Monday May 28th

  • andrew macnab
    Message 1 of 1 , May 29, 2001

      I am not talking about thought. Mind has to
      exist for thoughts to happen but thoughts
      don't happen just because there is mind. A
      mind can be empty of thoughts.

      No offense, but this is
      balderdash. Thought
      creates the concept of
      "mind" because it fears
      extinction. Without
      thought, the is no
      "mind" -- and no Santa

      Perhaps another way to state this might be
      that it is the concept "me" that fears the extinction
      of self-perpetuating conceptualization. E.

      Yes, very empty, like the stillness in the mountains here,
      occasionally interrupted by the sound of a soft breeze
      through the trees, but rarely by a storm :)
      And without (conscious) thinking, perception continues,
      the car can be driven, the cleaning of the house is done.
      Mind is the potential for all this functioning and stopping
      it completely would equal physical death.

      Peace of mind,

      David Hodges:

      Last night I rented "Why did Bodhi-Dharma Leave for the West". It instantly
      jumps onto my all-time best list, along with Mayakovsky's "Solaris", and de
      Sica's "The Bicycle Thief".

      This movie is "about" Zen, meditation, the search for enlightenment. A
      young man leaves his ailing mother to go study with an elderly Zen monk in
      the mountains. There, he finds that the monk has adopted a little orphan
      boy. Together, the three of them form an unlikely household. The elderly
      monk teaches the young man with koans and sayings that form the spiritual
      background of the lush imagery. The young boy becomes a complex character
      in his own right as, left alone for hours by the two meditating men who
      care for him, he has adventures with birds, other small children, and an
      escaped cow that mature him until, at the end, he almost seems to be a
      replica, in miniature, of the old monk.

      The movie is long, slow, unbelievably poetic, beautifully photographed.
      This movie has the best visual metaphors for spiritual experience I have
      ever seen. The ending is incredible but I won't give it away.

      Warning: this movie requires patience, especially the first hour when you
      are not quite sure what is going on. But it rewards your attention and by
      the end it is completely riveting.

      A Reviews of Why Has Bodhi-Dharma Left for the East? is here:

      I wanted to introduce you all to Jan Barendrecht, a long time contributor to
      the Internet Spiritual lists. Jan has written informatively and
      authoritatively on the "Raw Food Fruitarian" diet and the mystical
      experiences related to Kundalini Shakti and how to interpret the symbolism
      of it in various scriptures. Jan's writings are based on practical and
      experiential knowledge as well as in-depth understanding that comes from
      living the truth for many decades. In the following essay, Jan relates the
      ancient Epic of Gilgamesh and interweaves the concepts of Alchemy, Eternal
      Life, Immortality, and the Kundalini Shakti Symbolism.

      The full essay can be read on the HarshaSatsangh Website.

      Jan Barendrecht

      The Epic of Gilgamesh is one of the oldest known written stories, the
      earliest versions date to about 2000 B.C. The epic hails from ancient
      Babylonia, a kingdom that was located in the area between the rivers Euphrat
      and Tigris in what is now Iraq. The epic was originally written on clay
      tablets in cuneiform, the wedge shaped characters of the Sumerian language.
      The fullest surviving version of the epic, however, was written in Akkadian,
      another Babylonian language.

      By Jan Barendrecht

      Michael Read:

      Turn attention within. Allow the one-pointed concentration to arise
      as it will spontaneously do. Therein the light shines and the truth is
      revealed. The well-spring of life is ever flowing. From this all that
      is appears in its infinite glory.

      Understand that all of the illusions, the pain and suffering, the
      arising of desires and the ending of desires, the maya, the lila, and
      all transitory beings arise, move about, and are consumed in the
      well-spring of life.

      Neither you nor i are real. We are played characters on the stage of
      universal life. Understanding this to its most logical conclusion is
      rare. When the character first begins to perceive itself as
      illusory/transitory it may feel that life is without meaning and thus
      feel fear, anger or despair.

      Conversely, the character may shout out in joyful liberation upon
      discovering the truth of its existance. Or it may attain the fullness
      of objectless being.

      Whatever the case of the relative position of the character in the
      play it has no choice in the matter of what it will do or how its life
      will play out.

      Every being from the great sages and saints to the most debauched and
      villanous are formed by the eternal force of life. Understanding this
      simple yet powerful situation often brings about the greatest
      compassion. And the great ones amongst humanity see themselves as
      truly no better than any other being.

      >From one character to another character an offering - allow the
      intuition of life to guide you within to the well-spring of being. It
      is calling you with the subtle power of divine love.

      Namaste - Michael

      I came across this site, Jim Dreaver, up in your neck of the woods,
      Sebastapool, CA. He gives talks and classes. Seems like nice fellow to
      connect with.

      Just got this note back from Jim Dreaver. What a beauty!

      ...something I just wrote, a Memorial Day gift for you. Many

      To be an enlightened leader, just be an enlightened person
      and lead naturally. --Zen saying

      Wisdom teaches us that the way to enlightenment, to inner peace,
      happiness, and freedom from fear, is to give up all ideas about
      enlightenment, and just be here now. The most potent spiritual
      practice is to simply be very present in every moment. It is to be
      aware of awareness itself. It is to know ourselves as the
      consciousness, the timeless witness, behind every thought,
      sensation, and feeling.

      Then we don't need to attach to any one belief, story, or point of
      view for security. Instead, we live with an inner spaciousness in
      which all perspectives can peacefully co-exist. Our core identity and
      meaning no longer depend on any image or concept of ‘self,’ nor on
      any person or situation outside ourselves. They stem directly from the
      beauty and power of the energy, the life force, vibrating within and
      around us.

      The more we connect with this energy, the more our words and actions
      are guided by love, by the deeper wisdom we sense and feel in each
      moment. Such an approach ensures the most favorable outcome to every
      undertaking. Then, no matter what is happening in the marketplace, no
      matter what the challenges before us, we are always at peace within.

      As we learn to embody the clear, relaxed presence that is our natural
      state of being, we become an example to others. In this way we share
      the awakening that will bring harmony to our relationships, our
      communities, our world.

      --Jim Dreaver, author, THE WAY OF HARMONY

      Thanks, Judi. I did an interview with Jim Dreaver, it is at:

      I would love to meet him, be able to attend one of his talks.