Highlights for Saturday, April 28, 2001

  • Beth352006@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 29 1:36 PM

      Jerry:
      some interesting websites:

      http://www.silkentiger.com

      http://www.colinperini.com/truth1.htm

      http://www.ods.nl/ikben/gb

      Gracie:
      I am a member of the Waccamaw Siouan tribe in North Carolina.  We are
      small, and have only about 2500 to 3000 members.  We are a bit unique
      for our state in that we have no blood ancestral ties to the many
      other tribes here.  We are related to the Sioux in the dakotas,
      Siouan is the language my people once spoke, and it is a derivative
      of the Sioux, we are  cousins.  The others here are of Iriquois and
      Algonquin descent so their language was very different.  Just  as a
      side bar that many  do not know, North Carolina has the largest
      Native population east of the mississippi, and we are  quite active,
      and well known in what we refer to as "Indian Country".  The south
      american indians come here to a local pow wow every year and play for
      us as a live band, it is beautiful music, and they are accepted as
      one of the people as is only  fit and proper.  I dont know where you
      are located, but  the Pow wow invite is an open one to any who  care
      to come.

      James:
      If 'you' ask 'Who am I' and 'you' get an answer, 'you' can
      be certain that it is false. If 'you' answer the question the inquiry
      has ceased (the 'answer' is in the question).

      The 'answer' flowers in 'your' absence.
      It is the 'Intelligence of Innocence'.

      This 'answer' is an understanding or 'the peace beyond all
      understanding' and it is unquestionable.

      Tim:
      Thanks James, beautifully stated.

      The 'final conclusion' to "Who am I?" is either "I AM" (in the sense
      of consciousness only) or "I Am Not" (in the sense of ego).  Same
      difference -- and the possibility exists for yet another 'step'
      beyond this, too -- "There is only Understanding" (substitute
      whatever word for "Understanding").  Of course this Understanding
      is 'beyond the mind'.

      Yes, it is unquestionable.  There is an absolute 'sureness' about it,
      and i don't think justthis would have the slightest 'issue' with it
      if he would stop 'future tripping' about what it might be like :=).

      'It' is available 'here' and 'now', 'this instant'.
      What Does This "Really" Mean?

      Michael J:
      The Gospel of Thomas
      Translated by Stephen Patterson and Marvin Meyer

      55. Jesus said, "Whoever does not hate father and mother cannot be
      my disciple, and whoever does not hate brothers and sisters, and carry
      the cross as I do, will not be worthy of me."

      Tim:
      "Hate" must be mistranslated.  "Attachment" might be a better term,
      or it points to "attachment to birth and/or the body."  Yet, it is a
      very radical statement.  It points to 'radical unattachment'.  Jesus
      was a rebel (not a good or bad thing, that was his message).

      > and whoever does not hate brothers and sisters, and carry
      > the cross as I do, will not be worthy of me."

      Again, this is a sort of 'renounce the world' statement, but not
      renounce as in abandon, but renounce all attachments to it.  "Carry
      the cross" seems to point to the same thing as the concept of the
      Buddhist Bodhisattva.

      Gill E:
      Tim has already addressed it well, and 'hate' is sometimes translated
      as 'set aside'. Set aside our worldly attachments and 'carry the cross'.
      The cross is the burden of  working  bodhisattva like as Tim pointed
      out, and the burden is no real burden. Saying 90:

      90. Jesus said, "Come to me, for my yoke is comfortable and my
      lordship is  gentle, and you will find rest for yourselves."
      Michael J found a group

      "We have been developing this site for some months
      And now would be a good time to introduce it
      The main goal "harmony"
      Please feel free to join
      http://communities.msn.com/SpiritualTeachers

      only two Requests
      No Advertising…
      Advertisers will be sent into cyber space "one way ticket"
      Allow every body has the right to their belief please respect it

      Warning
      If you are religiously sensitive and not able to tolerate open
      discussion
      Please "stay at home" "

      Tim:
      Dear Dan et al.,

      To climb up the mountain is to climb down.
      To climb down the mountain is to go nowhere.
      To go nowhere is to understand there is nowhere to go.
      To understand there is nowhere to go is to stop climbing down.
      To stop climbing down is to be at the top of the mountain.

