for Tuesday, 8/3/99

  • andrew macnab
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 4, 1999
      Hi, This the Nondual Digest,
      a sampling of posts from the
      Nonduality Salon mailing
      list.

      ____________________________________

      Harsha wrote;

      Sri Ramana used to say that all deep thinking people are fascinated by the
      nature of consciousness. In
      Satsanga, the beauty and self-delight of awareness which underlies all
      manifestations of energy
      becomes more apparent. People who are in love with the Truth might worship
      God in different ways and
      in different forms. The attraction of Truth does not let them go, until the
      Truth of their Own Heart is
      Recognized, and there is nothing left to let go. Here is a repeat of a
      stanza from one of my poems.

      Here the devotee sings to the Goddess.

      Either let me be intoxicated

      in your love completely

      or put on my robes of joy

      and rob me absolutely.

      Judge me guilty

      in the court of love

      or absolve me absolutely

      find me flawed if you like

      but never hold me weakly

      no middle ground is possible

      for lovers who love completely!

      Harsha

      Here is a tiny snip from an ongoing conversation;

      Gene: Even if in reality, there are no 'parts' such as ego/id/instinct, or
      center/VS/whole, discussion can show how harmless these parts are, and thus
      kill that much superstition. Superstition is real. It can be killed,
      whereas ego is endlessly reincarnating (spawning through time... ).

      Ivan: I wonder if you could re-state this if it is clear that we are
      talking of the Me. From centerless awareness the Me is seen for
      what is -- knowledge, memories etc... From the Me, one is it,
      limited by those same memories, knowledge etc...

      From: "John Willemsens" <advaya@...>

      Hello,
      Self and ego are clusters of ideas with which we identify.
      They change with the nature/quality of our perception.
      Buddhism warns us not to see them as things.
      Important note: Consciousness (to know) is a biological phenomenon. All
      living beings (plants, animals, humans) experience the world in their own
      ways. Each organism engages in a creative relationship with the external
      world, bringing forth a myriad of different ways of knowing, whereby the
      physiology of the organism changes(!) accordingly in the process.
      John Willemsens.
      ______________________________________

      Dear Jerry:

      "He who gives in first, wins." I have found this to be true in all things;
      the place I still balk is when the brick is my child....in your opinion,
      are
      there "bricks" in your life which would cause you to doubt or transgress
      against this wisdom?

      Love, Kristi
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

      Yes, there are such bricks. Hopefully there is awareness of
      the transgression, for whatever that's worth. It may be
      worth everything or it may be an excuse to do whatever
      anyone wants. I think I'm responsible for looking carefully
      at my actions. When I do that, I realize my actions may be
      wrong, unnatural, and done for reasons I don't understand.

      However, I can know that there is a 'center' or something I
      call my 'real nature', and I can commune with it as often as
      possible until I 'become it'. How one can 'become it' and
      still be screwed up and do bad things, or at least be
      'imperfect' in some obvious way, is a major topic for
      discussion. Thanks, Kristie.

      Love,
      Jerry

      Books;

      Dear List,

      I recently read Paul Brunton's old book, "A Search in Secret India." The
      Guru he found there was at Arunachala, whom he called "Ramana Mahareeshi"
      in the book. Is this the same person commonly referred to as Sri Ramana
      Maharshi?

      Fascinating book, highly recommended, if you can still find it. First
      printing was in 1932, I think.

      With Love,

      Tim
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

      Harsha: Yes. Brunton was an extremely astute observer of India.
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

      ... As India was of him. At every turn (in the book) he ran into somebody
      that knew him better than he knew himself, knew what path he was going to
      take. It really is a surprising book, and is especially interesting for
      those who are interested in the toppic of siddhis, and their
      worth/worthlessness (he discovered genuine powers, and fake ones). Brunton
      heard rumor of masters living in caves, out of contact with humanity
      entirely, that were (are?) many hundreds of years old (the term "over 400
      years old" was used).

      With Love,

      Tim
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

      KKT: Paul Brunton (1898-1981) was a "Master (Guru)"
      on his own. But there's an interesting and beautifully
      written book by Jeffrey Moussaieff Masson, "My Father's
      Guru -- A Journey through Spirituality and Disillusion"
      in which P.B. (Jeffrey's father's Guru) was revealed as
      a "pseudo" Guru (if not a fake!). This book makes one
      thinks over the problem of the spiritual "circus".

      BTW, Tim, there's another interesting book, "God is My
      Adventure -- A Book on Modern Mystics Masters and
      Teachers" by Rom Landau, first published in 1935. In
      this book Landau met and talked about Keyserling, Bo
      Yin Ra, Rudolf Steiner, J.Krishnamurti, Shri Meher Baba,
      P.D.Ouspensky, Gurdjieff and others.

      KKT

      Gloria Lee wrote:

      <snip>

      > AS I have long said, "it" approached me, I sure wasn't looking where I was

      > going. Who knew?
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

      Marcia:

      I have found that to be the single most significant thing
      in my experience and that is that it isn't anything which
      "i" did but rather was "i" was done.
      ____________________________________

      The moment a man/woman realises that the Me
      is of the same nature as the sea, a storm, the sun
      a wind, that it shares the order of existence of anything
      else that Is, order is established....and the same Me
      sufers an effortless transformation.....becuse it shares
      the nature and origin of the universe. A boundary has
      been removed...and the Me is not anymore Me.
      It may be also called -- total imanent freedom.

      ivan
      _____________________________________

      From: "Tomas Diaz de Villegas" <legasser@...>

      Just wanted to share this reflection:

      In reflecting on this, I discovered that what I truly want with my whole
      being, with my whole life is what I most truly am already- awareness itself

      their is no way to experience awareness or know awareness

      it is

      everything occurs in it

      all intellect, all thinking, all knowing, all feeling
      all conceptions and experiences of something and nothing, of birth and
      death, of heaven and hell, of doubt and certainty, of perfection and
      imperfection, of damnation and salvation, of me and other, of this or that

      it is always right here, right now

      it is before I think of it, before I look at it

      becuase of this it is unknowable, it is unknowability itself

      knowing happens in it

      this is why relaxing into what I truly am is reffered to as unknowing

      it is relaxing into the true nature of everything
      it is the heart of everything, is the very source of love, the very source
      and truth of all things