ND Highlights for Saturday, April 21, 2001

  • Beth352006@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 22, 2001
      A happy birthday to Mira  and to Michael
      Desire "to be" vs "am"

      occur/don't occur in the
      Totality of the ever present,
      non-present, non-moment.

      And it is all absolutely appropriate.

      "It" is so simple, "it" is often overlooked.

      Seek ye first the Kingdom of God
      and all else will be revealed.

      If you think Heaven is in the sky,
      the birds will get there first.
      If in the ocean, the fish will
      get there first.
      You Are Invited

      A gathering will be held September 28 - 30, 2001, at
      Pema Osel Ling <(http://www.polmountainretreat.com>.
      The facility has been reserved and a deposit made.
      Available will be the main house which has 3 bedrooms,
      a living room,  kitchen, etc., where we can get together.
      There will also be the amazing outdoors, of course, and
      a drive  to the beach is planned for those who wish to partake.
      This can be a very small and intimate gathering, or a l
      arge one. Right now the people committed to attending
      are cee, Paul ("Waterlift"), Gene Poole and lady
      partner, Omkara (Tim Gerchmez), myself. This will
      be an unstructured gathering. Rates are $25-50 per
      day plus $27 for three full prepared and served meals
      per day, optional. Camping is available for $25 per day.
      Others have expressed their interest, but this is the time
      to circle the date on your calendar and Commit! Now that
      you know the rate structure, location, dates, please let me
      know if you're going to 'be there'. I'll get back to you with
      more details on accomodations, payment, etc. Please
      write me if you have any questions.

      Jerry Katz
      A Little Poem

      Silly people
      Doing silly things.
      These too are one.

      Vicious people
      Doing vicious things.
      These too are one.

      Tears of laughter
      Tears of joy
      Tears of sorrow
      Tears of pain
      The source of tears is one.

      How can this be?
      It is too much,
      I am slain.

      From the Heart of Awakening - Mu

      The wisdom of Enlightenment is inherent in every one
      of us. It is  because of the delusion under which our
      mind works that we fail to  realize it ourselves, and t
      hat we have to seek the advice and the guidance of
      Enlightened ones before we can know our own Essence of
      Mind. You should know that so far as Buddha-nature
      is concerned there  is no difference in an Enlightened
      person and an ingnorant one. What  makes the difference
      is one realizes it, while the other is ignorant of it.
      Free Will vs Determination

      Regarding "free will" there is a simple experiment:
      Sit on a chair, both feet on the ground.
      I want you to lift one foot, and it doesn't matter which one.
      Think it over... Which one will you lift?

      And when it has been lifted, was that because of:

      1. free will
      2. determinism
      3. choice
      4. god's choice
      5. god playing dice
      6. I don't know
      7. I don't care
      8. nobody cares

      (pick what is appropriate)

      Joy, laughter and humor,

      Warmest hello beloved friends

      There are so many wonderful postings on this list.
      I feel so grateful for all that is shared with Love and
      the deep yearning to come to Unity. I share
      with you from my heart - hoping that it may - even
      in a tiny way - be of help to someone who is reading
      this beautiful list.

      We can all freely share from our own direct experiences,
      trusting that we can accept each other's experiences
      and views with tenderness and deep courtesy. So I share
      with you as you so freely and lovingly share with all
      on this list. We share not to display our erudition or
      unique awakening. We share - in our humanity - what
      we feel, have and yearn for- freely and with Love.

      To you on this list who have experienced the awesome
      wonder and vastness of the One - I bow to you - to the
      Love that you have witnessed in truth and
      not in concept. To the One reflected in each
      and every one of us who share
      together on this list - I bow to you.

      I share two little poems with you. The first was
      written by a beautiful Sufi student who was experiencing
      the intoxication of the blissful face of the
      Beloved. The second is a very poor reply from my broken heart.

      Beloved, how can I sleep when the full moon enters
      my window through Your door? When everything is
      calling to me of Your love, touching every part of
      me, with You. Quivering in the aliveness, of the oneness,
      singing this song of love, the eternal chant of living light.

      Beloved, how can I sleep if You continue to caress
      me with every sound? Awakening my spirit's longing to
      embrace You, forever, in this, Your invitation to Love's
      Divine dance.

      Beloved, how can I sleep, turning, turning, inside love,
      there is no sleep, only the love making movement of
      this moment...

      I can't keep quiet any longer! Love burns in me so
      deeply that I am the sun in the day and the moon at night.
      Even then I see the moon's face in the light of day, and the
      sun stars through the dark of night.

      I can't keep quiet any longer! Oh, how you fill me and
      everything with Your love. I want to shout and scream,
      laugh and cry, sing and dance, play and work, pray and
      chant, all that You are, inside me and not hold onto any of
      It! To give it all all the time.

      I can't keep quiet any longer! In this joyous leaping lov
      e I feel for You!

