NDS Digest for Sunday, 8/8/99

  • Bruce Morgen
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 10, 1999

      From Judi:

      ________________________________

      The prolific Gene Poole holds forth
      on sharing and "Dominator Culture":

      The difficulty of speaking of this, is
      that I must 'make it up as I go along'.
      I make no apologies, but ask that the
      reader understand that my use of terms
      is provisional, and that I frequently
      resort to metaphor. This may be somewhat
      mind-stretching for some... UFOs or not.

      I referred in the (my) quoted post to
      _sharing_ as a way of Being. I understand
      that sharing is the best word to use for
      this, because 'true sharing' is when
      _nobody is dominating_.

      Even though many of us crave the
      experience of intimate sharing-connection,
      we are stopped by the dominating or
      controlling behaviours of others. It is
      important to know, why this is so.

      Sharing requires _genuine_ vulnerability,
      but it may be more productive to say that
      sharing requires "complete openness". This
      requirement makes sharing a _voluntary_
      behaviour; it is important to realize that
      we are in control of our sharing. Realizing
      that, answers the above question, as to why
      dominating or controlling behaviours are (to
      say the least) inhibiting to sharing. In
      other words, the contraction that we
      experience in the presence of a controlling
      person, is the contraction of our 'sharing-
      channel'; it is a form of self-protection,
      and a very real boundary, and as such it is
      also part of the immune-system.

      As you say, children are "uniformly
      responsive" to this invitation, but as you
      know, the immune-system of the child is
      immature; without special education and
      initiation ("immunization"), children are
      unknowing of the voluntary nature of sharing.
      In their unknowing, they are often victimized
      by those who use _force_ to intrude and
      control. Soon, the child hardens, and is in
      danger of living a life of disconnection. This
      is a very real hazard which I suspect most of
      us here have had to deal with, both in
      themself and also in their own children.

      It is the involuntary and painful contraction of
      the 'sharing-channel' which is the primary
      aspect of neurosis. I have found useful
      concepts in the arena of yoga and psychic
      sciences, such as Ayurveda and Vajrayana. Here
      is how I see it:

      Sharing is possible if the _relationship_
      between the _nadis_ of Ida/Pingala is one of
      balance. Ida (female) and Pingala (male) nadis
      ('astral nerve-tubes') are useful to visualize or
      think of in terms of 'true sharing'; when either
      is dominant, the balance is lost until recovered.
      If balance and sharing occur, the main nadi, the
      central channel 'Shushumna', then opens. It is
      said the the opening of the central channel of
      Shushumna is the event which enables the rise of
      'Kundalini'.

      My own vision shows me that it is the sharing with
      the living universe which is interpreted as
      Kundalini; that is to say, that we (finally) allow
      sharing, when we are able to voluntarily expand or
      inflate our 'sharing-channel', which is Shushumna.
      It is the voluntary control of sharing which I feel
      must be learned; sharing can only occur when there
      is balance in relationship, not only between male
      and female, but also with all persons and energies.
      In other words, there is an equanimity which is not
      only internal, but which can be shared, as both the
      invitation and the partaking of agenda-free
      (neither dominating or submitting) sharing. I
      stress this repeatedly, because this is the point at
      which most people seem to lose interest in pursuing
      intimacy. Giving is nice, but it is not sharing, and
      neither is receiving. Sharing is a specific and
      identifiable reality when experienced consciously;
      it has a flavor which is that of awareness without
      embellishment, free of agenda, topic, or domination or
      submission. It is sharing of Being.

      I refer to this relationship as the Ida/Pingala Axis
      (IPA), also popularly known as Yin/Yang and also as
      the 'eternal conversation between Sakti and Siva'.

      The IPA will 'spin' one way or another, (yeah, like a
      chakra!) depending upon which (male/female) is actively
      dominating the other. Careful linkage of heartbeat with
      breath, allows the voluntary slowdown of that spin; a
      nice pulsating and gentle oscillation is the result.
      Perhaps you can feel it happening right now. Some
      researchers have speculated that what is actually being
      done is the balancing of the right and left hemispheres
      of the brain. If that is so, it is logical that there
      would be discernable 'readouts' for us to notice, for
      fine-tuning of our ways. A fine-textured 'air' then may
      move through the center channel, producing light and
      warmth. This is connection to the living universe. It
      is closely related to breath, and may sometimes feel
      cool and other times warm, or both.

      I am aware that there are those who will object to my
      introducing even more concepts to an already concept-
      clogged area of study. I remind them that I am making
      this up as I go, and am liberal in the use of metaphor.
      I feel that this is potentially redeeming information;
      that the awareness of the essential contraction of
      Being as being synonymous with involuntary closure of
      the 'sharing channel'/Shushumna may be a vital clue for
      others.

      This approach of mine may be termed as 'secular yoga';
      it is devoid of the sentimental attachments to objects
      of religion. It has more to do with recognizing the
      basic conditions which lead the yound person to either
      openness or separation, and the deliberate re-evaluation
      of all relationships, for the purpose of allowing free
      communion with that whichis. It is in that communiion
      that one discovers both individuality and universality.
      This is a highly individual event of great redeeming
      value, however it may be experienced or expressed.

      I am somewhat hesistant to add, that it is the goal of
      the Dominator Culture and their agents, to so traumatize
      the sharing-channel, that communion is forever lost as a
      possibility. The Dominator Culture may then sell us
      substitutions (drugs, false intimacy, other forms of
      stimulation) for what they have thus made unavailable;
      that is the 'conspiracy' which is sensed and decried by
      sensitive ones. Those sensitive ones, the meek, shall
      inherit the Urth.
      ________________________________

      Melody waxes poetic over "the
      living Cross":