Thursday June 7, 2001

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 8, 2001

      ****************

      Snow and Ice

      Be like the snow and ice on the mountain.

      It does not concern itself with change

      At what moment does the ice

      yield to its desire to be water?

      Where does the crystal blue water

      turn into the muddy and raging river?

      At what point in time does the river

      merge into the bottomless sea?

      Who can say when brackish water

      arises into the infinite blue sky?

      How does the dark forboding cloud

      return itself to ice on the blue mountain?

      Water does not concern itself with change.

      Be as blue snow and white ice on the mountain.

      Be as water and you will understand

      what it means to be still and still running.

      mark christopher valentine

      Thanks for the beautiful poem, Marksan. Glo

      Let your actions be like clouds going by; the clouds going by are mindless. Let your stillness be as the valley spirit; the valley spirit is undying. When action accompanies stillness and stillness combines with action, then the duality of action and stillness no longer arises.
                          Pei-chien (1185-1246)

      Nonexperience - Anthony de mello

      from "One Minute Wisdom"

      At a discussion on the God experience, the Master said,
      "When God is experienced, the self disappears. So who will do the experiencing?"

      "Is the God experience, then, a nonexperience?"

      "It is like sleep," said the Master.
      "The sleep experience is only known when sleep is over."

      ________________________________
      Love makes the heart laugh.
      I wish you Love. [God is Love]
      CyberDervish
      ``````````````````````````````````````````````

      More posts on "Enlightenment an involuntary action"?

      Hi Jan,

            Your comment is from the perspective of 'you'.

            Involuntary action for whom - 'you', 'me'...?

           There is * no entity * in the cosmos!

         Love,
         James

      Hi James,

      And who/what makes you conclude that?
      º
      º      Involuntary action for whom - 'you', 'me'...?

      Thanks for the laugh - could it be there is a perspective where that question is irrelevant?
      º
      º     There is * no entity * in the cosmos!

      And how can you be absolutely sure the cosmos isn't an entity?
      Quotes and thoughts won't help :)
      Back to the labeling game? Like defining human mind-bodies as 'automatons' and applying that to 'whatever'? And substitute the term 'automatons' for the next scientific & engineering "breakthrough"? How "predictable"...

      Joy and Light,
      Jan

           The is no one to conclude. Action comes from the situation itself- life manifests - it is its own knowing.

          Obviously you are well aware that most folks identify with the
      manifestation and suffering - this does not deny the manifestation.

           The cosmos is not an entity-object because that would require a 'me'. There is no me and no other.

           You are correct that we could play the labeling game and turn in circles unless/until it is seen that the question is irrelevant.

            Isn't stating the question is irrelevant a statement of Truth
      that parallels: 'there is  * no entity * in the cosmos'. Both these
      statements point to freedom.

            Love,
            james

      Namaste, James!

      Quite so!

      As there is no entity in the cosmos,
         and as the cosmos is not an entity,
         and as the cosoms is not within an
         entity,

      there is neither voluntary nor involuntary
         action occurring in the cosmos.

      nor is the cosmos occurring voluntarily
          or involuntarily.

      Well-said!

      Dan

      kensan....it would be so lovely to sit in zazen with you....we are one in
      spirit....it would nice to be one as brothers.....tessahara is the buddhist monastery in the ventana wilderness where i sometimes practice....^^~~~~

      The Between Times,  A Pilgrimage
      (Tessahara)

      As wind that whispers through the valley
      Gently lifting the wings of birds in flight
      May he who goes before us all guide us
      May she who comes after each one of us
      pick us up when we stumble or falter.

      On our pilgrimage from this place to that
      we recall that our journey is from there is here.
      To go is the same as is to remain.
      to remain is the same as is to go.
      It is in our end that we discover
      that which we have sought from our beginning.

      It is in the between time which exists
      after the end of our last prayerful breath,
      but before the beginning of the next
      that our frail hearts first hear the whisper of love.

      May she who comes after each one of us
      pick us up when we stumble or falter.
      May he who goes before us all guide us
      as wind that whispers through the valley,
      gently lifting the wings of birds in flight.

      Mark Christopher Valentine

       "Awakening, cultivating altruistic mind" comes to me from Mahayana via Tibetan teachers. Whenever one is doing any practice at all, and this can be every moment, then one consciously 'gives away' the merit or spiritual force accumulated.  Motivation or intention is always examined, what are minds contents, positive, negative, dull whatever... which avoids allowing the clinging self from 'owning' anything, most especially the notion that 'I' am doing anything grand.  It is the transformational aspect of practice but works well for folks in any self-obsessing phase.  All of thought seems to arise out of emptiness or radiant mind. (If one can even find a 'mind' or a 'thought'). Seems a big peaceful nothing.

      I couldn't get the hang of 'merit'- but finally got the fact that there actually is a growing force, an accumulation of wisdom-energy, what to call it?...and the more you give it away, the more you 'have' until ultimately you have nothing at all except peace having completely given away "I", ultimate dana.  Before I had this first episode with energy, I was a do or die, enlightenment for 'me' person.  After, a clear realization came that 'I' wasn't going anywhere until we all went together.  Took years to understand this fully.

      Joyce Short from HarshaSatsangh

      Drilling the Artic

      Beloveds,

      I received the following reply from NDRC, an environmental group trying to
      organise, among other things, resistance to proposed American oil
      imperialism in Alaska. The message that Jerry posted (attached) contains
      information about this, but the NDRC website does not have facilities for
      non-US citizens to participate. Below is info for everyone who wants to
      voice their objections / have an input.

      Love, Sarlo

      Dear Sarlo,

      Thank you for contacting NRDC regarding your desire to take action to
      help save the Arctic Refuge despite the fact that you are not a US
      citizen.  Our BioGems website ( www.savebiogems.org/arctic ) is set up
      to send messages to Members of Congress regarding the Arctic Refuge, and
      our system sends emails based on your US address.  This is because
      Members of Congress generally take note of correspondence only from
      their own constituents.  However, if you would like to send
      correspondence to congress, you will find complete contact information
      in our Congressional Directory ( http://www.nrdcaction.org/congdir.html
      ).  As a non-US citizen, however, your voice is probably more powerfully
      used writing to the President.  I have included his contact information
      below.  Please feel free to cut and paste our draft letter into your own
      email program or to a word processor, and please feel free to alter the
      draft letter to explain why you find this issue so pressing regardless
      of your country of origin.  Thank you again for taking the time to write
      to NRDC, and thank you for taking action.

      Sincerely,
      Jessenia Hernandez
      NRDC BioGems Education

      President George W. Bush