Monday June 11th

  • andrew macnab
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 12 6:37 AM

      Yes UG is not enlightened. Which is the point and is the joke. As I
      recall 'his' book called The Mystique of Enlightenment (which is a
      compilation of conversations) UG said should have been called The
      Mistake of Enlightenment!

      My own personal view is that there is no 'Enlightenment' thing, that
      no one ever was enlightened, ever will be, or ever will need to be!
      So this joke sits very well with me, as it does with others who share
      this view. UG is our hero, the one who said it in plain terms. I dare
      say you won't share this view as the desire for enlightement seems to
      be about the last thing to go, supported by the idea that there are
      great people like UG who have something we don't. Still I've said it
      anyway and I could be completely wrong of course. Perhaps someone
      would like to come up with a case for 'Why we need to be enlightened'
      that should produce some stirring emails!!

      The UG stories verge on the ridiculous at times. Did you see the
      Monty Python film 'The Life of Brian'? Its a bit like that! The joke
      to me seems to be that Enlightenment is not Enlightenment and No
      Enlightenment is Enlightenment :-)Work that one out!!

      Love and best wishes,
      Gary

      Questioner: What is enlightenment?

      Jean Klein: The instantaneous insight that convinces you there is
      nothing and no one to enlighten.

      (Who am I; the Sacred Quest - Jean Klein- page 114)

      Love,
      James

      Michael Lovell:

      a quote from Nisargatatta Maharish that resonates here.

      "Enlightenment is when the connection between the Witness and the
      personality snaps."

      love all
      michael

      Yes I resonate strongly with that too. It was after a prolonged and focused
      spell of 'Witnessing' that I realised that the whole thing was only serving
      to perpetuate the very division that needed to be ended. After dropping it
      completely it became clear that there was no separate 'witnesser', no me and
      my personality. You could say that there is only personality, however
      personality as we generally know it is based on conflict, division between
      how we are and how we should be. So one could say total ego is no ego :-)
      and visa versa. I find this single mindedness liberating. (I use the word
      'I' carelessly of course).

      Love,
      Gary

      Dan:

      Intellectual guessing games
      are like stagnant pond scum seemingly
      covering Love's omnipresent vivid functioning
      (but "really" covering nothing) ...

      Here are the top ten reasons
      "why we need to be enlightened"

      1) Because it give us a reason to smile in the morning.
      2) Because it is better for self-esteem than being deluded.
      3) Because it's always good for a laugh at parties.
      4) Because knowing that I'm not yet enlightened
      is a good explanation for doing stupid things,
      and for persistent, nagging self-doubt.
      5) Because it allows people like U.G. and you
      to have something to rant about.
      6) Because it has a catchier sound than saying
      "I need to be endarkened."
      7) Because it gives a focus for an otherwise
      absurd existence.
      8) Because it gives absurdity to an otherwise
      mundane existence.
      9) Because it has a lofty, supernatural feeling
      that makes the imagination of poets
      and artists soar (or perhaps sore --
      if you consider many silly New Age
      paintings).
      10) Because being enlightened never gets old.

      With a knowing glint in my eye at all times,
      Dan

      10 ways to become enlightened. Any of the 10 will work. I'm sure there
      will be many more lists!!

      1. Eat only brown rice or clear soup.
      2. Sit no more than 17.5 ft. from an enlightened entity every
      day in satsang for a three 2-week retreats.
      3. Have no thoughts about enlightenment.
      4. Have no thoughts whose object is "I."
      5. Have no thoughts that proceed from an "I."
      6. Have no thoughts.
      7. Be told by an enlightened entity that you are enlightened.
      8. See that there is no such thing as enlightnment.
      9. See that there is no thing.
      10. Never use personal pronouns. Say "here," "there," "this form," "that
      radiance" instead.

      Love,

      --Greg

      We are now starting a Haiku contest given the incredible talent here. David
      Hodges once explained what a Haiku is and I vaguely remember.

      For purposes of simplicity we will call a poem having 3 lines a Haiku, (but
      to qualify, it has to be very deep or perceived as such).

      I will start first.

      If it itches
      and your finger reaches
      scratch it.

      Harsha

      ~~~~~~~~~~~~

      Jerry:

      23 tall skinny potatoes
      supersize that
      38 tall skinny potatoes

      Jan B:

      6 billion meatburgers
      with GM garlic onions and lettuce
      environmentally fried

      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

      My essay "Haiku and Empty Space" is here: http://www.outermost.com/haiku.html

      Here are some Haiku I have written during the past year or so:

      Sunlight on old brick wall:
      I am no good
      For anyone

      Rescuing me from myself