      Beloved who is sleeplessI

      In the sweetness of the Love

      Your song of rapture echoes in my heart that is your own

      Now come with me and our caravan of desert beggars  to
      deeper unity

      Your hidden eye can see the light the song of love r
      ings in your secret ear

      Now can you bare to see your brother in tattered
      blood-stained robes and hear his groans of anguished

      Now can you bare to see your sister in blackened
      flesh and hear her breathe
      in rasp of death's arrival

      Will you flee in horror at these sights And hide in suns,
      moons, stars of inner lights

      Will you ask to know where love goes to hide amidst
      hese ruins of shattered
      minds and bodies of decay

      Will you still dance in gentle fields of verdant green
      as your feet walk through bombed streets red and
      wet with innocent blood

      Will you still hear the melodies of angels fair and
      bright when voices filled with rage and unbound pride
      call to war and idol making

      Can you bare to mix together the honey and the
      cup of poison and drink it
      down like fresh pressed wine

      Can you look into the sky the sky of darkened
      night the sky of radiant day
      and care not for either black or white

      Can you bare to bathe in refreshing waters and
      burn in scorching ovens and
      make no separation

      Can you bare to be extinct to all you think you
      are all your heart can feel
      and all you think He is

      And in your nothingness that is but a holy
      created picture of His infinite revelation

      To join the lines and rows of desert beggars in
      our caravan and in unison
      Fall upon our faces in endless Awe and Silent Adoration
      Living in the moment

          Sitting silently,

          Doing nothing,

          Spring comes,

      And the grass grows by itself.

      Reflecting in the Moment

      Not only the nature of grass, but the nature of 'everything'... with
      people, birthdays are celebrated as something special (just
      reflecting on this due to the recent posts, not anything specific)...

      If you really think about it, it's kind of strange -- is it an
      accomplishment to be born, or even to have lived some length of
      time?  The body has no built in wish to live a short or a long time,
      there isn't a craving 'to live long' like there are 'cravings' to eat
      or to drink water.

      Some people do make 'long life' into something to be achieved, a goal
      to be met... and in doing so, miss the fact that a 5 minute life of
      infinite blessings could be much 'fuller' than 2000 years of drudgery.

      We get locked into a fixed position...and egoistic view. We allow
      things like competitiveness to keep us separate from ourselves and
      each other...as soon as we do that, we enclose and limit our self.
      Accepting that "I" know nothing regardless of who "I" was conditioned
      to be has been the ultimate form of freedom. That is the letting go...
      There is nothing to be accomplished.
      Take Away Mind's Attachment

      Two posts not found on nds, bear on the topic:

      The following is from Edg Duveyoung's Consciousness Exercises:

      Exercise # 8 The talker and the doer

      Position your hand in a way that it is comfortable. Keep your
      index finger motionless--DO NOT move it--and stare at it
      intensely while you say these words aloud AND mentally

      I want my finger to move.

      Finger! Move!

      I command my finger to move.

      This finger will now move.

      I am completely controlling this finger, and I will now move it.

      This finger is an intimate part of me and will obey my every

      I give myself permission to move this finger despite the
      instructions of this exercise that I should not do so, and I
      will now move this finger.

      Now, after you stop speaking the above sentences, simply move
      your finger--go ahead--it's okay. Note that you DO NOT have to
      have words going through your head to make this motion happen.
      Move it quite a bit and focus on the effortlessness of the
      motion AND note the exacting precision and control you have over
      the motion.

      Ask yourself, Who moves my finger?

      Who was speaking the "words-that-were-disobeyed"?

      What is the difference between the "person-that-talks-inside-me"
      and the "doer of my actions"?

      Who am I? The talker or the doer or both? If both, how is this
      logically possible?

      Why am I so comfortable with this set up?

      Why does the "talker" usually assume "it" is the "doer"? Why
      doesn't the talker say things like, "I saw my finger move, but I
      had no part in the moving of it."

      Does the doer also create the "talker's words?"

      What percentage of my life "happens" without the talker's
      participation? What is the value of the talker? Do I always have
      to have mental words to accompany my actions and feelings?
      During the times of my life that are most filled with meaning,
      how often does the talker "come up with words to match the

      If my talker could always generate "really beautiful words" for
      my life, would my life then be much more meaningful?

      If the talker comes up with words that call for an action I
      consider immoral, can I "just not do it" like I "just didn't
      move the finger"? Can I give the doer permission to ignore the

      Would the doer ever act without my "final go-ahead"?

      How often am I aware that I am "finally giving permission" to
      the doer to act?

      What would life be like if I were always consciously in charge
      of all doing?

      And this contribution by Anthony Craig to Circle of Friends list:

      "One there lived a wolf who slaughtered a great many sheep and
      reduced many people to tears.

      At length, I do not know why, he suddenly felt qualms of
      conscience and began to repent his life; so he decided to reform
      and to slaughter no more sheep.

      In order to do this he went to a priest and asked him to hold a
      thanksgiving service.

      The pries began the service and the wolf stood weeping and
      praying in the church. The service was long. The wolf had
      slaughtered many of the priest's sheep, therefore the priest
      prayed earnestly that the wolf would indeed reform. Suddenly the
      wolf looked through a window and saw that the sheep were being
      driven home. He began to fidget but the priest went on and on
      without end.

      At last the wolf could contain himself no longer and he shouted:
      "Finish it priest!" Or all the sheep will be driven home and I
      shall be left without supper!""

      This is a very good fairy tale because it describes man very
      well. He is ready to sacrifice everything, but after all today's
      dinner is a different matter.

      A man always begins with something big. But this is impossible,
      thre can be no choice, we must begin with the things of today.

      Gurdjieff ISOM p. 366