition" nor
      "formless."

      This said for balance, =GP=. One might view words
      such as "any" and "without condition" and "formless"
      as those of faith. Practice and faith -- like an engine
      and fuel. Both essential, yet running optimally only
      on the right balance.

      Also from JL:

      As an
      immune system can be strengthened first by identification of
      the foreign agenda, so we grow (hopefully) by encountering,
      identifying, and overcoming, piece by piece, that vast array
      of seed programming which leads to interpersonal disunity.

      From: Marcia Paul <jacpa@...>

      I feel it like this. I see it much like a salmon swimming
      upstream to get back to the source. If I give up the
      struggle and "go with the flow" I may feel good but I
      am circling in the eddies and currents of life. With the
      keeping of attention I can develop the will to get back
      home and spawn at which point I "die".

      Xan:
      Is this the same home we've been told
      that we never left? What part of us thinks
      it is somewhere else and that it takes
      effort to get there?

      We have been struggling for a very long
      time because we have forgotten our home
      is in this moment, within and all around us.

      Remembering Home
      happens when
      struggle ceases

      From: David
      Subject: The God Who Only Knows Four Words

      "The God Who Only Knows Four Words":

      Every

      Child

      Has known God,

      Not the God of names,

      Not the God of don�ts, Not the God who ever does

      Anything weird,

      But the God who only knows four words

      And keeps repeating them, saying:

      �Come dance with Me.�

      Come

      Dance.

      ( by Hafiz, the great Sufi Master, translated by Daniel Ladinsky)

      From: Xan
      Subject: Home

      You are the unchanging awareness
      in which all activity takes place.
      To deny this is to suffer,
      to know this is Freedom.

      Papaji

      From: "Petros"
      Subject: The Right Connection

      (from "In this Moment," an unpublished collection of satsang dialogues with
      Neelam.)

      13. THE RIGHT CONNECTION

      Q. My experience with teachers is that it's hard to stay tuned and
      connected with the glimpse of Reality that is given to me. Perhaps I need a
      better connection.

      N. Whatever you want, but I tell you that "connection" means trouble! You
      know something about this. One day it works, the next day it doesn't, yes?
      You don't want this constant trouble. So why not want what you are? Why
      not just that? This doesn't need anything. No maintenance necessary! So
      it's not a teacher you need, it's your Self that you need to discover,
      finally. Otherwise, there will always be something else outside of you that
      will require this whole shtick. Yes, so this is the only desire . . . for
      your Self. That will finish it all off. Simply the willingness to follow
      it wherever it takes you. For once do not be led by anything else.

      Petros offered:

      (from "In This Moment," unpublished collection of satsang dialogues with
      Neelam.)

      Q. I would like to rely on you to pull me out of ignorance. I feel you
      have the power of realization, which I don't have.

      N. It doesn't work like that. As long as there is a "you," then there is a
      "me," this is in fact the whole problem. So the truth is I can't do
      anything for you. The realization, as you call it, doesn't belong to
      anyone, you see. If it were "mine," then it would be a problem indeed! So
      why not just forget about that and look directly, right now, at this
      misconception of "you" and "me" and "someone" and "having" and "not having."
      Rather than expect another to give it to you, which is absolutely
      impossible, you can look into the very place where you believe that you
      don't have it. Asking for it is in itself not quiet, you see. That by
      itself takes you away from just purely recognizing the Presence that you are
      right now in this moment -- takes you away from seeing that nothing is
      needed for it. Not sustained by anybody, it is just purely what it is and
      it brings you back to your Self. There is no other way! What you see
      outside yourself turns out to be the reflection of your own light. That is
      why you are attracted to it in the first place. No need to be following any
      other game.

      more from "In This Moment":

      THE CHOICE IN BETWEEN

      Q. I feel very challenged, disturbed and angry by being here. I like it
      and I don't like it. One has to choose beween being here and not being
      here, I suppose.

      N. Actually, it is more of a concern for what lies in between. If there's
      an idea of choice, there are two or more things to choose from. What is
      important is the space in between the choices. So in this moment, there can
      be a choice or there can be just the space in between the choices, before
      thought arises, you see. First there is a thought and you follow it and you
      think it, yes? So, that "nothing" that comes before the thought.

      Q. It's quick.

      N. Don't worry about it. Even just looking makes you so happy, you see!

      Bruce:

      Articulation is overrated
      -- after all, politicians
      do it all the time. Who