Friday April 27. 2001

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 27, 2001

      If you keep a flowering branch in your heart, surely the singing bird will come. ~Chinese Saying

      Happy Spring!

      Dear List,
      What a beautiful day!!  The sun is shining, the birds are singing,
      the breeze blows softly in a gentle caress, and we are allowed to enjoy the experience.  to coin a phrase from "justthis", "all are blessed".  :-)

      Love Gracie

      Dear Gracie,

      Dare I speak this way... oh what the heck... where else?

      "I" am not blessed, but am Blessedness Itself.  "I" am that
      which 'you' experience as the blessedness.

      Love,

      Tim

      Body as Gift

      "Body is not your enemy nor is it in any way unfriendly or even indifferent to you.  The very existence of the body is bliss.  And the moment you take the body as a gift, a divine gift, you will come back to the body.  You will love it, you will feel it; and subtle are the ways of its feeling."

      -- Osho (Rajneesh), _Meditation, the Art of Ecstasy_

      All 'nonduality' seems to say is that the body doesn't
      exist 'substantially' (or anything else 'manifested') but 'depends'
      (on whatever... Awareness, consciousness, "That," pick a term).  The various techniques such as "I am not the body" are (supposedly at least) to loosen attachment to or 'too much identification with' the body.

      It isn't so much the body is misunderstood or denied in 'nonduality', but the 'reasons why' the 'nondual scriptures' seem to deny the body are misunderstood.  This is for 'beginners', to 'loosen identification' only.

      Osho was essentially a 'rebel', and so his focus seemed to be denying the 'ancient scriptures', but all of it has validity, 'his view', the ancient scriptures, you name it.  At some point it all merges together (even as thought/ideas) as 'unsplit reality' (Hi Dan! ;-).

      Namaste,

      Tim

      Hi Tim -

      What you say is true.
      The original body has no splits.
      The splits added later, don't last.
      If this is seen clearly, nothing is split,
         even as the splits added later
         appear.

      The teachings pro and con "the body"
         (which is a separated, conceptual body)
         don't apply when the unsplit
         "original body" is known as it is.

      Shalom,
      Dan

      Dear Dan et al.,

      To climb up the mountain is to climb down.
      To climb down the mountain is to go nowhere.
      To go nowhere is to understand there is nowhere to go.
      To understand there is nowhere to go is to stop climbing down.
      To stop climbing down is to be at the top of the mountain.

      Love,

      Tim

      Tree of Awakening

      Why should we cherish all sentient beings?
      Because sentient beings
      are the roots of the tree-of-awakening.
      The Bodhisattvas and the Buddhas are the flowers and fruits.
      Compassion is the water for the roots.
      -   Avatamsaka Sutra

      Allspirit Website: http://www.allspirit.co.uk

      Wim Borsboom from HarshaSatsangh

      > >    They arise
      simultaneously, as
      > >    body and mind, space and
      form,
      > >    movement and stillness, arise
      simultaneously.

      Did I write that? (I don't think so, at least not yet as it still the 27th
      :-)

      Anyway someone is asking:
       Why is this so hard to comprehend?

      When we finally comprehend with our hands again,
      Our mind will have no difficulty comprehending anything...

      Before I came to Canada I was a sculptor (from when I was 18 to 27... while
      I was burning my candle from two sides and in the middle as well.)

      Space and form, void and form, form and emptiness, movement and stillness
      indeed, meet each other in identical instances...

      Yin is not in any way different from yang except in the limited dimensional
      representations as conceived in the deflated universe of flatlanders.

      The potter knows the bowl inside out,
       forming it in the void,
       shaping the bowl around nothing
       so it may contain something

      I bet you Avalokiteshvara Bodhisattva was a potter

      When we finally comprehend with our hands again,
      Our mind will have no difficulty comprehending anything...

      Love,Wim

      > Hi Tim:
      >
      > How is beyond experienced?

      Taking "beyond" to point to Understanding, or "There is only X"
      (those incomprehensible statements sometimes uttered by those foolish enough to utter them) --

      It's not an 'it', and 'it' isn't experienced (the limitations of
      language already making themselves apparent)...

      Only this can be said (as a gross approximation): IT IS,
      and 'everything else' is a sort of dull, faded smudge.

      > Beyond sounds like something that is not
      here.

      Oh no... "it's here."  But nothing else really is :-).