      Dan:
      Dear Tim -

      The view with no edges,
        allows all edges to join
        with no separation.
      Gloria:
      Stanley Sobbatka's Course in Consciousness is a great
      resource, known for the clarity of his explanations. While
      his website has been mentioned before, some new material
      has been added recently to part 3, some in the past couple
      of days. Just scroll down the left side bar to reach part 3.

      http://faculty.virginia.edu/consciousness/
      Jan:
      Why the "teaching frenzy" after apperception? Here are
      a few reasons...

      1. filling Emptiness with the presence of others despite
      being taught that there are none
      2. making money directly out of nothingness
      3. lecturing what would benefit the lecturer most but
      doesn't have time for due to the busy schedule
      4. running after the liberated whims of the now
      enlightened mind
      5. fulfilling the desire to travel
      6. just for the fun of it
      7. because only I know the truth best
      8. because my master/guru told me so and only
      (s)he knows the truth best
      9. and I want to have a meaningful life too
      10. only God knows that
      11. the perspective from a pedestal is always better
      12. all of the above and even some more
      13. none of the above and even some less

      Joy, laughter and humor,
      Fundamentals of Kundalini Yoga
      offered by:
      Pieter Schoonheim Samara

      http://www3.ns.sympatico.ca/umbada/pieter11.htm

      One of the Stories:
      The severe disease of thinking

      Introduction by Erich Scheurmann

      (I [Jan] translated some excerpts from German into English)

      The lectures of Samoan chief Tuiavii from Tiavea to the members of his tribe

      When the word "spirit" enters the mouth of a Papalagi,
      his eyes grow big, round and fixated; he raises his
      himself, starts breathing heavily and stretches himself
      like a warrior who has slain the enemy. Because this
      'spirit' is something he is particularly pride on. We aren't
      speaking from the vast, powerful Spirit, which the missionary
      calls "God", from Whom we are but a needy image, but
      from the little Spirit, belonging to man, who is creating
      his thoughts. When I'm looking from here at the mango
      tree behind the church, that isn't Spirit, because I only
      see it. But when I recognize that he is bigger than the
      church from the mission, well, that has to be Spirit. So
      I just don't have to see something, but I have to know
      something as well. This knowing is what the Papalagi is
      practicing from sunrise to sunset. His spirit is always like
      a filled gun or like an ever active fishing rod. Therefore
      he pities our people of the many islands, because we
      aren't practicing this knowing. We are poor spirits and
      dumb like a wild animal.

      It may be true, we are little practicing this knowing,
      what the Papalagi is calling 'thinking'. But the question
      is, which one is dumb; the one thinking little or the one
      thinking too much. The Papalagi is thinking continuously:
      "my hut is smaller than the palm tree, the palm tree is
      bowing from the storm, the storm is speaking with a loud
      voice." That is the way of his thinking, be it in his way of
      course. But he is thinking about himself too: "I am small.
      My heart always rejoices when seeing a girl. How I love it
      to go to Malaga." And so on...

      That is merry and good and may have many hidden uses for
      the one, loving this game in his head. But the Papalagi is thinking
      so much, that thinking became a habit, necessity, even a
      compulsion. Ever he has to think. Only with great difficulty,
      he manages not to think, and to live with his entire body.
      Often, he is living just with his head, while all senses are
      completely dormant, although he is going, speaking, eating
      and laughing. The thinking process, the thoughts - these are
      the fruits of thinking - keep him imprisoned. It is a kind of i
      ntoxication from his own thoughts. When the sun is shining
      beautifully, he is thinking immediately: "how beautifully it is
      shining!" Always he thinks: "how beautifully it is shining at
      this moment." That is wrong, fundamentally wrong and foolish.
      Because it is better, not to think at all, when it is shining. An
      intelligent  Samoan stretches his limbs in the warm light and
      doesn't think at it. He doesn't absorb the sun just with his head,
      but also with hands, feet, thighs, stomach, with all limbs. He
      lets his skin and limbs think for themselves, and certainly are
      they thinking, be it different than the head. For the Papalagi
      however, thinking is in many ways like a big chunk of lava he
      can't get out of the way. He is thinking in a merry way but
      doesn't laugh; he is thinking sadly but doesn't cry. He is hungry
      but doesn't take Taro or Palusami. Mostly he is a man, whose
      senses are living in hostility with his spirit; a man, split in two.
      The life of a Papalagi resembles in many ways to a man, making
      a journey by boat to Savaii and, leaving the shore, immediately
      thinks: "How long will it take before I arrive at Savaii?" He is
      thinking, but doesn't see the pleasant scenery through which
      the journey is going. Soon, at the left bank, he sees a mountain
      ridge. As soon as his eyes capture it, he can't get away from it:
      "What could be behind the mountain? Is it a deep or a narrow
      bay?" By thinking in such a way, he forgets to sing along with
      the youngsters, he doesn't hear the merry jokes of the young
      women. Hardly the boat is lying in the bay behind the mountain
      ridge or he is tortured with a new thought, if a storm will start
      before the evening. Yes, if a storm will be coming. At a clear sky
      he is looking for dark clouds. He is ever thinking of the storm
      that possibly could arrive. The storm doesn't come, and he arrives
      at Savaii in the evening, unharmed. But now it is to him, as if he
      didn't undertake the journey at all, because always his thoughts
      were far from his body and outside of the boat. He could have
      stayed in his hut in Upolu just as well.

