Highlights for Saturday, May 19, 2001

  • Beth352006@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , May 20, 2001
      Jerry:

      Interviews - Kriben Pillay:

            Kriben Pillay's book Radical Work explores the value of The
            Work as a means of bringing about clarity, creativity and
      efficiency in the workplace. It sets out the theory of radical
      transformation, drawing on the insights of leading thinkers - David
      Bohm, Daniel Goleman, J. Krishnamurti, Danah Zohar and others -
      showing why The Work of Byron Katie could be the most radical, but
      simple, tool that organisations can use for bringing about the end of
      conflict and the beginning of true creative action. We sent him some
      questions in his mail-box...

      EB: Who is Byron Katie and how did you discover 'The Work'?

      KP: Byron Katie is an ordinary American woman from Barstow, California
      who, although having everything in material life – beauty, a lovely
      family, and a very successful business – suffered from addictions and
      an intense depression. While 'drying out' in a halfway house for
      addicts, she underwent, at age 43, a transformation of consciousness
      that revealed to her that she was not the suffering personality that
      she thought was, but Love itself.

      As a researcher into transformations of consciousness, I came across
      Byron Katie's biography and realized that here was an unusual human
      being, and that the process that her transformed state gave rise to,
      The Work, has immense implications for suffering humanity.

      EB: For readers who are unfamiliar with this system of self-inquiry
      can you give a brief explanation?

      KP: The Work is a form of self-inquiry that simply poses four
      questions: (1) Is it true? (2) Can I really know that it's true? (3)
      What do I get for holding onto this belief (story, concept, thought)?
      (4) What would I be without this belief? The inquiry then leads to the
      turnaround where we begin to see that our suffering is really caused
      by the projections of our thinking.

      EB: What is your vision? What can readers hope to achieve from reading
      Radical Work?

      KP: Hopefully, readers will gain an intellectual understanding of The
      Work within the context of what leading thinkers have to say about
      transformation. Also, it is hoped that the Appendix by Byron Katie
      will lead readers to their own release from suffering and gain the
      immense clarity that is natural to us.

      EB: How can organizations use the 'Work' for transformation and how
      does the Work differ from other forms of transformational/motivational
      training?

      KP: Organizations can be taught to use The Work to end conflict and a
      culture of blame that is so prevalent in our society. The Work exposes
      all our hidden agendas and fears. But this can only happen if the
      organizations want a culture of clarity, efficiency and
      responsibility. Many say they do, but they still want to play their
      various power games. The Work will radically threaten such attitudes,
      and such organizations are best left with 'feel-good' motivational
      programmes that put enticing icing on top of a rotten cake. As Daniel
      Goleman says, most motivational training only gives people 'a
      short-term "buzz" of energy that lasts no more than a few days and
      weeks'. Most motivational programmes, also, still teach that we are
      separate, disconnected beings that have to control life in some way or
      the other and to get as much as we can. The underlying motive here is
      still fear. Through The Work we see that non-separation is our innate
      state, therefore the way we function is radically different.

      EB: Who or what influences your writing the most?

      KP: Everything that I have read has influenced me in some way, but the
      writings of philosopher J. Krishnamurti have had a profound effect on
      me. Authentic clarity, however, is beyond influence and is ever new,
      although it may use whatever material it has been exposed to in order
      to communicate That which is beyond communication. My current favorite
      book is Eckhart Tolle's The Power of Now.

      EB: Do you have any other books planned? What projects are you working
      on at the moment?

      KP: I have a children's book planned entitled Is it true you've lost
      your marbles? This book will also serve as a fable for adults. The
      other book is a series of entertaining stories about my personal
      experiences of The Work of Byron Katie. Both books should be published
      early next year, if not sooner.

      EB: Are there any additional comments or thoughts you would like to
      share?

      KP: All suffering, if you really examine it, is just a story. But the
      mind cannot readily accept this because it lives off drama.

      Richard Schiffman, forwarded by Gloria:

      I am an author of a just published book entitled "Mother of All" about my
      experiences with a remarkable holy woman of India, Anasuya Devi. Her
      life-story is unusual in the annals of world spirituality revealing
      a uniquely feminine approach to spiritual enlightenment. This book was very
      well recieved in India where it was published some years back, but we are
      having a little trouble getting word out here in the US about the American
      edition which was just released by the Blue Dove Press in San Diego. There
      are endorsements on the back by Wayne Dyer, Joseph Chilton Pearce and
      Publishers Weekly and the cover shows an arresting portrait of the Mother in
      a natural setting. Early reports from bookstores indicate that the book is
      selling very well at stores where it is stocked. We are carried by New Leaf
      Distributors and listed on Amazon.com.