      Love,

      Tim

      ---Dear Michael,
      Did you know that we refer to  native flute as the sound of the soul when it sings?  and the drum as the heart beat of our mother earth?
      Love Gracie

         Hi Gracie and michael,
           I feel that there is tremendous value in 'vibration' - sounds
           that facilitate resonance.

          Another lover of flutes (pan and bamboo).
          james

      Dan
      Without any object, no subject.

      And when no subject, no object -- what dream or
         non-dream is to be discussed?

      Jan
      No one, apart from humor:

      1. Ramana used to teach "Who am I?"
      but no one asked him "who is talking?"
      or "to whom is the talking?".

      Dan
      Yes.  It's a question arising
          in a dream, in which the
          question itself is the questioner.

      Jan
      2. Nisargadatta used to teach
      "I am that" but no one asked
      why not "I am this" - as if
      distance matters.

      Dan
      Yes.  "I am that" has nothing
         to which to refer.  Could
         be said "I am I" or "I-I"
         or " "

      Jan
      3. When truly "at the end of the rope"
      nondual realization is spontaneous
      so indifference and suffering have
      to be an attachment stronger than
      that to love and sex.

      Dan
      Yes.  To believe oneself capable
         of being indifferent, or
         to believe one is suffering is
         to place oneself in an existence
         apart (generally called "to have
         a life ;-)

      Love and sex unite, yet what
         is undivided needs not be
         united.

      Spontaneous realization is indeed
         "all this" "all that is happening"
         as there never has been a rope,
         there is no end to "this" ...

      Ringing bell,
      Dan

      Obscure Saying

      * Ignotum per ignotius, obscurantum per obscurantius: "the unknown by  the more unknown, the obscure by the even more obscure"; that is to say: a situation where  the explanation of a thing is more difficult to understand than the thing itself.

      Of interest to some...

      <http://www.consciousevolution.com/rennes/ignotum1.htm>

      A tip of the etheric hat to Antoine Carre...

      ==Gene Poole==

      Activity in Vacumn

      Stationary at rest
      I on the rotating Urth
      Before local dawn
      Sunrays touch

      The highest atmosphere
      A shiver then descends
      And is caught
      In resonant chamber

      Largest hollow organ
      Then awakens
      Into peristaltic movement
      Persistant and growing

      Excitation
      Awakens
      Central Nervous System
      Senses report

      At this precise moment
      Is identity initiated
      Touched by the sun
      Inflamed to activity

      History reappears
      Memory speaks
      Duty calls
      The day begins

      Seen as such
      Known as such
      The difference
      Is appreciated

      Asleep/awake
      Passive/Active
      Night/Day
      Absent/Present

      Watching identity
      Performing duty
      Activity in vacuum
      Life is blessing

      ==Gene Poole==

      I have also planned, having selected a somewhat traditional burial with my attire being full traditional regalia, with my daughter playing flute for me as i taught her.  There  is much beading required, and i prefer it be done by my own hand so that too has begun.  It is said that a true regalia is never complete, so i doubt i will have all i  hope for before it is needed, but just knowing  i am  somewhat prepared is enough.  I dont feel i will pollute the earth as  she is our mother after all and it is from her that we came, it is fitting that we return to her when its time.  Just my opinion of course, and what do I know?? nothing !!:-)
      Love Gracie

      " and what do I know?? nothing !!:-)"

      That's what's so wonderful about you.  If you stick around here and still retain that quality it will be a miracle, though.

      Despite "unsplit," there's something 'ugly' about "head knowledge."  Philosophers, pundits, they go on spouting.  Even "Tim" goes on spouting too much, although in this case 'no doer' is realized and so the words appear helplessly (and who will believe this... see what i mean?)

      The 'Beginner's Mind' quality is "Grac(i)e" and nothing else.

      Tim

      Posted at HarshaSatsangh

      Dear Tony,

      You wrote:
       Talking from a dwaitic point of view perhaps but from an advaitic point of view this is all a dream that never happened. There is no beginning to it but there can be an
      end....  Realisation/Moksha.

      What do you know yourself Tony, really know?

      And besides, have you ever attempted to answer the question:
      " Who am I?" without words, without thoughts... but with your physical faculties..., the full conglomerate of being.

      There is no point of view... Tony, 'no dualist', no 'non-dual' point of view. In 'viewpoints' nothing is really viewed, nothing is really seen with your own real eyes, nothing is pointed at or touched with your own real fingers...

