Wednesday, May 23

  • umbada@ns.sympatico.ca
    Message 1 of 1 , May 25, 2001
      a new kind of graduate education

      Applications are now being accepted for Fall admission to the graduate
      program in Philosophy, Cosmology, and Consciousness at the California
      Institute of Integral Studies in San Francisco. The California
      Institute of Integral Studies is a fully accredited graduate school
      committed to the integration of mind, body, and spirit, offering M.A.
      and Ph.D. degrees.

      A growing consensus of scientists, scholars, and visionaries now
      recognizes that the Earth Community is facing a challenge unparalleled
      in the past sixty-five million years. Ecological destruction and other
      crises of modernity call for a fundamental reinvention of our
      civilization, including a transformation of both the structures of our
      institutions and the orientations of our own consciousness.

      The Philosophy, Cosmology, and Consciousness (PCC) Program has been
      designed to shape the intellectual, moral, and spiritual leadership
      necessary for meeting this unprecedented challenge. Drawing upon some
      of the most powerful ideas and impulses of our philosophical,
      scientific, and religious traditions, the PCC faculty have constructed
      an intensive multidisciplinary course of study that will accelerate the
      journey into your particular leadership role within this great work.

      The PCC Program supports those called to this great work in three
      distinct but related areas:

      (1) by offering new perspectives and paradigms, including the emerging
      new cosmology as well as cultural, psychospiritual, and eco-social
      accounts of who we are, where we've come from, and where we might be

      (2) by training students to think and see in terms of world views, and
      to assess their relative merits through a deeper grasp of cultural
      history and contemporary critiques;

      (3) by modeling a new way of thinking and being that resists the
      paradigm of fragmentation and reductionism that continues to reign
      within the dominant culture.

      Specific fields of inquiry include interdisciplinary cosmology, depth
      psychology, evolutionary science, cultural history, religious studies,
      metaphysics, history of ideas, evolution of consciousness, archetypal
      studies, esoteric thought, mythology, transpersonal theory, new
      paradigm studies, ecology, feminism, and the changing relationship
      between science and spirituality.

      Another way forward is possible. Transformation of the entire human
      project is possible. The PCC Program is dedicated to this crucial
      evolutionary task.

      Faculty include Stanislav Grof, Susan Griffin, Sean Kelly, Joanna Macy,
      Robert McDermott, Charlene Spretnak, Brian Swimme, Richard Tarnas, and
      David Ulansey.

      For further information visit the Philosophy, Cosmology, and
      Consciousness web site at:

      If you support the mission of the PCC Program please forward this
      message as widely as possible and link to the PCC website. Help spread
      the word!

      Jan Barendrecht

      I do not care one iota whether for the "higher" or the "lower" mind.
      That is what "Silence" is about: empty of thoughts and notions.

      what is possible on a mailing list but exchange a few stories and
      "experiences"? It isn't a medium to convey "Silence" :)

      And as a gentleman of leisure, that means *LEISURE* in more than one way.
      I hope that is clear enough.

      In Self-Knowledge, the distinction between "practice" and "non
      practice" disappears entirely. The Vedas declare that All This Is God -
      Consciousness (Self).

      Love to all

      Alan Kuntz

      I have yet to meet the fist individual to even give up petty ideas -
      let alone a family-man give up (all the fruits of) family-life.

      Guess you have never been a family man or perhaps I just don;t
      understand what is meant by ' all fruits of a family man' The fruits of
      a family man are nothing special other than a lot of work and a sense
      of really truly being alone and having very little will to love from
      some place some where near selfless..anyone here want to talk about a
      bunch of kids and a wife for twenty years and a coming to ones
      nothingness,a sense of nothing special but a lot of hard
      work..conscious intentional stupid suffering..Give me a holler..I don't
      believe there is any one out here in cyber space who can give you a
      nonduality contemplative....close to Objective consciousness and true
      conscience perspective to use some of the big kahuna words of the 4 th
      way systems language then good ole Alan Kuntz himself..