      "Mother of All" is the account of the life and thought of one of the most
      unusual woman teachers of the twentieth century. Mother Anasuya Devi of
      Jillellamudi village South India was a renowned, if controversial, figure
      who shocked Hindu traditionalists by teaching that the world is real and not
      an illusion or maya as is commonly held. She insisted that the earth itself,
      and not some transcendent divinity, is the highest God. Mother¹s biography--
      especially her early years which were marked by extraordinary visions,
      miracles and terse Zen-like teachings on the oneness of matter and spirit--
      has been compared to the life of Christ.

      Is this the type of book that you might be interested in reviewing or
      carrying excerpts of in your newsletter? The ISBN number of Mother of All is
      1--884997-28-7. The retail price of the book is $19.95.
      Kindly let me know if we can provide you with any more information.

      Richard Schiffman
      richschiff@...
      Sandeep, forwarded by Tim:

      Interesting report on the "New Scientist"

      Freedom from the will,
      freedom from the law

      Alongside all the esoteric laboratory tinkering and airy
      philosophizing about hard problems, the study of consciousness has a
      practical side, too. For example, legal scholars are beginning to
      worry about whether neurobiology might blast away the foundations of
      Western legal systems and the concept of human rights.

      They have good reason to worry. Modern neurobiologists and
      neurophilosophers of consciousness such as Patricia Churchland at the
      University of San Diego deride voluntary choice, free will, and
      similar concepts as mere "folk psychology". Indeed, consciousness may
      have surprisingly little power to affect behaviour, according to some
      of the work now coming out of research labs.

      For example, neurobiologists have measured how long certain visual
      perceptions take to register in consciousness, says Jeffrey Gray, a
      neurobiologist at the Institute of Psychiatry in London. This time
      delay--about 200 milliseconds--means that a tennis star at Wimbledon
      must return a serve well before becoming conscious of the serve's
      approach. "Our everyday experience of having conscious experiences
      and acting because of them is in most cases an illusion," says
      Gray. "Consciousness comes too late to affect behaviour."

      But if that's true, then our cherished notion that we can make a
      voluntary, conscious choice to do good or evil goes straight out of
      the window. And with it goes the basis for our legal system, says
      David Hodgson of the Supreme Court of New South Wales, the lone
      lawyer to speak at the conference.

      Western legal tradition puts great stock in the concept of intent,
      says Hodgson. To be found guilty of a crime, a person must
      consciously choose to commit the illegal act. Those who are unaware
      of their actions or who are coerced by a power beyond their control
      are let off the hook.

      For some crimes, notably rape, the voluntary consent of the victim is
      also at issue. If conscious choice is just a myth, however, this
      standard vanishes. Neuroscientists need to consider whether they are
      ready to sweep all this away, says Hodgson. "What do they see as
      replacing the consent of the woman in determining whether an act of
      sexual intercourse is voluntary or rape?" he asks. "There's very good
      reason to continue to insist on the fundamental distinction between
      acts which are voluntary and acts which are not."
      Melody and Jan:

      ºI thought you found G's teachings to be
      ºof great value as one approaches the 'work' of
      ºdeconditioning.
      º
      ºHave I mis-read you?
      º
      ºMelody

      Not at all: deconditioning concerns apperception.
      And that could be called "to know who you are":
      when that is crystal clear, moksha/nirvana is a
      matter of "when", not of "if", because from then
      on, one becomes aware of the life-force and
      conditioning will burn out by itself.

      And that is the difference between teachings/
      methods: when apperception fails to give that
      clarity, what's the use of it anyway? Because
      apperception-only will not free one from the "wheel".
      All methods/systems only address a part of
      conditioning: that what was important for the
      teacher. No guarantee whatsoever that "works"
      for you too.

      To see conditioning, one has to be
      free from most of it - and then, advice it always
      "personal". What is a crucial conditioning for one,
      can be a triviality for someone else. Hence, a general
      advice that "works" can only be drastic - like
      unconditional surrender, or a "mental" visit to Yama.
      Those taking that advice don't show up on a mailing list :)

      Jan

      You may also Email me privately at coresite@... or visit my website, The
      Core, listed below.

      If I start a new mailing list, it will be posted in a prominent location on
      the following website: http://coresite.cjb.net

      Good luck to you, Jerry.

      *Poof*
      Joy, Laughter and Blessings,