      Get to your senses, Tony.... Come to your senses...

      When you finally un-inhibited and fully sense again, will you overcome the 'erroneous' idea of separation... You will fall into oneness, you will fall in love...

      Your senses are NOT in the way,
      your per-ceptions ARE NOT in the way,
      con-ceptions ARE.

      (Btw, concepts are never our own...)

      Senses are the only means to re-discover and re-cognize oneness...
      And
      Senses are so lovely to enjoy in playful, mutual and reciprocal celebration.

      Why the fear... who put that in you?

      (Btw, fear is never our own... it is instilled in us)

      Eventually your senses will be so fine-tuned...
      you will per-ceive without any doubt at all
      the epiphany of unquestioned validity of being,
      the given, the human / divine condition,
      the graces, the gifts that we are to one-another.

      All that is...
      Playful, timely and spacely representations
       of this all & one

      Per-ceive and re-ceive
      the full subtlety of unity/diversity at once

      Receive... recapture.

      Holding your love again within and without.

      Ah, the lostness in love,
      when the aberrated mind does not interfere with senses anymore,

      Absolute self-evidence of being.
      you feel
      you touch
      you see
      you taste
      you hear
      at once

      Ah, the senses...
      There is actually no other way, Tony... you man with a body, a tongue, fingers, skin, lips, a heart, who eats and walks and can snap his fingers.
      It is that simple... believe your eyes, etc... believe yourself, trust me... it works.

      Believe not your mind's eye, the speculations mirrored to you from afar, blinding your real eyes, the mind become the mirage.
      The mind is not really that, but has become that. Whatever your mind comes up with now, whatever understanding it seems to offer... it is in error.

      There is nothing to understand...
      not even me...
      Life is direct, acute, immediate....
      when you come to,
      coming to your senses...

      Is that the problem perchance? Were you kicked out of that immediacy? Were you made to lose touch... What did the perpetrators do to you?

      Do not be held back, inside that mental vicious circle, the mind forever on an errand.
      Get out in nature bodily, touch something, plant seeds, swim, do some art, work with clay, paint, sing, play an instrument, belly dance...

      You will eventually sing, dance and be oneness.
      You will lose your separated self in intense and heightened being.You will accept that you are Tony, with a body for starters, living on earth in an environment that calls for love, inviting you to join (yoga) into oneness...
      Play, Tony, play again.... man.

      Play, the only way to overcome separation.

      Viewpoints are only in the mind's pseudo power of illusiveness, its ability of making things up into mental constructs...so that reality can be escaped.

      The mind is not supposed to do that, but the traumatized person has been forced to ab-use the mind that way.

      Tell me of real physical traumas that happened to you, physical situations that were terrifying and appeared or were made to appear physically inescapable, until your mind found a pseudo way out... escapism.

      Advaita is not escapism.

      The way you understand advaita is an attempt to escape mentally. Why would you, you are doing that already...

      You actually do not know that, that is why I tell you.

      Points of view are purely a mental posturing, something we think up to get away with not having to face reality..., look it in the face, take it in the hands, walk through it...

      Love, Tony, Wim

      Michael Read introduces:

      Here is a delightful excerpt from Catherine Ingram.
      For your consideration:

      ********************

      STOP PRETENDING

      By Catherine Ingram

      INNER DIRECTIONS JOURNAL, SPRING 1997

      One day a six-year-old friend said to me, "Pretend you are
      surrounded by a thousand hungry tigers. What would you do?" I
      visualized the situation as he had suggested and, coming up with no viable plan of action, said, "Wow, I don't know. What would you do?" And he replied, "I'd stop pretending."

      In many ways, our usual pretending to be' somebody, to prove'
      something, to aggrandize some notion of ourselves is similar to
      imagining being surrounded by a thousand hungry tigers. It is a
      condition of fright based on an illusion of our own creation. As soon as we take ourselves to be a separate agent-a somebody-we are more or less in competition with or trying to be protected
      from-otherbodies. With the beliefs in "I," "me," and 'mine" come
      fear and craving. It's a package deal. Waking up is the refusal to
      indulge this nightmare any longer, the simple decision to stop
      pretending. Beyond that, nothing further is required. In other words, you need not add anything. You need only to no longer entertain thoughts and beliefs that are not true. Then this beauty that you are, your true nature, shines through effortlessly and brilliantly.

      (The entire article may be read from the website.)