      I say 4 kids and 20 years married ,a bad job,a divorce and smoking
      bugler cause I cant afford a good pack of smokes,no job,a tent and some
      good weather and internet cafe.You want to talk about a family-man give
      up (all the fruits of) family-life from the perspective of some one who
      has been a twice daily meditator and has sat through a lot of dung heap
      4th way meetings and monastery sittings and zen Buddhist sangha groups
      ..some one who has travelled across the globe cause he has been struck
      down with venus intoxication and actually digs it..you want to talk
      about involution rather than evolution and the naked ape,mental
      masturbation and svanaka and you know its cool and very alright..you
      want to talk about Octaves and the ego hang up about trying to getto
      the next one,next level..you want to talk about Grace..You want to talk
      about family,my kids and why they think Im some sort of God and how I
      have no idea why ,or talk about your kids and why they think you are
      Gods or Godesses or turds and have no idea why? Hey Give me a chat..Im
      Alan yes sir ree..Moderator of contemplativeclectic..the almost dead
      and silent list..Come and chat if you care..I will check you out
      between my tent and mountain abode and a local once week end internet
      cafe where I can contemplate the beauty and cafeine of a triple Latte
      and take in and try to digest the legs that walk by..La Haim,Alan

      "Lying Kills Essence" Ouspensky
      "Curiosity is a disease"
      I raise the mirror of my life Up to my face:sixty
      years with a swing I smash the reflection-The world as
      usual,all in its place
      Taigen Sofu

      You are invited to join Perceptions of Life, an new open community
      dedicated to the direct and personal expressions in poetry and prose of
      those who wish to share their understanding of Life. Life itself is
      only one, and it includes all our traditions, all our paths and all our
      unique individualities. Life comes with many different experiences and
      everyone explores this lifespan in a different way. To bring these
      experiences and insights together in artistic and verbal expression for
      others to read, is a way to share the beauty of Life through the
      written word. People of all traditions and backgrounds are welcomed to
      join and encouraged to post their own stories, poetry and comments.
      Conversations and discussions are welcomed in the light of mutual
      respect and support. Quotes and transcripts should be accompanied by
      proper acknowledgements, and copyrights to original work are always
      retained by the author. Although the group is unmoderated, members are
      kindly requested to observe these principles.

      The hidden undercurrent that underlies all of Life, is the inspiration
      to touch one another through words filled with clarity and

      My inspiration to start this group came from the affluent wisdom
      speaking through the poetry of contemporary authors like Mark
      Christopher Valentine, Ken Phelan, Mace Mealer, Mary Bianco, Hans
      Apelgren and others. You are most welcome to join this group.

      With kind regards,

      Moderator, Perceptions Of Life

      To learn more about the PerceptionsOfLife group, please visit

      > > Is a black swan an albino?
      >considering the fact that albino means lack of pigment in the body,

      >(different syndromes are also associated as to how the recessive genes
      >are combined)

      Lack of pigment is black. We say it is a colour but it is not. Black,
      or void darkness if you must argue, consumes and does not reflect
      light. That is why it appears because it is exactly what is not there.

      And from that came light.

      How Raven Stole The Light...
      hint: not by taking it
      nor by taking it
      or giving it back.

      First the light as a absolute, brighter than ten suns, 50 moons,
      whatever... then, as the frequency was absorbed by 'creation' it
      dropped allowing those with senses at various frequencies to witness,
      see, hear, and feel what is contained within the bandwidth of light. As
      in, where did all the water go? Well, at one time there was a lot of
      water and very little people and animals and now we have many people
      and many animals all of which contain about 70% water...

      The earth,
      like any other planetary rock
      aimless moving in the soup, is a seed.
      Truth of her nature is it's sperm.
      Consider this egg fertalized.

      In a two dimensional world a plug keeps this side from that... like a
      patch... in a three dimensional universe an earth or a sun or a moon is
      a like a plug... like a bubble held at the end of a black hole... and
      'in' that bubble we exist... when you die you move towards the center
      which is the sky above your head... if you could span the whole sky you
      would find yourself on the other side of the earth... but,
      unfortunately, the deeper you go in... the further you get away... as
      for getting out, there is no way out...if you can get your mind around

      The sun and moon spin around on the inside as we all, fall into the
      next black hole to become once again... our self.