      A spirit however, torturing us that way, is a devil and I don't
      understand why so many are loving it. The Papalagi loves and
      honors his spirit and feeds his spirit with thoughts from his
      head. He never lets it fast, but at the same time he isn't
      troubled when the thoughts are mutually feeding on each
      other. He makes a lot of noise with his thoughts and allows
      them to be loud as uneducated kids. He behaves as if his
      thoughts were as exquisite as flowers, mountains and woods. [...]
      He behaves, as if there would be a command that man has to
      think much. Yes, that this command would be from God. But
      when the palm trees and the mountains are thinking, they don't
      make such a noise with it. And certainly, if the palm trees
      would think as loudly and wild as the Papalagi, they wouldn't
      have beautiful green leaves and golden fruits. (Because it is
      firm experience, that thinking accelerates aging and makes ugly).
      They would fall (from the tree) before they would be ripe.
      However, it is more probable that they are thinking very little.

      This thinking should make the mind great and high. If
      someone is thinking much and fast, in Europe they say
      such a one is a great mind. Instead of having compassion
      with such great minds, they are extraordinarily honored.
      The villages make them to their chiefs, and wherever a
      great mind comes, he has to think publicly what to all
      affords pleasure and is admired a lot. When a great
      mind dies, there is grieving in the entire country and
      a lot of wailing for what has been lost. An image of
      such a great mind is made in natural stone and installed
      before all eyes at the market place. Yes, these heads of
      stone are made much bigger than they were in life, so
      that the peope really admires them and can reflect on
      the own little mind.

      If one asks a Papalagi: why do you think so much? he
      answers: because I don't want and am not allowed to
      stay stupid. Worthless , every Papalagi who doesn't
      think; although essentially he is prudent, he he doesn't
      think much and yet finds his way. However I think, this
      is just a pretext and the Papalagi just goes after his
      urge. That the real purpose of his thinking is, to find
      out the forces of the great Spirit. An occupation, he himself
      calls eloquently "acknowledge". Acknowledge, that means
      to have a thing so clearly before one's eyes, that one is
      touching it with the nose, yes is piercing it. This piercing
      and ransacking is a tastless and contemptible desire of
      the Papalagi. He takes a centipede, pierces it with a little
      spear and tears a leg away. How does such a leg, separated
      from the body, look like? How was it fixed to the body?
      he breaks the leg in order to measure the thikness. That is
      important, is essential. He removes a splinter  the size of
      a grain of sand from the leg and lays it under a long tube
      with a secret force enabling the eyes to see much more
      sharply. With this big and strong eye he ransacks
      everything, your tears, a shred of the skin, a hair, everything
      and everything. He divides all these things, until he arrives
      at a point, where there remains nothing to break or to
      divide. Although this point is the smallest of the smallest,
      it is anyhow the most essential, because it is the entrance,
      only the great Spirit does possess. This entry is also
      denied to the Papalagi, and his best sorceries still haven't
      revealed it yet. The great Spirit doesn't have its secrets
      taken away. Never. Never did anyone climb a palm tree,
      higher than that palm tree his legs surrounded. At the
      crown he has to turn; the trunk would fail to climb higher.
      The great Spirit doesn't love the curiosity of mankind,
      therefore he has put big lianas that are without beginning
      and end. Therefore anyone, investigating all thou