      Now, for what I do that seems like nothing actually takes massive
      energy to keep the channel open.. what channel?... Broad Band with
      absolute bandwidth ensuring that all things are passed through at least
      once... what energy? Karma not mine... YOURS and I can stop taking your
      shit at any time.

      Now, consider, you can drain me but you can not kill me nor eliminate
      me from the process... I bottom out at tolerance which is proportional
      to the unnecessary external stresses willingly and willfully 'applied'
      to my being.

      The aim then, for me, is not to give you anything but the absolute and
      truth thus condeming you or blessing you according to your own will.

      The Tao mind is a distant unutttered sigh of a ghost that draws the
      silent spirit but to no ultimate realization of the source.

      The Zen body stands at the absolute edge of ultimate explosive action
      and, like a hair trigger, only seeks the fool that wishes to test it's

      Marcia Paul

      tmnabata@... wrote:
      The quote says "it can not." You say, "the mind is the last to know." I
      understand that, but you implied that we could see with the whole of
      ourselves, and I asked how. Can you explain that? Just curious.

      I can't explain it, no.

      But I will try anyway. :-)

      The whole of myself is three-centered; body, emotions, mind. To see
      with the whole of myself, my awaresness enfolds those three functions.
      Gurdjieff had the parable of the carriage, horse, driver where the
      carriage was the body, the horse the emotions and the mind the driver.
      The passenger rides in the carriage and speaks to the driver through
      the inner voice. The driver uses the reigns (attention) to communicate
      with the horse (emotions) who pulls the carriage. The carriage has a
      self-greasing attribute which only works over rough roads.

      Seeing with the whole of myself is three-centered. Life moves through
      me as impressions. If I am awake in all three centers, I see with the
      whole of me. Each center has a different intelligence and a different

      Gene Poole

      Tony wrote:
      "I'll put my question again! Do you see non duality as we all being
      part of the universal energy or Praneaswara as Maharaj would say, or do
      you aver that this all didn't happen? I just get the impression from
      you erroneously or not, that you 'believe' in Sakti.

      As I said because of some intellectual inability to write like some of
      you guys perhaps it is also a mental disability and I misread you.

      Whatever happens in the lower mind is just avidya whether it cleverly
      written or not. Like polishing the horn of a unicorn.

      Om Namah Sivaya...Tony."

      Gene replies:

      If what you say above is true, what is left?

      What value is there in speaking of it, and to whom
      would one speak of it?

      Do you imply, or mean, that it is possible to express
      other than what is in 'the lower mind'?

      If one sees other than what the lower mind shows,
      is there a motive to share what is seen?

      Is it possible to present evidence of anything other
      than what the lower mind reveals, even if it is actually revealed?

      If the Universe (whatever it is) is not static,
      there are exchanges of energy taking place
      within the Universe. Possibly, some of these
      exchanges of energy manifest as conversation
      within the Universe.

      Seemingly disparate aspects of the Universe
      continually share or exchange energy; see
      thermodynamics as an example. Closer to home,
      all conversation _devolves_ from awareness.

      That is to say... that all products of awareness
      are essentially degenerate, and that any attempt
      to get 'ahead of the expression' is doomed to
      failure. Yes, perception and understanding can
      be seen to precede expression, but can expression
      ever get ahead of perception?

      For this and other reasons, it behooves one to
      enjoy degeneracy, and to halt the compulsion
      to establish hierarchies of relative degeneracy,
      or establishing a basis of values which give relative
      moral approval to one over the other.

      There is no line between higher and lower; as
      you say, it is all 'like polishing the horn of a Unicorn'.

      To attempt to establish, or to follow established
      hierarchies of relative moral values, creates the
      very field of stress which we know as our private
      sufferings. To let the whole thing go, to let it
      behave and be as it will, allows a very special and
      privileged view of what is; what is will reveal itself,
      to anyone who stops trying to make it into other
      than what it is.

      What is also revealed, is this:

      Our status as human Beings is perfect for us
      as human Beings; by letting go of the impulse
      to arrange hierarchies of relative moral values,
      the fit between the extant apparent Universe
      and the individual is revealed to be perfect;

      Not only that, but this:

      I am revealed as the organ of perception
      and expression of what is,

      But I will never be able to fulfill that natural
      role, as long as I impose my own, memory
      and value-based judgement upon what is.

      I am living inside of something that I cannot
      see as long as I attempt to see it as anything
      other than what it is;

      If I face the unknown without judgement
      or expectation, I see what is, which reveals
      itself to me, as I am able to accept it as being;

      What I see may or may not match any of the
      classical descriptions; it may appear as a
      cartoon duck, or as a giant clock.

      To allow what is to massage one,
      is to become intimately acquainted
      with the nature of what is, as what is
      chooses to reveal itself to  you, as you
      are now being;

      If you are being without doing,
      what is may show you what is doing.

      It is possible to establish a personal
      relationship with what is, and it appears
      that allowing what is to take the lead,
      to take the hand that is offered, to
      give up the sly hope and motive that
      there will be some advantage gained,
      may be a necessary aspect of allowing
      such a relationship to begin to occur.

      All of these things can be discussed
      and described in myriad ways, but
      the basics do not seem to change;

      "To attain mastery, is to allow oneself
      to be mastered".

      A master who knows that there is
      no doer, manifests mastery by
      allowing the actual doer to do.

      The thought or idea that anything
      can be done is truly the province
      of the "lower mind", and typically
      life is the story of that drama of
      trial, error, and suffering.

      Emanations which imply that doing
      can be done, impart a false positive
      value to predatory aggression; such
      emanations are properly termed

      Soul Searchin' Blues

      (Lari White)

      Yeah, I got one foot on the highway
      One foot on that old dirt road back home
      I got one foot on the highway
      One's on that old dirt road back home
      And I know either road I travel
      I got to go it all alone

      Dear List:  Just a thought.  A newspaper headline:  "Right: private
      Left: public".  As I get further into non-dual thought, I sense that
      it is less "one thing" as opposed to two things, but all things, and
      in many cases, a balance between "two things".  Would non-dual
      activism be achieving a proper balance between private and public
      rights and obligations?  In contrast to the blues number just posted,
      suggesting "going it alone".   Bye for now.  Terry N.

      Jody Radzik

      > I don't seem to be able to express as well as some, but how
      > 'I' see it is that what I see doesn't exist and that all is
      > Nirguna Brahman. This paradoxically is an non existant appearance
      > on a non existant illusory mind.
      > It never happened, I am not even writing this.hahahah ONS Tony.

      This kind of nondualspeak is worthless and more harmful to one's
      arriving at an experiential understanding than one might think.

      What "Tony" is "seeing" is an idea about Nirguna Brahman that has been
      generated by his mind. He hopes that this view will eventually come to
      fruition as an actual realization, but in fact it has the opposite
      effect as the view has replaced the actual experience and will remain
      lodged as a hindrance until Tony decides to abandon it.

      Those who know themselves as Brahman remain quite aware of the
      multiplicity that is inherent in Maya. Even while they might see that
      it is all Brahman, it doesn't all look like the same "thing" at all.

      Judi Rhodes

      But this "Yogic Transformation" of his "Light-filled Body" did nothing
      to lighten his mood. On the contrary, as the year wore on he became
      crankier and crankier.

      July Adi Da was expressing his misery in an unceasing torrent of

      ADI DA SAMRAJ: I feel isolated. I have nothing of a life that has
      profundity. My devotees are supposed to be cultivating the relationship
      and conveying gifts to Me. Another year has passed, and still we have
      not accomplished anything. There is no recognition, no process, nothing
      happening, nothing fundamentally has changed. In between My Sittings in
      the Chair, there is nothing to convey or to do with Me that makes it
      right. [July 5, 2000]

      There is no response to My Literature. [Dawn Horse Press sales are very
      low.] Why should I even print it? Nothing comes of it. This gathering
      is not communicating any great message. There is no culture of
      recognition. I Sit and Work Spiritually, and you all do nothing in
      response. [July 5, 2000]

      I never receive gifts, no real description of process, no real relating
      to Me and finding out what I want. Everything is always collapsing and
      there are no gifts. And I end up waiting while people are saying they
      are doing the things they have to do in order to get the gifts.

      ...I am not anywhere. I just sit and pretend. There is no real process
      around Me. What am I here for? ...It's the same dead pattern. There are
      no gifts. No one is creating the new pattern. I am still treated like
      an asshole.

      ...You are just enclosing Me in this theater of you all. There is
      nothing going on with the mission or My Literature. There is no event
      in the gathering. You are not creating anything.

      ...Truly, I am just serving a secondary, religion business function. I
      am a Face in the Chair to keep the religion business going such that it
      is. My Great Divine Work or Process is bullshit to everyone.

      I cease to have the impulses to hang around even here. I want to get
      the hell out of here. I have no inclination to go to the Hall. You
      don't give Me any reason.

      Why have people been so unresponsive to Me? Why is there such
      destruction of My Work? After 30 years there still aren't any
      missionary results. So what is the source of this non-event? What is
      defeating it? Why are there no signs of this resistance changing? [July
      25, 2000]

      ADI DA SAMRAJ: You have not done anything in all these thirty years,
      and here I Am, almost sixty-one years of age, and I have seen that My
      Work has failed. ...I have been rejected. You have not accepted Me.
      This entire gathering has never come to a point of accepting Me. There
      is no response or recognition. ...You have wasted My Life -- My actual
      human Life. You have made Me into a cult figure. ...You have made
      Adidam into a non-event with your reactivity. [September 30, 2000]

      Late that night the shit started to hit the fan.

      ADI DA SAMRAJ: I just went into the gathering again for my sixty-first
      birthday, and I can no longer do it. It was clear to me that it is
      done. It is completely done.

      I can never make myself available again to the world of beginners. It
      just cannot be done. It must not be done again. I must be permanently
      set apart, from this time forth, in an established hermitage -- with
      access only as appropriate.

      You must build me a temple.

      You all have such a habit of wrongly relating to me that you do not
      even understand what you are doing. Therefore, no one set me part and
      created the appropriate seclusion for me to live in. So I simply have
      to do it myself.

      I will not tolerate anything else. From now on, I will be intolerant
      about this. I am dropping the egg. This is a form of dropping the egg.
      I evaporated at Lopez Island. And I am in a different form here now.

      ...I will never again set foot within the gathering in the manner I
      have done in the past. I will never again be available in the manner I
      have been in the past. Access will only occur in a profoundly sacred
      environment, in a sacred temple where it is worthy for people to
      approach me based on their devotional recognition of me and devotional
      response to me. And the people coming to me must be worthy -- truly
      worthy -- with the true gifts of practice and devotion and fulfillment
      of their responsibilities and obligations.

      It is not appropriate for me to exist in interactive association with
      the Pan-Communion and the Ruchirasala any longer. Truly, it has not
      been appropriate for the last fifteen years, since my Divine
      Self-"Emergence" -- but no one has understood this, and they have
      required me to maintain this association with beginners, even to the
      point of near-death.

      And I could feel the same symptoms occurring again because of my
      physical association with beginning devotees at the Mountain of
      Attention this weekend. So it is clear to me that that form of directly
      interactive association with beginners is over -- it is done.

      ...For there to be access, it has to be a big deal. In other words, I
      have to be really set apart, and all of the obligations have to be
      really fulfilled relative to the Ruchirasala and the Pan-Communion. And
      if they don't do it, I am not going to grant access and that is that.

      I require big gifts, and these gifts must be brought to me in the
      context of my holy sphere, which is not a religion-business place -- it
      is a holy, sacred temple.